Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Was that You???
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2004, 07:23 AM   #1
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
OK , I'll jump in - Zion NP & Albuquerque

We were in Utah (Zion NP & Bryce Canyon NP) the last 2+ weeks. We stayed at Mukuntuweap RV just outside the east entrance to Zion NP. We spent a week there and then left our RV and made a 4 day side trip to Las Vegas. Before we left (6/2,3,4,5) there was a brand new (I think) 5th wheel and Duramax 2500 from Montana. When we returned (6/10) they were gone, but there was another 5er and a white F-350 (maybe from CA). We didn't want to disturb anyone and never "caught" anyone outside.

We stayed the night 6/10 at Turquoise Trail RV north of Albuquerque and it looked like a Montana had been there a while (complete with birdhouse).

After getting back I've seen 2 5ers moving east on I-20 around Weatherfor TX (west of Fort Worth) about 4ish in the afternoons - makes me want to leave again but now I have to work awhile to pay for ga$$$.

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:40 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
VanMan, that wasn't us but we'd like to go to Zion and Bryce next year. Do you recommend that rv park?
Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
sreigle, I was at Zion RV park just outside of Huricane, Ut in April. That is a 1st class park. Very pretty, clean, green grass, spacious, and close to Zion NP. $40.00 per night, might have a weekly rate but am not sure. We were there for only 3 nights, wish we could have stayed longer. Zion and Bryce are great places to visit.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 06:48 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks. I've filed the info for reference. How early in the year is reasonable to visit Bryce and Zion?

VanMan, sorry I hijacked your thread. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:47 AM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We went in mid April, the weather was great. Bryce area still had snow, and was a little cool. We did not experience any bugs or rain.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks. We'll probably winter somewhere south of there and were wondering what's reasonable for heading into that area in the spring. We were surprised to hit so much snow at Yosemite, Crater Lake, etc., this year and don't want to make that mistake again. Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Zion and Bryce canyon both charge a $20 fee at the gate, so be sure to have a NP Annual Pass or Golden Pass or whatever's cheaper. Zion has a 1.1 mile long tunnel built in 1935, so it's not exactly Prevost motorcoach friendly. When large vehicles (EVERY RV) want to go through., they radio ahead to the other end to hold the traffic until you and everyone else line up behind you get through. This need for extra personnel is funded by a $10 fee everytime an RV goes through. That's one reason we stayed on the east side and never pulled our TT through the park. We went through those gates and tunnel many times!! We did something called "ride the shuttle with a park ranger" which was an interpretive tour with Ranger Mike - excellent !!!! We used the shuttles quite a bit allowing us both to see the scenery and to see things we would not have seen on our own.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:36 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, VanMan. We do have a national parks annual pass and will renew it when it comes due the end of October. It's already recouped it's cost a couple of times.

We'll probably stay somewhere outside the park and just drive the truck in. I'd heard about that tunnel but had forgotten about it. Thanks. We're looking forward to seeing these two and some others in Utah.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:49 PM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We strongly recommend the shuttles. You can even park outside the park in Springdale (South entrance)and ride it in (still need the pass though). I remember when the shuttles were being proposed a few years ago! How unAmerican! They were taking our parks away from us!! But once you try them they are GREAT. Cuts down on traffic in the park, trying to find a parking spot, and you can actually enjoy the scenery rather than goosenecking while taking those 15 mph hairpin switchbacks!! When you stop and think that more traffic in the park would mean tearing up some of that scenery to make more parking lots, they make a LOT of sense!!
Old 06-21-2004, 05:55 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I wasn't aware of the shuttles. Thanks! It also would reduce mileage on the truck and I definitely need to do that. We took delivery of this truck a year ago yesterday (6/20) and in about 150 miles it will turn 40,000 miles. It has seen some roads!
Old 07-02-2004, 02:09 PM   #11
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
Ditto on the shuttles. They left us without headaches while seeing so much of the park. We even stopped and watched some rock climbers who had set up their bed (that hung from the side of the face of the rocks). Yeah, right, I can see it now- the newspaper headlines would read something about a woman who died as she rolled over in 'bed' and fell hundreds of feet to my death. lol
Kalamity
Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 05:30 PM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Last week a 14 year old Boy Scout was killed when he fell 1000 ft. from Angel's Landing in Zion NP.