Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Just became a Ford guy

Until last Friday I was the proud owner of a 2007Classic Chevey Silverado 3500 dually. Great engine and great transmission. Got me everywhere I wanted to go. Over the past three years the creature comforts started failing me. No air, no heat or works on one side not the other. Everytime I got it fixed it was something different that failed. About a year ago all brake lines and transmission lines started leaking and had to be replaced. The mechanic said that OEM parts have a habit of rusting out and failing. Had it looked at again. This time there are numerous oil leaks around the engine and transmission. Enough is enough. Traded it for a Ford F350. Too early to tell everything about it, but so far it's alot quieter than the Chevy and it appears to have better fuel mileage, although it's too early to really have a good feel for that.

My main reason for choosing Ford over Chevy or Dodge is political, so this conversation should end here and now. I was really disappointed in the way the Chevy started to deteriorate. Now I have to remember how to change the thingy at the bottom of the post to show my new truck.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
For over 20 years I was a die hard Chevy man. All have been great cars/trucks. Then a Chevy salesman made me mad. Drove about a mile away and bought a Ford truck. Then started buying Ford cars also. Never owned anything but a Ford product since in the last 25 years. Never any regrets as the Fords I have owned have all been great. I am sure any Chevys would have been good also, but .........

Bought a new F350 King Ranch 6.7 CC LB FX4 back in late July. Only a little over 2,000 miles so far but am very happy with it. Quiet, comfortable, smooth, great ride, great power, and all the bells and whistles. All I can say is WOW!!!
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Congratulations on your new truck, hope it gives you years of trouble free towing.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have absolutely no brand loyalty.Our last two have been Fords because we live in Ford Country and can get the Ford friends and family discount through Friends.Big Discounts. Over the years we have had 3 GM products and 3 Ford products all good trucks.Our extended ESP Ford plan is up in 2014 and if we are still on the road it may be a Dodge this time. The 08 Ford is a strong truck and has served us well.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I'm beginning to see it your way, Rich. I've driven company vehicles most of my career that were Fords. After about 50,000 miles they started to fall apart. As a result I had very little use for Ford products. At the same time my personal vehicles that were other than Ford held up very well. I wish I could say the same for the Chevy truck. It only had 71,000 miles on it when I traded it and it was literally falling apart. Time will tell how this Ford holds up. When it comes time to look for something different you can be sure that I'll do my research and buy what has the best reputation for quality and reliability at that time.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

For over 20 years I was a die hard Chevy man. All have been great cars/trucks. Then a Chevy salesman made me mad. Drove about a mile away and bought a Ford truck. Then started buying Ford cars also. Never owned anything but a Ford product since in the last 25 years. Never any regrets as the Fords I have owned have all been great. I am sure any Chevys would have been good also, but .........

Bought a new F350 King Ranch 6.7 CC LB FX4 back in late July. Only a little over 2,000 miles so far but am very happy with it. Quiet, comfortable, smooth, great ride, great power, and all the bells and whistles. All I can say is WOW!!!
No offence, but that's like cutting your nose off to spite your face. Sales people mean almost nothing to me. I spend 20 minutes with them placing the order. That's only role they play in the life of the truck. The remainder of the truck's life is dependent upon the service department (at least until the warranty runs out). So my number one consideration is how good is the service department. The salesperson could be Charles Manson for all I care, just as long as he gets the order right. I'd never go to another brand because of a salesman. I might go to another dealership or better yet to the guy's boss though.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Good Choice! You will love that 6.7 Diesel and the redesigned 6 speed it is bolted on to. I had owned GMC, Dodge, and Fords. This 6.7 Ford is the best towing truck I have owned.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
you have made a good choice,enjoy.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Tom, I agree with you to an extent. To me the salesman reflects the quality of the dealership. He is the front line representative. If he is clueless about the product he is selling, then to me that says that the dealership doesn't care either. It's hard for me to fathom that they would do quality work in the garage when they don't do quality work in the showroom.

I do my homework before I head to the showroom. I ask many questions that I already know the answer to. I'll be the first to admit, that I don't know all of the answers. So when I get good answers to the questions that I do know, I can feel comfortable with his comments. I walked out of two dealerships when the salesman could not answer anything beyond the Ford website that's available to all of us.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #10
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Love my 6.7 and as stated above it's the best tow vehicle I have owned. Just returned from a 5,300 mile trip through the western states and its performance was outstanding. Actually at times, I forgot I had the rig behind me
and at the end of the day I was not tired or stressed from a long drive - very comfortable. In todays world all 3 are making good trucks so it comes down to what we like. Good luck to all who are getting new trucks....it's a great time to buy and enjoy all the technological, handling and ride improvements that have been made to these vehicles.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.
[br...............
No offence, but that's like cutting your nose off to spite your face. Sales people mean almost nothing to me. ..........
I would not have bought a Ford if I had not liked it and felt certain it was a good truck. Traded it after 207,000 miles with virtually no problems at all during ownership. And that cemented my relationship with Ford. Very little problem with any of the Fords, most going well over 100,000 miles, and I even owned a 6.0!!!!
The saleman meant nothing to me either. Just the fact that he caused me to leave his dealership and look at other options sent me on a new, and completely satifactory, path. There was no other Chevy dealer in our small town.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #12
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Love our Ford. We have towed the Montana over 10,000 miles sofar in 2012 and getting ready for another trip in a couple weeks. You don't even know you are towing. Very good choice.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Salespersons also mean little to me.We know exactly what we want and how much we will pay before entering the showroom.We purchased both our 05 and 08 Fords without ever seeing a sales person execpt to sign the purchase papers.The dealership and service reputaion are foremost in the purchase.Since we are on the road a lot even that does mean very much. We have received excellent servive from Ford dealers all over the USA. Just my personal opinion but I see little difference between the big three trucks.They all have the ability to pull any of these Montanas within ratings and specs. we purchasde what best serves our needs at the time.The big Ford discounts on the Ford plans best served our needs the last two times.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #14
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Congratulations on your new truck...enjoy!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Good choice. My 2011 Ford Diesel is 2 years old with 40000 miles. It was back twice for warranty work. Once for a reprogram to improve transmission shifting, and once to repair an interior light that lost its ground. Best truck I've ever owned. Yanks the Monty effortlessly.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
For me service sells not the salesman. Like others I do my reseach and know my products b4 shopping. As long as I get the product I want from a dealer with a good service reputation, I'm a happy camper.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I hope like your new truck and it provides years of trouble free service. However, having owned several Fords, that 6.7 is going to have to prove itself before I go back. Ford has a horrible record with new diesels...6.0 and 6.4...jury's out on the 6.7, I'll wait until they come back with a verdict...after a few years.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Does it have a heated tailgate? You know Ford is the only manf. who offers that. It's so your hands don't get cold when you are pushing. Lol
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Does it have a heated tailgate? You know Ford is the only manf. who offers that. It's so your hands don't get cold when you are pushing. Lol
Hook, you're bad!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
From my last couple years experience with Chevy, you better buy some heavy winter gloves for the same reason as the heated tailgate.