Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Electrical Question adding Front Outlet

Hello everyone,

We've been working on, er, trying to get the courage to add a front outlet for our generator. I'd like to be able to use it for shore power if needed as well. I know there are a few threads on this topic already but did not want to high jack someone else's thread.

We had an electrician out here looking at this set up for us. He admitted he does not know very much about camper wiring. He stated that we should only use a 30 amp hook up with our current generator prep. So my question to everyone is this...

Looking at this photo

The word under the shadow in the photo is CIRCUITS

Is that true or can we utilize and use the 50 outlet we purchased already or will we have to wait until tomorrow and take back the 50 amp outlet and exchange it for a 30 amp.

We have generator prep so we have the Iota Switch and all that other stuff that goes with it. We are an early 03 model on the Big Sky so perhaps it was set up for a smaller generator then they now set them up for.

John Kohl has given us some great advise on this so far and the recent threads have helped us immensely. Now we just need to make sure we have crossed all our T's and dotted all our I's before we proceed. (Like how I say we? We'll someone has to be the foreman or project manager, right? )

In advance thanx for any input.

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Well your circuit is only for 30 amps so unless you get large circuit breaker you will not be able to use the whole 50 amps to it's fullest without over loading your circuit breaker.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Rodney,

Thank you so much for the speedy reply. That's exactly what Dick and the Electrician thought but me, I have to explore all aspects.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would want you to install a 50 amp automatic switch, that way, you would be on gen. automatically of power from that circuit came in, and on shore power if that power supply is detected. You would have a n.o. contact and a n.c. (normally closed) contact, so nither the two shall merge.....
That is what I wired up on my unit.
Sparky the electrician will be aware of this. It is just two 50 amp contactors in a box with a circuit board in it.
I think mine is Intermatic.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
When I added the front receptacle for our generator, I took that box that you have pictured out and wired the front receptacle directly into the Iota switch. H. John Kohl's pictures and a telephone call were invaluable to my project. I did install a 50 amp receptacle on the front however my generator that will be in the truck is only 25 amps (Kipor 3000). I have a 30 amp to 50 amp 25 ft cord to hook up the generator while in motion. That would not stop me from using a 50 amp shore power feed into the front if I needed to, but I cannot picture what that need would be. If you can take a picture of the Iota switch or give a model number, I can check to see if it is the same as mine. I have been promising pictures and somehow I will get them posted this week before the Gettysburg rally.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:10 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is a Iota transfer switch, and the information about it.
http://www.iotaengineering.com/its50r.htm
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote