Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2023, 01:21 PM   #1
seasure1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32095
Unhitching problems with a Pullrite Superglide Fifth Wheel Hitch

Well six months into our transition from Class A to Montana fifth wheel. Love everything about it except when we get to a campground and have to unhitch our
Pullrite Superglide Fifth Wheel Hitch. Tried everything watched a million videos. I can never just pull into a campground and unhitch. It is always a hassle knowing when you get there you just can't set up everything.

Any help from others would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Slide toppers
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:09 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasure1 View Post
Well six months into our transition from Class A to Montana fifth wheel. Love everything about it except when we get to a campground and have to unhitch our
Pullrite Superglide Fifth Wheel Hitch. Tried everything watched a million videos. I can never just pull into a campground and unhitch. It is always a hassle knowing when you get there you just can't set up everything.

Thanks in advance!
Can you be more specific? I assume you have a slider? A rotating head and a capture plate on your pin? If so your truck and trailer needs to be somewhat straight. Lower the front legs just enough to relieve pressure and pull the handle.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:17 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We've had a Pullrite Superglide for ten years, and the only thing needed to unhitch easily is get your front jacks down enough to take some load off the hitch, back up the truck a bit, and then pull the release handle. The rotating latch in the hitch needs to be able to rotate to come loose from the pin. These are very solid hitches and this is part of the design.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:37 PM   #4
seasure1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32095
I am doing everything that you both recommend. Been traveling for a week, I guess I need to take a look at the mechanism to see if something is bent? It has been a real hassle so far.

Thanks for all the recommendations
Slide toppers
Old 06-09-2023, 06:12 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
No slider, but my Pullrite Super 5th and later my Reese Elite both had the wrap around locking jaw. And on both I had to lower my jacks to the point all weight was taken off the hitch and then put the truck in reverse and let it bump back into the pin to take the pressure off the jaw and let it rotate. Easy to unlatch then. After it bumped back I set the park brake to make sure it didn’t roll forward and put that pressure back on the jaw.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:28 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Not suggesting this is proper, but works for me.
I have a Comfort Ride Hitch that is extremely tight so the only way I can disconnect is raise the front of the unit until the weight just comes off the hitch, then I put the truck in reverse, get out an release the hitch, then get back into the truck an pull forward. I have enough weight on the front legs so the truck in reverse doesn't try to move the camper.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:54 PM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We have a Curt Q20.
We put the landing gear down until we see the pin box lift off the hitch.
I put the truck in neutral and release the brake pedal to relieve and pressure on the hitch/pin.
Then I put the truck in park and go pull the handle.
It releases easily.
The only time I had a lot of hassle was when the truck was tilted (left/right) relative to the rig.
DW had to tilt the rig to match the truck tilt.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:56 AM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have had a pullrite (well 2 actually) for 17 years. It can be tricky to unhitch. First thing I do is lower the front landing gear and try to get a gap between the trailer hitch plate and the hitch itself. It seems that sometimes the truck just raises up instead of the plate. When that starts happening, I jockey the truck a little forward of backward. Direction depends on whether you pulled in forward or backed in because of the pressure against the truck hitch. At this point I can usually pull on the handle and it unhooks. Sometimes I have to get back in and move the truck slightly the other direction.

Also, it seems every once in a while it is a real pain to get it just right! LOL
BUT I have got into some tight spots and was able to almost pivot the rig around without the wheels going forward - i.e. a 90 degree turn of the truck.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 09:03 AM   #9
seasure1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32095
Thanks everyone for your input. I took the hitch apart this morning and found a bent slide support for the handle. I think it happened the first time I tried to unhitch six months ago. I reshaped it with a couple of taps with a hammer and the alignment seems better.

I will keep everyone informed.

Thanks again, this is a great group of people always willing to help!
Slide toppers
Old 06-10-2023, 07:29 PM   #10
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
It just makes sense to me

I had one that gave me a fit sometimes so I wanted to end future problems at night, at night in the rain, at night when it`s snowing, at night when it`s snowing and the bed is full of snow, etc..... so I got this and gave mine to a neighbor. Pullright is a good brand but sometimes......
Attached Images

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:21 AM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Seasure1, Pull Rite customer service is great to work with, if this doesn’t fix it. In fact, they would probably send a new part.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:35 AM   #12
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
i also have a pull rite. i also put the front legs down just enough to get the weight off the truck. i have found i need to try to be pretty level with the truck then just put truck into reverse just to releive the pressure of the jaws then it seems to always come off easily. good luck

al
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:59 PM   #13
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Just wanted to add one more thing to those suggested. If your truck is more than 10 degrees to the left or right of being directly is alignment with the camper, the capture plate will try and perform it’s function of moving the pin box rearward. Now instead the rotating jaw opening will be facing at an angle to the truck and place a bind on the jaw. None of the aforementioned tips will work if you violate the 10 degree alignment with the camper. I owned 3 of these heavy monsters previously before reading the manual (page #11). Here is an excerpt from page 11 stating the 10 degree limitation.

WARNING: Never perform any of the following actions while any part of a person is between the vehicle and the trailer.
1. Once you have the trailer located and are ready to unhitch, (unhitching can only be accomplished when the truck and trailer are aligned within 10 degrees of each other--see previous page), block the trailer wheels so it will not roll back or forward. Back into the blocked trailer slightly and set the parking brake while you are still in gear. This action will relieve pressure on the lock mechanism before attempting to release the latch mechanism.
2. Lower the trailer jacks to the point of just touching the ground but do not raise the trailer at this point.
3. Open the Lock Jaw Assembly by first lifting, then pulling the Release Handle towards you (see pgs. 10 & 11).
4. Lower the trailer jacks until the bottom of the king pin box is almost free of the top of the Fifth Wheel Plate {A}. Make certain that the bottom of the king pin is not so high that binding on the hitch Lock Catch would result.
5. After lowering the truck’s tail gate, disconnect the trailer electrical cord and break-away switch cable, then pull forward.
6. As the king pin slides from the Fifth Wheel Plate, notice that the locking mechanism remains open once the king pin is removed.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:09 PM   #14
jimandjuliet
Established Member

M.O.C. #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasure1 View Post

Thanks in advance!
i have to back into mine and set e brake then jaws will unlatch else wise its very hard to pull release rod
jimandjuliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:33 PM   #15
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandjuliet View Post
i have to back into mine and set e brake then jaws will unlatch else wise its very hard to pull release rod
This is a repeat of what is stated in the first sentence (#1) of the unhitching instructions from page 11 of Pullrite’s manual (See post #13)

“Back into the blocked trailer slightly and set the parking brake while you are still in gear. This action will relieve pressure on the lock mechanism before attempting to release the latch mechanism.”
Old 06-13-2023, 06:16 AM   #16
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
I have a pull-rite as well and I too initially battled this issue at first. As stated, once you have parked your rig, assure you are not outside of that 10% alignment zone, block wheels & raise front legs just enough to remove/raise majority of the weight off the hitch, slightly move truck back or forward to relieve front or rear pressure on the latch and it becomes a fairly stress free process. It certainly took some time to master it but as others stated there are still scenarios where unlevel pressure can be a headache...
Old 06-13-2023, 06:44 AM   #17
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin Retiree View Post
I have a pull-rite as well and I too initially battled this issue at first. As stated, once you have parked your rig, assure you are not outside of that 10% alignment zone, block wheels & raise front legs just enough to remove/raise majority of the weight off the hitch, slightly move truck back or forward to relieve front or rear pressure on the latch and it becomes a fairly stress free process. It certainly took some time to master it but as others stated there are still scenarios where unlevel pressure can be a headache...
I would suggest following the procedure set forth in the owner’s manual. Moving the truck forward would complicate the release of the pin box. Stick to leaving a slight back pressure then setting the parking brake.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:30 AM   #18
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
A further comment on PUllrite service. While attending the rally in Goshen, I stopped at their headquarters. I had just bought the 2013 model 2 weeks before and it seemed to not attach correctly. The owner came out and talked for an hour or so while we waited for the part to arrive from the warehouse. They had determined the dealer installed the wrong trailer hitch plate. I think these are around $100 or more. They just gave it to me and installed it while I waited. That is taking care of the customer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:54 AM   #19
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
One simple solution: Tow with a Long Bed, then you don't and special Hitch.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:03 AM   #20
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
I too, wish I had that option at the time but sometimes you have to make due with what u got...