Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Cleaning methods.

Now that I am feeling better I thought I would ask some of the ladies what they use on their counter tops, also is there a certain kind of wax for the fiberglass on the outside of the Monty? Thanks Janet.

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Janet,
I use Meguiar's gold class paste wax on the outside. I do not use it on the decals, I use the Aerospace 303 to help keep them from cracking and fading from the sun. I put two coats of the paste wax on every spring and one coat on in the fall before putting the coach in the garage. During the summer I use the wash and wax soap from my rv dealership to keep the rv clean and it leaves another light coat of wax on as well.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:47 AM   #3
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Montana Sky,

Where do you get the Aerospace 303? I'm not familiar with it, I did do a search and found a website but I couldn't find a place to buy. Also do you use it just like a wax?

Thanks,

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Janet, any wax suitable for fibreglass is fine for the outside. Which brand is a personal preference thing. Like Dave, I like Meguiar's but I usually go with whatever the guy I pay to wax the rig is using.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Janet, I am wondering how Jack got you you to wax the outside. If you will share that secret with the rest of us guys we will always be in your debt.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Mac,
I got the 303 from my dealership. I apply it to a rag wipe on the decals and then take a dry cloth and wipe clean. It does not take very much of it to cover 2 or 3 decals. I found out the hard way you actually want under apply than over apply, it runs and tends to streak on the decal. I will try to make a note and remind myself to read the directions on the bottle this spring when the coach comes out and share with you. If I follow the application directions it is a very easy process instead of over applying and then had to fix the streaks because I did not read the directions. =)
Old 02-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
My wife and I are going to the KOA in Kissimmee next weekend so we decided to wash up the Montana. We bought some RV soap with wax in it from CW, it smells like bubble gum, we put it on with a sprayer after we wet down the RV then rubbed it with a brush on a handle and rinsed it off, it came out pretty good so we did the truck also. I just looked out the window and it is going to rain now that we are done. Does anyone lese have a problem with the rubber molding coming out of the slot on the out side?
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:47 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you have the High Gloss finish you would not have to worry about waxing the camper.....Right?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:26 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would still put a good coat of wax on the coach even if I did have the high-gloss. That is probably because I am one of those guys who wash and wax the coach/truck/boat and all that no matter what.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:51 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am still attempting to justify spending several hundred $ on the High Gloss Gel coat. After several hours of homework on the gel coat VS High Gloss gel coat,It appears that the High Gloss is primarily Eye candy and that's ok if you choose to spend that kind of money on eye candy.What I do note is that most everyone will say that high Gloss is eaiser to maintain and care for YET most everyone maintains and cares for them the SAME.That does not compute. I suppose that if I can get the High Gloss with no increase in price over the Gel coat..OK..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:54 AM   #11
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Richfaa, in addition to the extra cost for the high gloss, you should factor in the additional significant weight to the Montana. I do know it cleans up easier and that should also be a consideration as to how that impacts your decision.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #12
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Old GI

My wife and I are going to the KOA in Kissimmee next weekend so we decided to wash up the Montana. We bought some RV soap with wax in it from CW, it smells like bubble gum, we put it on with a sprayer after we wet down the RV then rubbed it with a brush on a handle and rinsed it off, it came out pretty good so we did the truck also. I just looked out the window and it is going to rain now that we are done. Does anyone lese have a problem with the rubber molding coming out of the slot on the out side?
Old Gi, yes we have had a problem with the rubber molding coming out of the slot. Had to replace the rubber under the nose of the Monty. Had some problems on both sides at the rear. I put small screws in the bottom of the rubber on the rear and used a small amount of clear silicone gel to hold in place. Good luck, Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:42 AM   #13
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I have an 03 I bought used and it was starting to fade on the caps when we bought it. So I am getting to be one of the chalky dudes. What is the best thing I can do at this point? I have tried everything from Star Brite to auto waxes. Have 303 but haven't tried that yet.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote