Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2022, 11:16 AM   #1
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
Old thermostat new A/C

A tree fell on our 2003 3670RL and smashed the A/C on the roof. I'm looking into getting it replaced and I'm being told I "HAVE" to replace the control box and thermostat with digital ones. Another installer said the new one would just plug in and would work just fine with the analog control box and thermostat we have. Anybody know which of these is correct? It's not a matter of trying to save money as much as the old one always seemed to work and was easy to figure out.

Billhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:21 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Back in the 05 timeframe many of us had the Dometic CCC thermostat which was a nightmare for many ... It had a telephone wire type cable running from the wall thermostat to the control board in the A/C itself. Since your RV is 19 years old you more than likely will run into the RV industry wide problem of "if it's older than 5 years, we don't stock it" attitude. Most current A/C's have a special connector on the ceiling unit with the accompanying control cable running from the thermostat to the A/C unit in the ceiling. I think past having an issue with finding an A/C unit to work with your current thermostat ... you'll have an issue with having to run a control cable from the wall up to the ceiling unit to make the new thermostat work. For simplicity, you may just settle for an A/C unit that has the controls on the inside ceiling grill on the ceiling itself, but you'd have to be mighty tall. There are RV salvage yards across the country, but you'd not really know what shape of a unit you're getting.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:38 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Perhaps I spoke too soon ... Ha! This is off Dometic's website. I'm sure they have a 15,000 btu model as well.
Duo Therm Brisk 2 Air 13,500 BTU
Dometic has the widest range of any standard profile RV air conditioner; having the power to cool even the largest coaches.
Quiet, Powerful Airflow
A 3-speed blower motor and washable return air filter produce airflows that are cool and clean.
Control Options
Dometic Brisk Air units allow use of analog thermostats, or the new Duo-Therm Comfort Control Center based on manufacturer's application.
Easy, Flexible Installation
Uses electric or analog relays, in either air distribution box or ducted installations.
Easy for replacement, as the Brisk Air fits any 14" opening.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:47 PM   #4
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
Does a picture of the thermostat help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	thermostat.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	12082

It says it is a Duo-Therm By Dometic