Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
My puppy Doc

Well, an 11 year old Siberian puppy, but that's the problem. For years he jumped up at the back door to get our attention when he wanted to come in. I just couldn't seem to get him to ring the bell and wait patiently. In the last year and a half, he's been slowing down noticeably, so much so that I was sure, more than once, I was going to lose him. Until that time, we'd bicycle almost every day in the hills around the homestead (he'd use the 24 speed).

Everything else seemed fine. He was alert, connected, eating well, trim, but his energy level was nonexistent. His problem didn't seem to be the normal arthritis, either. Regular visits to the vet didn't show anything out of the ordinary, except, maybe, old age.

But it was devastating to watch my kid, my friend, my companion deteriorate so quickly.

Finally, we took him back to the vet to see if he could tell us how long he might have (how long we might have him). As we talked about his condition, the vet checked his reflexes and response to foot stimuli. He decided a spinal x-ray was in order, although his symptoms weren't classic. The x-ray showed spinal arthritis on two discs, and not even in the area the vet expected.

We tried NSAIDS for a week, with no improvement, and immediately went to steroids (prednisone). What a change! The bounce is back in his step, we're up to over a mile walk every morning, and I'm finding it harder to keep up with him. I'm going to have to break out the bike, at least for me.

And for those familiar with the side effects of steroids, you'll recognize his now insistent, and I mean insistent, demand when he's humgry or needs to go out. He's very quickly learned (and we CAN learn quite well at an advenced age) that a sharp bark will get me moving pretty quickly. I just head for the back door and watch to see if he stops at the water bowl, food bowl, or is behind me when I reach for the door knob. Now, if I could only teach him to open the door by himself.

So we have our friend with us for a while longer. We'll cater to his needs and appreciate his friendship more diligently, in hopes that he'll forgive us for not taking better care of him. But he's a dog, and he has forgiven us (or never blamed us), and doesn't that make us feel more guilty?!

He'll be with us on our travels this year, along with our other two kids, to say hello to all our friends and share in their love.

Thank you

Bob

firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob,

Thank you for the update. I am happy to hear he is getting better. And I know you must be ecstatic! I'll bet the Tucson climate will make him even more active. Get your bike warmed up!

See you folks soon.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
What a nice story, thank you for sharing, your baby is very lucky to have you as parents.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Boy, Bob, did you give us a scare. Most posts like this tell us of a beloved pet that has gone to doggy heaven. When I read the topic, I thought that was what had happened. We are so GLAD to hear that Doc is okay, in fact doing better. We look forward to seeing Doc in Tucson. For those that don't know him, Doc is a beautiful, gentle "puppy".
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
Great news about your best friend! We are true dog lovers too and know the true joy they can bring. So enjoy your buddy while you can, especially knowing you came so close to losing him!
otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Bob, our little 11 year old girl (Little Bit) has an auto-immune disease that is fatal most of the time. The night she crashed and was rushed to the pet ER, I thought I would be the one to die. She pulled through (with the help of some awesome docs and techs helping her fight) and has been stable for 7 months! She is on Prednisone, among other meds. When she has to potty, it's now and when she's hungry, it's now and all the time! I do understand the side effects, but she's happy and feels good and I'll gladly keep her an extra day and give her an extra treat for the same reasons you do!
Glad your pup is responding well! Enjoy him!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Great news Bob, we are looking forward to seeing Doc and you two at Lake Siskiyou.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Great news Bob. Looking forward to seeing you and the Family at Tucson!!!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Having two 9 year old "puppies", I understand your delight in seeing your puppy back to his old tricks. We never know how much longer we have with our faithful companions, so continue to enjoy that unconditional love they bestow on us every day. Would love to meet old Doc(?) some day.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Bob -
The new meds are great. We got some extra years, that I cherished, with Magnum that we wouldn't have gotten without some of the new meds. I hope you have many extra years with your pet. Enjoy this time and know that pets have unconditional love. Most of us treat our pets better than some people treat their kids. I'm sure yours is well taken care of and happy.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

Well, an 11 year old Siberian puppy, but that's the problem...

Finally, we took him back to the vet to see if he could tell us how long he might have (how long we might have him). As we talked about his ocndition, the vet checked his reflexes and response to foot stimuli. He decided a spinal x-ray was in order, although his symptoms weren't classic. The x-ray showed spinal arthritis on two discs, and not even in the area the vet expected.

We tried NSAIDS for a week, with no improvement, and immediately went to steroids (prednisone). What a change! The bounce is back in his step, we're up to over a mile walk every morning, and I'm finding it harder to keep up with him. I'm going to have to break out the bike, at least for me.

And for those familiar with the side effects of steroids, you'll recognize his now insistent, and I mean insistent, demand when he's humgry or needs to go out. He's very quickly learned (and we CAN learn quite well at an advenced age) that a sharp bark will get me moving pretty quickly. I just head for the back door and watch to see if he stops at the water bowl, food bowl, or is behind me when I reach for the door knob. Now, if I could only teach him to open the door by himself.

So we have our friend with us for a while longer. We'll cater to his needs and appreciate his friendship more diligently, in hopes that he'll forgive us for not taking better care of him. But he's a dog, and he has forgiven us (or never blamed us), and doesn't that make us feel more guilty?!

He'll be with us on our travels this year, along with our other two kids, to say hello to all our friends and share in their love.

Thank you

Bob
Bob this is a link to a company that we are using to help our patients. They were just discussed on "Nightline" a week ago. This may be another option if the steriods start to be a problem. Others have decided to go with this procedure in place of the steriods and their complications.
Hope this info may be useful,
Chuck
http://www.vet-stem.com/
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #12
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Chuck, thanks for that link. I'll also see if I can get to the Nightline show on the Internet. That's one alternative we hadn't even considered. What amazing advances are being made!

We're up to about two miles a day, and I definitely have to use the bike to keep up, mostly because he keeps finding things to augment his diet. The improvement is thrilling, but restraint is a constant chore because he thinks everything is back to normal. I don't know how long he'll be like this, but I'll take every day I can get. I hope he'll be able to soak up the love of the MOC family at our rallies for some time to come.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Bob -

Enjoy the time and no regrets when the time comes. And, hopefully its a long time.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote