Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Verizon Air Card & Wilson Antenna

I have had the Verizon Air Card for about 3 years now. Recently Jan 2011 added a Wilson Antenna. Works great. Much improvement on signal. Since I have added the antenna have had to replace the air card x 3. That is 1 q month. Luckly I have the insurance option. Does anyone else seem to be having this issue? My first card lasted 2 years. Verizon has replaced it each time but eventually I question for how long? It just stops working.... I now have a spare so I can still have internet while they are sending me another. That is pretty bad.

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bill and Cindy,
Are you using an amplifier with the antenna or just the antenna.
When it fails can you recover by wiggling the antenna connection into the card?
I only use the external antenna when in the RV and have weak signal. I use a cell repeater at the house.
I say keep using it and glad you have the insurance.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am going on four years with the same Verizon aircard, Wilson antenna, and Wilson amplifier. The amplifier crapped out last year but Wilson repaired it. The air card (UM150) is still working.

It sounds like something is "frying" (over voltage?) the electronics. Have you changed computers or USB ports?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
I just have the Antenna, no amp. and have not changed anything except the Antenna. I agree John as long as they replace them but seems something is breaking them at this point. I know my daughter replaced her cell phone to many times and now they will not give her the service contract anymore. I guess I am good for a year.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bill and Cindy,
The only thing I can think of is static electricity. I suggest you ground your outside antenna. As I have stated I have the repeater. One night when it was snowing hard I heard the inside antenna clicking. I disconnected the coax to it. I found there was an arch every time I brought the coax close to the antenna. No I do not have it grounded on the tower at this time but am going to do that.
RF and mother nature do funny things.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Same as Carl. Four years, same verizon aircard, wilson amplifier, wilson antenna. Plus the same router.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Same as Carl and Steve, no problems in 4 years.....My Wilson antenna is connected to top of ladder......I do have the 595 aircard.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote