Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2006, 06:18 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Propane Regulater installation

Keystone, Please leave room for a propane regulator
here is my installation from your factory

Here is the modification made by one of the MOC members

Please make sure there is enough room for the monitor adaptor.
Thanks,

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:20 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, I was fortunate to have room for mine. The regulator is held on by those two self-tapping screws, one of which is visible in the picture. I would think it would not be too hard to relocate the regulator a couple of inches. Or maybe that's what you did.

The problem in mine is the regulator location makes it very difficult to get the propane bottle locked in place because of the routing of the hoses. I'd also like to see the primary regulator back on the curb side instead of the street side.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:00 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

snip

The problem in mine is the regulator location makes it very difficult to get the propane bottle locked in place because of the routing of the hoses. I'd also like to see the primary regulator back on the curb side instead of the street side.
Steve,
My regulator with switch is on the curb side. I have not moved mine yet but will be looking at exactly what you suggested.
Cheers
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:00 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Strange things...On My 3400 built in April of 06 that black pipe that is directly over your regulator is 6 1/2 inches to the left on mine and there is 4 1/2 inches over the regulator to the overhead????? What is that all about???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I would rather ours was off to the side more. The routing of the hoses and location of the regulator makes it difficult to secure the tank in its proper place without kinking a hose. I may have to move ours. I was able to install the cap for the remote indicator with no problem on ours.

John, I liked having it on the curb side on our 2003. But it's not all that big a deal having it on the other side. Just a matter of convenience.

Apparently there is no standard location for the regulator within the locker.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve,

Interesting point I hadn't thought of. John's regulator is on the curb side because all of his LP appliances are on the curb side. Your 3400RL is on the street side because your kitchen, furnace, hot water tank is on the street side.

Looks like I'm going to have to get some new LP plumbing to install my generator in the 3400RL, as I'll now be coming over from the street side instead of the curb. Too bad, as the old installation only required about 12" of hose.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Brad, that makes a lot of sense. I had not thought of that. In that light I'll get used to it. It's not really that big a deal to me. But I do think there should be more thought to placement of the regulator within the locker itself, whichever side that might be on. Thanks for turning on the switch.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I am just catching up and my 3685 had the changover on the curb side and the 3400 has it on the street side,now I know why but had to change the fittings on my extention hose to fit the 3400 had smaller connection, also why is there another regulator on the curb side tank?
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

The little red regulator was added about 2005. On the tank furthest away from the regulator, some folks had trouble with the internal tank safety valve slamming shut if they opened the tank too fast. There was too much empty line to fill and the safety valve sensed a high flow. The red regulator helps eliminate this problem by creating sufficient backpressure to keep the tank safety valve open.

The little red regulator has failed on several MOC members. It might be a good idea to carry a spare. It is relatively cheap ($8).

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote