Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
New curved outside steps not good for dogs

I want to tell Keystone that the new outside entry curved steps are not good for dogs because their front legs fall through the top step which now has an opening at the top. It is hard to get your dog to want to enter trailer after his legs have been hurt trying to enter.

5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rodger and Brenda,
Steps?! You use steps with dogs this size? Those are huge dogs. Look around at some parts places and see if you can get the type of replacement steps you'd like. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
We have a 2008 and one of our Labs did the same thing!
We started to use a ramp after, that which really helped when they got older.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 5ER

I want to tell Keystone that the new outside entry curved steps are not good for dogs because their front legs fall through the top step which now has an opening at the top. It is hard to get your dog to want to enter trailer after his legs have been hurt trying to enter.
I'm having that problem also. I noticed the bottom edge of our top step is very sharp. Our poor guy has hit it a couple of times. I'm going to try laying a carpet runner on them with a bungie securing it to each step. I was thinking it was a problem of him being able to see through them. He does better at going down steps than up anyways.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

We have a 2008 and one of our Labs did the same thing!
We started to use a ramp after, that which really helped when they got older.
Jack
What kind of ramp and where did you get it?
Old 09-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
You can get doggie ramps via online pet supply stores. JB is one of them, there are others, names escape me because I have NOT had my coffee! LOL May have available at a bricks store too, I just don't know.

We use step covers, helps keeps dirt out. Of course, my little ones rarely use the stairs, yep, their momma spoils, err, carries them.

Sorry the dogs are getting hurt and scare tho, as they say in other forums, NO LIKE!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We bought a Petstep ramp for our aging Golden. She had bad arthritis in both hips and could not go up or down the steps. And at 70 lbs, too much to try to lift in and out of the trailer and truck. But she did fine on the ramp.
We bought a telescoping plastic ramp from Petsmart first. But it was covered with a thin carpet like material and was somewhat slick. Her feet would sometimes slip and she did not really like to use it. The Petstep is much more stable and has much better footing. It is strong enough that I can even walk up/down it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #8
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

We bought a Petstep ramp for our aging Golden. She had bad arthritis in both hips and could not go up or down the steps. And at 70 lbs, too much to try to lift in and out of the trailer and truck. But she did fine on the ramp.
We bought a telescoping plastic ramp from Petsmart first. But it was covered with a thin carpet like material and was somewhat slick. Her feet would sometimes slip and she did not really like to use it. The Petstep is much more stable and has much better footing. It is strong enough that I can even walk up/down it.
Thanks, that looks like a great idea. I'll look into it.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Brenda ordered a ramp off the computer and now we have to teach the Irish Wolfhound (larger dog) to go up the ramp. This breed can be very smart and than very much afraid to do something new. We might have to fold up the steps and let her jump in.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I will be in Texas for at least 6 months for work and will be at the same site for the whole time so I am going to buy (I think)a Red Cedar staircase that you can break down and haul around. A bit pricey, but I am here for work. They are being shown to me after work today. They can be seen on www.rvwooden staircase.com
Old 10-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
It should be www.rvwoodenstaircase.com