Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #21
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
The following is from the brochure of the new lot we just bought in Florida.

"Village and Preserve lots come with metered 50/30/20 amp electric services."
"Town Lots Equipped for PArk Models have 100 amp and 50 amp electric service"

We bought one of the Town lots so we will soon see what this means.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #22
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by deadeye

Found something I don't like about my 2955 Montana. The engineer or employ who dreamed up plugging in the power source at the rear of the unit should be FIRED!!!!! That is the most crude design I have seen on a camper in my 65 years of lifetime. I retired from management in the electronics field. Why couldn't it be located like most all other units on the drivers side of the trailer. Most drive-thrus are about half way on the drivers side I have found in my travels. Maybe there is a reason.... I haven't figured it out as of yet----- only that you get plenty of exercise stringing cord out and coiling it up again. More cord to stumble over. Maybe they sell more cord that way....JB
Well I've had my 2955 for over 3 years of full timing and I absolutely prefer the rear connection. I have been in way too many CGs where the electric tower was on the side and more often than not interfered with the slide. Only once did I have to use my 30 AMP extension cord and that was because the electric was way behind the trailer. Had I had a side connection on the trailer I would have needed a 3rd extension cord. Give me a rear electrical connection over the side anytime.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #23
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I'd like to see them split the difference...leave the power receptacle in the back of the coach, but put it on the side in the back. That way it will easily reach rear power and not be as long of a stretch to side power. I don't like the way it looks when we are in a pull through and the rigs are all lined up and we have this big ole cord hanging off the rear of the rig...looks like a black tail.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #24
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Helen
Helen ... we will be very interested to hear how well you like your new location. My brother lives in the area, has prowled around the development, and provided a very positive and impressive report. It sounds like the developers are doing things right and not trying to cut corners. We look forward to your reports when you move in and get settled. I also suspect you may find us knocking on your front door one day. I anticipate a visit to Wilderness sometime in the next year or so.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #25
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Cat320, you can move that cord. Bob moved ours to the rear portside and installed the Marinco receptacle and plug on the cord. We like the new location and not having to stuff the cord in the rear cap.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:42 AM   #26
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Maybe we could get Keystone to put one on the drivers side and one in the rear. It would be something that other companies don't have as of yet.....That would make everyone a Happy Camper..JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:06 AM   #27
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Helen
I believe the 100 amp electric service is for you if you have a park model put on the lot. There are no RVs that I know of that are wired to accept 100 amp service. Yes, the 50 amp service is, in essence 100 amps (50 amps/leg) but it's still 50 amp service. The 100 amp service, as I said, is not for RVs.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:40 AM   #28
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
You may have been kidding, Deadeye, but that's really not all that crazy of an idea! Maybe Keystone will read it here and find a way to incorporate it in the future Montanas. Now wouldn't that be great?
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:28 AM   #29
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Having two electrical connections for power would be a huge safety issue. The unused connection would have live male connections that could be touched and would cause a very bad electrical shock or possible a lethal shock. Even with locking access doors, no manufacture would assume that liability.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:45 AM   #30
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Sooooo what happens when I fire up my generator and don't have a cord plugged in??? Am I or someone else going to find that this plug or plugs is HOT since my generator is internal wired without using the power cord to fill the plug hole. Generator is mounted in the front compartment under the pin on my 5er....[? Looks like they are already liable.... GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY..JB
Old 01-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #31
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Quote:
quote:I believe the 100 amp electric service is for you if you have a park model put on the lot. There are no RVs that I know of that are wired to accept 100 amp service. Yes, the 50 amp service is, in essence 100 amps (50 amps/leg) but it's still 50 amp service. The 100 amp service, as I said, is not for RVs.

Orv
Yea I kinda figured that Orv. We will be moving over there next week and will see for ourselves just where it is used. We had a shed built with several outlets and will be putting in a washer and dryer in there. I think that might be where some of the current extra current gets used until /if/or when we put a park model on it. It is nice to know that we will have options.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #32
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob n pam

Cat320, you can move that cord. Bob moved ours to the rear portside and installed the Marinco receptacle and plug on the cord. We like the new location and not having to stuff the cord in the rear cap.
Did you move the entire receptacle? If so, what did you put in the old hole?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I like the idea of having both rear and side connections. Maybe the one on the side could be in the connection center. Maybe there would be a liability issue but I would think there would be a solution for that potential problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:45 AM   #34
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Cat320, first Bob moved the junction box from inside the coach to underneath, cut the cord to a length to reach the left rear side, cut a hole to fit the new Marinco socket, installed and attached the cord. He then attached the plug end to the remaining cord, and wah lah, a removable cord. As for the hole in the rear cap, he took off the outside cover, inserted a foam plug with a piece of PVC as a channel to the inside and reattached the cover. He also put a filler cap on the inside for the PVC to rest in. We wanted to be able to thread an extension cord outside if needed and this does the trick. Just holler if you need any more info.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #35
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Interesting thread, I really don't know why so many people resist the center area power access, it's kinda like the Chevy-Dodge-Ford truck deal, or the Diesel-Gasser one, everyone has a strong opinion, not giving much.
I like the idea.
One way around the Two access points, is a transfer switch relay, one energized, one not. Two 50 amp contactors, one That senses the power, then dis-engages the other plug. Safe!
I have the same transfer switch, all automatic, on my Inverter-shore power hook up.
Deadeye, I told you it would be controversial.....
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #36
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
OZZ--- That is what we need to do on threads, talk about them a little more. I know that you do a wonderful job of suggesting things -- Thanks...I am sure there are untapped ideas on how to solve things if we can just get people to open up a little bit..JB
Old 01-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #37
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I did hear a CG owner this summer (can't remember where we were) that mentioned he was getting ready to redo his CG eletric and change over to 100 amp service in one area. This was a newer RV CG. He told me that some newer, more expensive Class As were planning on going to the 100 amp option (still can run 50/30 also). He wanted to be able to advertise this fact. Only place I ever heard that.

I'd hate to pay that elect bill...

I guess though, if you are running around in a $2.5 mil Class A. This would be inconsequential...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The site we are in now has 20/30/50 /100 amp service.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:41 PM   #39
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Anyone see any RV set up for 100 amp??? I'd love to see that unit...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #40
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
My neighbor has a 52' houseboat...twin 454s, 12.5 kw gen, twin 13.5 A/Cs, full sized all electical house appliances, and more...he has two 50 amp power cords.