Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
RV Parks in Colorado Springs

Planning a trip to Colorado Springs, late August. I have a visitors guide. Looks like the Southwest quadant has the most campgrounds. Anyone camp ground recommended. Will stay at least a week. Looks like to get a better rate also.

Thanks, Lou

grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I can't recommend a RV park or campsite in Colorado Springs proper. Though I haven't stayed at any of them in the Southwest part of town, I have yet to hear anything good about them. My recommendation is to stay at Cheyenne Mountain State Park ( http://www.parks.state.co.us/Parks/C...ntainHome.aspx ). They have full hookups and the facility itself is only about 4 years old. Most campsites have a city lights view at night and there is wildlife (turkeys, deer, etc.) around you. Great hiking trails there as well. You will want to make reservations NOW if you want to stay there.
The park is on the south end of Colorado Springs and the entrance is across from Ft. Carson. The park is about 5 miles from downtown Colorado Springs and has grocery stores within about 2-3 miles.
Hope you enjoy your visit to our fair city. We love it here!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We liked the small c.g. in Manitou Springs, I think it is called Pikes Peak C.G. You can walk the quirky little town from the c.g. Right on a little creek.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Maybe this is the one you are referring to Ozz?
http://pprvpk.com/default.aspx

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

We liked the small c.g. in Manitou Springs, I think it is called Pikes Peak C.G. You can walk the quirky little town from the c.g. Right on a little creek.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I just thought of another place (if you are retired or active duty military) ... The Famcamp at the Air Force Academy. http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/mi...-pines-famcamp
It's clean, reasonable and near northern Colorado Springs and I-25.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We were at Cheyenne Mountain State park in 2010, excellent RV park. We very seldom use State parks but Cheynenne Mountain is great. We also stayed at the Garden Of the Gods RV park in Colorado Springs. We went and look at the Military Family Camp grounds at the Air Force Academy, the only site they had left was under trees, we have the roof mounted Satellite system and want park under trees. We are going back to Colorado in July but want be going back to that area. Will spend a month also in Taos New Mexico and a Month in Colorado in the Denver area, I think in Loveland Colorado?? Lots of Snow still in the mountains.. Happy Trails....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Thanks everone. The forum is great. Both Cheyenne Mountain State Park and Pikes Peak RV Park look great. I am leading towards Pikes Peak Park, but from the pictures, the spaces look very close. together.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Lou,
We stayed at a park in the SW part of CO Springs but for the life of me I can't remember the name! Sorry. It was an older park and I had concerns about fitting in our spot as well as just getting to our site! But it turned out well. The fellow from the office that helped us obviously knew his business and was able to direct us just exactly how best to approach our site and directed us exactly as he should. And when we left he came down and "talked" us out. Very nice service.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a spot but be prepared for some closeness! I think if we were to stay in CO Springs again I'd stay at the Cheyenne park Jay listed. Good luck and enjoy. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I would for sure make a reservation. Delaine just set up our 2 month + trip back to Colorado and some of the RV parks were booked. The issue we had last year and this year is for extended stays the week-ends book up but during the week there are sites available. Lot of locals do week-ends. I think we are reserved for RV parks to and from Colorado and the 2 month + stay. Colorado and the Red River New Mexico area. Happy Trails...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
In our opinion the Cheyenne Mountain State Park cannot be beat in the Colorado Springs area. We stay in Colorado State Parks often and I recommend that you get advance reservations for weekends. During the week days most of the parks are not full, but many Weekenders fill up the parks in Colorado.
Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
There is another one that is a little south and west, it's a great campground and the name is Mountaindale. It used to be kind of a dive but the last 10 years or so it has really been turned around. Some of the spots are smaller but we've had our monty in there several times. Here's the website......... http://www.mountaindalecampground.com/

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Again, thanks for all the input. I made reservations for 7 days at Pikes Peak RV Park in Maritou Springs. It appears to be close to everything. You can get 30 amps and back up to a neat creek. I took 50 amps not on the creek. The manager, Margie, makes you feel like family. You pay for 6 days and get the 7 day free. Everyone was right about Cheyenne Mountain State Park being booked. That's the trouble with having to book on line. Also found out Colorado Springs in having a big dry spell. I was hoping for thunder storms in the afternoon. We don't get those to speak of in my part of California
Old 06-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
We have a saying here in Colorado Springs ... "If you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes"
We had rain today. It tends to be regional so it may have rained here but 5 miles down the road it will be dry. There's lots to see here in "The Springs". Hope you have a great visit!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grooving grandpa

I was hoping for thunder storms in the afternoon. We don't get those to speak of in my part of California
Old 07-01-2011, 04:16 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Super, you will like it there, we did. When walking around Manitou try the funny tasting natural spring water, as a kid, I always liked to taste it when we came down Ute pass, They have the Incline Railroad, goes to the top of Pikes Peak, also go down to Van Briggle Pottery about 3 miles or so toward Colorado Springs, it's a neat old place still producing pottery.
Enjoy your stay there.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote