Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Need router help

Ok, techie people please help me out. We use AT&T for our wireless service. We are looking for a router that we can use with our Express Card when we are on the road. We have a second lap top that doesn't use the Express Card, but is WiFi capable.

If I am thinking correctly we can have the computer that has the card on and use a router to be able to get on line with the older computer??? Correct????

Are all routers compatible with every type of computer and phone company?

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
colleen... not all routers are capable of working directly with a cellular data card.

what exact model expresscard do you have?

if its the Option GT Max Express 3.6 then you can use the Cradlepoint MBR1000 or the new CTR500 that ships this week.

if its the Option Ultra GT Expresscard... you're out of luck for now, and will have to wait until cradlepoint updates firmware to support that card.

-- alex
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Alex,

We have the Express Max 3.6 card, so I guess we will be ok. Are they they only companies that make the routers that will work with the card?

Am I thinking correctly that if we have the router then we can use the older computer that is Wifi capable?

Thanks for your reply to my posts.

Colleen
Old 06-09-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal
Are they they only companies that make the routers that will work with the card?
i don't pay too close attention to other brands, but i'm pretty sure.
Quote:
quote:Am I thinking correctly that if we have the router then we can use the older computer that is Wifi capable?
that, i'm sure of. yes.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Alex,

Thanks for your infomation. I will check out the routers that you have suggested. It looks like we might get called out before we can get all of this in place. Do you know if the routers can be sent to a campground? We are in Texas right now, but maybe on the way to Michigan by Wednesday.

Colleen
Old 06-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #6
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DriftwoodgalDo you know if the routers can be sent to a campground?
we ship to campgrounds everyday. only requirement is someone has to sign for the fedex delivery.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Another option is to get the adapter that allows the expresscard to fit into a standard pcmcia laptop slot. My laptop the accepts expresscard profile but Vicki's does not. In fact, our router uses that adapter, too. We bought the adapter from Alex's place.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote