Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2005, 09:35 AM   #1
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
GPS GARMIN 330C or ????

i KNOW THERE SHOULD BE A THREAD FOR THIS, BUT CAN'T SEEM TO LOCATE IT.
I AM IN THE MARKET FOR A GPS, SYSTEM WITH VOICE GUIDANCE DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS.

I AM TIRED OF GETTING LOST IN FRONT OF MY DW and 37 feet of 5th wheel!!!!

MY DW GOT ME A SWEAT SHIRT THAT SAYS "REAL MEN DON'T ASK DIRECTIONS""

I WONDER IF THAT WAS SOME KIND OF HINT.
I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME HELP HERE GUYS!!!!!!!!!

LATER JOHN H

Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:49 AM   #2
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
We use Magellen it gives voice directions but does not accept voice commands. Like all of the others it can get confused at times but not nearly as often as I do. We have the system with all of the street level maps on the hard drive. This save a lot of downloading and not having the map that you need. Magellan is my personal choice but, this could be a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge type discussion.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:24 AM   #3
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I just this week got my new DeLorme program. It is the third one I've had. You can program almost anything you can think of into it. I also have an Earthmate GPS for it but we rarely use that aspect of it due to the random nature of our travels. You can set your fuel tank capacity and MPG and it will show fuel stops; How many hours OR miles you want to drive and it will show stops. You can define your POIs and how far you're willing to drive to see them. It has 'voice recognition' capabilities so you can talk to it. It tells you in advance of turns, exits and will get you back on track if you make a wrong turn. Jeanne had Rand McNally Street Finder & Trip Planner and, in my estimation, no where as good as DeLorme. This version was $59.00. When we got the GPS tracker, the program and the tracker was close to $100.00.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I also have the Earthmate (DeLorme) that plugs into laptop. I love it. And like Bob says you can do a whole lot of things with it. I downloaded all the Walmart's, Flying J's, low clearances, etc. so now it does even more. Do a search on here and you will get a lot of feedback. You will also have a lot of support here as there are many that are using GPS.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:35 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I have a Garmin Street pilot 111 that has voice and visual screen displays. Have had it for 4 years and love it. It's small enough to fit on the top of the dash. Others have PC type software that I'm sure is as good but you have to contend with the PC in the vehicle. Garmin now has new models available that offer remote control for working the unit. Additionally, Garmin offers updates to the mapping so the unit can stay current with road changes.

Look at them all mentioned in this post and see which fits your needs.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:09 AM   #6
Montana_3151
Established Member

M.O.C. #3151
We have the Garmin 2610 with audio and the changeable flash cards. With a 1gb card I can put 80 to 85% of the U.S. into the dbase. Works well with touch screen and so far I am still the one who gets lost.....not the GPS.

Just my two cents worth!

Montana_3151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:04 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I also use the Garmin 2610 and have had very good results from it. I even take it with me when I fly somewhere and rent a car.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We have the Garmin 2610, and it does not suit both of us. We also have the Microsoft Streets & Trips, which also does not suit both of us. We will end up running both. The Garmin has better warnings about stay to the left, then hang right. She also (female voice, so it became she, and on a bad day, she became, well, fill in your own name) does the recalculate thing quite nice and fast if you miss a turn or decide to go your own way! She does not however, have a lot of the "places" ole researcher Carol wants to go. S & T does have a lot more of those places and last summer we had to use both systems at the same time to get where I wanted to go. I prefer the screen size of the computer and the ability to scale the maps up and down quite rapidly and still see street names, etc. Garmin lacks in this, her screen is just too small.

They seem to use pretty much the same maps, so if there is a missing subdivision or wrong curve in the map on one, you will probably find it the same way on the other.

Like I said, Al loves the Garmin, I would never spend that kind of coin on it, I am thrilled with the much cheaper S & T. Each to his own.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Carol,
I so agree with you on the size of the screen. That was the big reason I wanted the unit that plugs into the laptop. Maps are too small for these "older" eyes.
Happy trails..............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:29 AM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have a Garmin 2610 for two years use every day and love it. Garmin has some new units I would check them out.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:25 AM   #11
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
0 I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR INPUT, LOOKING FOR A CHRISTMAS TREE TO PUT THE GPS UNDER OR LAPTOP.... THANKS AGAIN. JOHN H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Both Delorme's Street Atlas and Microsoft's 2006 version of Streets and Trips have voice directions (the 2005 version did not). I have both and use both although I'm becoming partial to S&T's easier route planning. S&T's voice is a bit weak, however, but it's enough to clue me to look at the laptop. One thing I like a lot about the new S&T is an option called "Use Dynamic Turn Viewing" or something similar. With that option the map will zoom as you get closer to the next turn so you can see the turn details without doing anything on the keyboard. After the turn it zooms back out enough to keep the next turn on the screen as well as current location. If you do this, turn off the trails option as there is a bug and with trails turned on the software sometimes will hang. Usually that happens when you need it most, when approaching the turn. With trails turned off this problem goes away. I like having the larger screen of the laptop and the greater detail than most handhelds give you. Just my opinion, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #13
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
This topic is about a year old. Does anyone have any updates on the information contained here or is it still good info?
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Nuvi 350 gets the nod for me...it has a battery and will fit in your pocket as well. Great little unit, and could also be used to locate your vehicle if you were at a place with one of those HUGE lots that you can get lost in.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 PM   #15
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I don't have one but a friend of mine uses TomTom and swears by it.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don and Bonnie - haaha -most of these units in this thread have probably already been replaced a couple of times by the manufacturer. I'm with Bruce on the Nuvi 350, but even that has been bettered by a newer wide screen model. The advantage to the Nuvi is it fits in your shirt pocket and is touch screen! No joystick for me while I'm driving.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #17
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I had one, it was lost more that I was. When you get yours I'll take your shirt "real mean don't ask directions"... I took mine back and spent the money on something more useful and a new mapbook.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Here is another thread, currently ongoing, about GPS.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=18556

As you can tell, Mrs. CountryGuy/CountryGuy still feels pretty much the same, as do a number of the other posters. Once we like or dislike, we seem to keep the same likes or dislikes!

Like with so many of these discussions, it all comes down to personal preference. Maps all the same, software and hardware are different.

Ain't it grand?? So many choices, so much fun!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #19
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I have the garmin 2720 and it has voice command and a preety good screen. Has very good volume control on it and it is quick to recalculate in the event you do not listen to HER Hah Hah!!!!. It also has preloaded maps of us and cananda with p.o.i. and download upgrades. Also it has a fixed hard drive which is more durable than the spinning drive. I had the delorme street atlas before the garmin and much prefer the garmin. It is user friendly and a lot more portable than my laptop was. But this is only my preference.Good luck on your Christmas gift.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:54 PM   #20
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
If the screen size is a issue for you Garmin now has the 7200 model.It has a 7 inch screen.I got this unit about 5 monthes ago.It not only tells you when to turn but tells you the street name as well.But the main selling point on this unit is the screen size.Its plug and play right out of the box.The entire United states and Canada are pre loaded.It can also be used as a back up camera.With this unit I also purchased the GM11 which is a traffic service.It will warn you of traffic problems and reroute you if you want to.It comes with a 15 month supscription which can be renewed at 60 bucks a year.The only draw back on the 7200 is the price.These babies aren`t cheap.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote