Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2004, 09:00 AM   #1
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
QUALITY CONTROL

You have wonderful lay-outs and beautiful interiors and decors;however, your units need to be checked out for quality much more. The quality control seems to be non-existant for our Montanas, way too many small annoying problems that may make some switch brands, i just hate the way your cabinets are installed,staples,staples, staples, ever heard of screws.Also, way to many slide-out leaks and you need to upgrade your suspensions, dump al-ko.People will pay the extra amount for the far superior Mor-ryde suspension, just make it standard.I know looks and lay-outs sell, but keystone needs to put more emphasis on qualty in the guts area, you are really lagging to other manufactors in this area,it will catch up to you,as I know we will not purchase another keystone, just way too many small problems, did not buy this for dragging back tto the dealer, want to use for rving, take the money allocated for warranty problems and put it in the coach, if you build quality your warranty re-calls and pay-outs will go down and customer satisfaction and word of mouth will rise significantly. Thank you

sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Given all the problems which you have recorded on the forum, your complaints would seem to be well founded and your determination not to buy another Keystone would seem to be a reasonable conclusion. However, since you don't state your year and model make here, your complaints are not going to do much good. No one can identify the problem unit you are talking about here. If you let Keystone know your model and year they might have a better idea which of their asembly lines they need to give the boot (though of course if you have been taking it in for all that warranty work they should know in any case). Anyway, the rest of us would SURE LIKE TO KNOW so that we can be watching our units for the same problems you have experienced. Knowledge is power!!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
need to add that to my profile so it shows up in my sig. The unit is a 2004 2955RL with the going to montana package and the customer value package, it has most options with the exception of, it has the filon fiberglass, not gel-coat and does not have the aluminium wheels. Sorry, i will add this to my profile.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
THANKS!!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:35 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Don't know what happened with your 2004 2955RL but my 2004 2955RL, with all the same options, had 2 minor problems. One being the hot water access door not being hung square. It was at least 1/8" out of square. An easy fix even for me. The other is a sagging shower door. This problem has been worked on at 4 different Montana dealers, none of which were able to correct the situation. I am sure it will be taken care of by Montana themselves next week at the rally. Neither of these problems would have me consider not to buy another Keystone muchless a Montana.

My problems seem miniscule compared to the problems you had. Your's appears to be a possible lemon situation and I would be addressing the problem directly to the folks at Keystone.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:36 PM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
We ditto sgf as we have had major problems with our unit and have spent a lot of time hauling the unit to and from the dealer - today FINALLY after a year and a half we have all problems fixed - ours was a lemon and they could have given us a new unit for all the time spent on our unit - somethings we didn't even have them address it just wasn't worth it and fixed them ourselves. I don't think 3 typed pages a good quality control - this includes a full shower replacement last winter. I must say that Keystone did step up to the plate in repairs but really there is a limit to what people should have to deal with - more quality control and attention to detail would be a plus.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:47 PM   #7
Ironman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1703
Send a message via AIM to Ironman Send a message via Yahoo to Ironman
Our Model 3295RK has also had multiple problems. Kitchen drawers are not square making them not shut properly. The first time we camped in it last August the air conditioner decided to drip constantly into the living room. We had a water leak over the back desk area from on the room where the fiberglass meets the rubber roof. The water pump would vibrate you out the door everytime it came on. We are in the process of having the awning replaced for the third time. The original awning came with a tear in it. The second one installed was cut narrower in the center than on the ends which let it roll up crooked. Hopefully the third will be right. The awning also catches everytime you try to roll it up and you have to pull it back out a couple of times to get it to shut. We have metal shavings under the kitchen lineoleum. It has been documented because they really don't want to take up the floor unless the shavings work there way totally through. The rubber seal on the outside storage door is hanging loose. The not-so "fantastic" vent does not open on its own. After a year we still haven't gotten the DVD/CD player to work or the surround sound speakers. At least 50% of the screws that hold the hinges on the cabinets are in crooked. These things are just off the top of my head - hopefully the dealer which is 142 miles one-way will have the problems solved when we pick it up and head to the rally. If not, maybe we can leave it at the factory!!!
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:02 AM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I know we had numerous problems with both our 2002 3655 and our new 2004 3685.there will always be petty things with all types of units, but I do agree they should really go through units with a fine tooth comb before shipping! sometimes even though it may have been an over site or an easy fix for the dealer, it's anoying to make so many trips to the dealer for repairs!!!!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:04 PM   #9
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Don't know what happened with your 2004 2955RL but my 2004 2955RL, with all the same options, had 2 minor problems. One being the hot water access door not being hung square. It was at least 1/8" out of square. An easy fix even for me. The other is a sagging shower door. This problem has been worked on at 4 different Montana dealers, none of which were able to correct the situation. I am sure it will be taken care of by Montana themselves next week at the rally. Neither of these problems would have me consider not to buy another Keystone muchless a Montana.

My problems seem miniscule compared to the problems you had. Your's appears to be a possible lemon situation and I would be addressing the problem directly to the folks at Keystone.
Glenn and Lorraine,
Really no problems with my 04 2955rl, however I do have the sagging shower door problem. The door was replaced once and that did it for a while. The door seems to be getting worse each time we go out. If you find the cure at the rally, please post and hopefuly I can repair mine. Enjoy at the rally!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote