Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Laptops For Navigation

My wife and I use our laptop with MS Streets and Trips for navigation in our RV. We find the sunlight and generally daylight make the screen hard to see. I was wondering about putting an antiglare filter on the screen but am wondering how any of you deal with this situation.

Thanks...

Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The reason you have the glare is because your screen is probably not "active matrix." Our first laptop did not have the active matrix and my wife could not use it in bright light. So this one was purchased with the active matrix screen which allows viewing in bright light. We use Delorme's Street Atlas with Earthmate GPS.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Both of our laptops can be hard to read outdoors also. Turning up the brightness helps some but takes the battery down faster. We did buy a tinted screen that can be hung on the passenger window. Not much one can do since we don't like to pull at night.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:02 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is a minor problem for us..We use a sun shade on the offending window when able or move the LT around for a better view. In normal daylight we are OK.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:25 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Chester, I don't know what brand of laptop you are using but I will make a comment about our Dell laptops. On battery power (no AC) the default is for the screen to use less light to conserve power, however there is an "override". Hold down the FN (Function) key while pressing the UP ARROW key on the keyboard. Several presses on the up arrow will brighten the screen to maximum. Of course this will deplete the battery much more quickly, but it can make the laptop usable when it otherwise would not be.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:39 AM   #6
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Check to see if your program has an option for using in bright light. I believe Delorme does.

Select High-Contrast Colors to darken the background of the map, making roads, highways, and other map features easier to view when using a laptop in a car.

This is what the Delorme program says.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:58 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If no bright light option, does the Night colors option help at all?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Toshiba 15.5" screen with a DC-DC power converter to keep the display at full power PLUS tinted windows on the truck keeps the screen visible 24/7. My Toshiba is a desktop capable system with a fully robust processor so it needs 19 VDC, the DC-DC converter capable of supplying 200 watts was not cheap.

I like Streets and Trips, it has a night mode turning all screen displays green and has easy controls. The downside is its not RV route friendly even with the databases for low bridge clearances.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 AM   #9
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Thanks everyone. I have a Toshiba laptop. I'll check out the program for the night option and see how that works.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In S&T 2006, on the toolbar there is a dropdown box with options for
RoadMap
TerrainMap
PoliticalMap
RoadMap (night)

I've used the night roadmap at night but haven't tried it in bright sunlight. I'm no longer using a laptop for navigation (bought a Garmin) but that night option might help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
I fashioned an "all around shade" for mine using 1/4" foam board I bought at Wal Mart. I used duct tape for the hinges, and velcro to hold it in place. Be sure to use the black color foam board (and wear a dark colored shirt!).

One of these days I have to learn how to post photos in my messages so I can "show" you how I did it. Anyone want to walk me through it?
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:37 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
If you go to the MOC homepage (there's a "Home" link in the top R/H corner of this page), and then in the R/H column about half way down there's a link that says "Adding A Photograph To The MOC Forum" which takes you here:
http://www.montanaowners.com/AddingPhoto.html

You can practice in the "practice" forum until you become a pro!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #13
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I use a little hood that fastens to the 'puter with velcro. I used it for three years on the boat and now for 5 years in the truck. I ran a little search and came up with three suppliers. (Mine was $29 but that was 8 years ago.)

http://www.mobilevehiclemounts.com/acc_pc_shade.htm

http://www.gomobilenow.com/pc_shade_...shade_s/45.htm

http://www.mobiledesk.com/Adjustable...ok%20Visor.htm

I use one similar to this last one
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote