Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2005, 03:00 AM   #21
Montana_4623

M.O.C. #4623
Hey guys, just to let you know, you don't have to have a passport to cross the mexico border in Texas, just a US drivers liscense. Also good to have is a birth certificate. Unless somethings changed since 9/11, I've crossed the border many times with just a US license.

Montana_4623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 03:12 AM   #22
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
It is changing Amandacherie7. That is why the discussion. Those that are crossing now, are telling me that it is easier to cross with a passport. We have been crossing at Progreso with drivers license only for 2 years, not even the birth certificate. Never a problem. 9/11 set into motion the current changes, sad to say. If you are crossing by land there is one date for needing a passport, if crossing by ship there is another date.

OHHHH, see this is your FIRST POST! Welcome to the forum!!! Happy trails!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:35 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well We are not to excited about travel to Mexico except for close to the border..We traveled all the way to Mexico City a few years ago and kissed the ground when we crossed the border back to the USA..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:16 PM   #24
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

= If you are crossing by land there is one date for needing a passport, if crossing by ship there is another date.
So, I wonder that means for the Los Ebanos ferry?? ...and all the other ferry crossings between the US and Mexico, and Canada?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:46 PM   #25
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Don't know John & Donna,

I was at the post office today, and the gal there said we need next year to cross into Canada, well, to get back into USA. (Looking at the web site I posted earlier in this thread, I am not so sure she is correct, she readily admits she has been over worked and is WAYYY behind in her "required" reading on procedures.)

Anyway, her comment was: why wait, if you want to run over the border you will already have the passport.

Each has to make their own decision on this one, might be worth losing a year, just to be prepared, have it off our long "to do" list, etc.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:16 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are renewing now and have the paperwork in front of me..The passport application fee is 55.00 to renew as long as you were issued a passport within the last 15 years. The cost of a new photo would be additional. The form is DS-82 if you are renewing..You can download the form at www.travel.state.gov
Old 09-20-2005, 01:48 AM   #27
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Here is a site to try. It gives you all the info re when and if passports are required. Keep in mind it is a Canadian publication but it does give info when U.S. citizens are required to have them also. www.voyage.gc.ca
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:49 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Doesn't a passport have to be renewed every so many years? For that reason I'd tend to wait until I think I'm going to need it, then I'd get it. Maybe I'm squeaking but I don't like spending money for something I don't think I'll need for a good while yet. Am I way off base on this?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:31 AM   #29
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I'm sure not going to get one until we need it Steve. Ours is $85.00 ea and only good for 5 yrs. I think the U.S. passport is good for 10 yrs and a lot less $$.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:44 AM   #30
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

US passports are good for 10 years. There is a lot of conflicting info out there on when we will need a passport to get into US from Canada and from Mexico, are you going by sea, or land. Even my postmaster(mistress) is confused, she thinks we will need USA passport to get back from Canada this January. From reading that web site I posted a page or two back in this thread, I don't see that. What I see is that they announced ONE thing, then decided it would create too much panic buying, which of course, would mean that the officials would have to really work (OUCH, did I say that????) So, they changed the dates. IF, I read the page right, and there are no promises that I did, they can change their minds again and change the dates again.

I think Mexico you will be OK to go across and back with a drivers license and/or birth certificate this coming winter season. Even Canada. After December 2006, I think you will have trouble getting back from Canada without a passport.

SOOOO, seeing that there is really only a 1 year grace, if we want to go into Canada, say to Niagara Falls, or up to Alaska, Al and I have decided to just renew ours NOW. Hopefully we will not have a long delay due to a rush for new passports.

I believe that Katrina may have already made a mess with passport applications, and it already might take a bit longer to get them.

NOW, my disclaimer. HA HA, I may have misread the pages I was reading, there was a lot of information and I am sure it should be read more than once, even more than two times.

Have heard that if you go into Mexico right now, it is easier to get back with the passport.

Those walking into a border town for shopping and mob fixes, probably can get back and forth pretty easy with the driver's license or birth certificate.

Al and I figure we might waste 1/10th of our passport fee by getting early. We have the time right now, hopefully we will miss any huge rush for passports, and while it is on our minds, it is just easier to get it over with.

Everyone will make their own decision based on their needs and desires, ain't it a grand world?? See ya in the passport line!
Old 09-22-2005, 03:38 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Passports are not cheap thats for sure . But they are handy.We live close to Canada and cross the border on many occasions.You have never really needed a passport but it is a whole lot less hassle to have one.Cruses are the same..Passport not really needed but less hassle to have one.Instead of wondering what document you may need, just take the passport. I think the first time US passport is now 85.00 for 10 years..thats 8.50 per year..for us worth it...
Old 10-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #32
Buddin
Established Member

M.O.C. #818
We live in RGV in Harlingen. If you are only going to the border towns, you won't need a passpost until the end of 2006.

Hope to be able to meet some of you MOC while you are in the valley this winter.
Buddin is offline   Reply With Quote