Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #21
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I have used ESET Nod32 for a couple of years. One report I read stated that it is better at not slowing down the computer than other protection packages. It also updates daily but is not free.

Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Might want to read my post again, AVG pay version let nasties into two computers, and it hit Al's so fast you could not spin a top that fast in 10 lifetimes.

Worst part was, NO weekend tech support, and in fact, it took them well over 5 weeks to respond to our email with techy questions we asked when we got hit.

Cannot recommend AVG these days, they got the bloat and they got no techy support. Bye bye, we ate almost a full years subscription, TIMES two. Not happy, but, they did not do what they promised, and did not care to answer questions, and take off every weekend. MMMM, when do a lot of you do the most of your computing?? A lot will answer weekends.

Good luck, let us hear how you make out.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #23
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We also have ESET and love it. Updates automatically. Last winter was the first time we didn't have a problem when traveling. We did with AVG free. Very good at not slowing the computer down.

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:52 AM   #24
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I have over 19 years of information technology experience and Microsoft Security Essentials is comparable to all others out there. It is easy to install, does not take forever to load, works effortlessly in the background, and it is FREE.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
Recommend you go here http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.aspx
Free antivirus and antimalware.
Make sure you have all updates downloaded.

Buy a MAC if you have money to through away, Win7 is awesome.
ExPatNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I should have pointed out I'm also a retired IT techie although during retirement the tech is passing me by. So far, MS Security Essentials is doing an excellent job and works seamlessly in the background. On my prior laptop I had Trend Micro, which also was very good but is not free. Before that I had Norton. Norton didn't catch as much as TM did. But TM for Win7 isn't as friendly as I'd like so I switched to MSE. I think there are several very serviceable options out there. You're wise to be asking for comments from those using the products.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #27
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
If you check out Frys.com you'll often find a 3 user license for Norton for $5, or less.
I am an IT professional and I've seen viruses get through most of them, especially the free ones. The national organization I volunteer for uses McAfee and we see viruses and scareware getting though all the time. I use Norton at home and have never had a problem.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
MuddyPaws, you are currently active in IT while I'm 9 years retired, so your knowledge is more current. Do you have any knowledge of problems with the new version of MSE? The new one is supposed to be excellent. I would think Microsoft would work to make it really good because they're likely aware Windows is a huge target for virus and malware and if they can keep infections out, it helps the image and probably the sales. By the way, Mac's are also susceptible. They are just a smaller target so few bother. That could be a plus, though.

Also, isn't that Norton 3 user license $5 additional rather than $5 total? I had the 3 user for Trend Micro but now have the free MSE on both our laptops. Our TM subscription still has several months to go.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote