Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
TeleBack

M.O.C. #9187
cable jacks above Television

Above our television, there is a compartment with two glass-panel doors that houses our dvd player. On the back wall of that compartment, there is a cable jack that goes to our dvd player. Above that jack, there is another wall plate that has two cable jacks on it. They are looped together with a short coax cable. What is that for?

TeleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe the jumper connects the bedroom television, living room television, cable and antenna into a loop so that the feed is to both sets. A quick check is to disconnect the jumper and see what goes out.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This link shows two drawings of TV wiring.

I believe you will find the loop is used for adding a satellite box.

As Bingo says the signal comes from the convenience center to one of the jacks of the loop. Then the other jack goes to the bedroom where the antenna amplifier and junction box is located. From there one line brings the signal back to the single connector that the DVD box is connected to and then to your TV.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:03 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
John,
Are you able to e-mail the second more current schematic. I would love to have it for future reference.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:19 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bingo,
It is on Photobucket. Just right click on the JPG and you can down load it to your computer.
I got it from a post another member made here on the forum.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks John,
Got it, I think that is the way the 3750 is wired, I will check next week. good info to have.
Bingo

Old 11-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
On my 2008, the loop completed the circuit for the television in the bedroom. If you have satellite you would plug the satellite into the outside box, disconnect the loop and plug one end (the correct one you have to experiment bottom/top) to the satellite receiver input. If the receiver has an output you can plug it into the other part of the loop to supply the back television with satellite. Depending on the receiver you would either have independent channels, or watch the same channel.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:20 AM   #8
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
That cleared up a lot for me as well. If I'm hooked to cable, I can get reception to the front TV but not the bedroom. Now that I know about the loop, how do I get cable TV to both?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Waynem described it well. The loop is only a loop in the whole TV circuit to allow one to splice in a satellite receiver.

If you are not getting signal to the BR TV and getting it in the LR, the problem could be the TV setup. Make sure the TV setting is on "Cable" (check the TV menu), make sure the coax is plugged into the back of the TV (they have been known to fall off). Make sure the TV Booster is off or on (turn it on or off to see which one shows the best picture, I forget) You should already have the signal there because it's a closed coax system.

If you try all these and still can't get the television picture, then it sounds like there might be a problem in the walls going back to the BR. I wouldn't be surprised if they fouled something up at the factory. I would guess by the years on your rigs that there is already RG6 running throughout. If there's any RG59, then things might not work. Back to the dealer for checking out unless you don't mind testing and fishing wires (ugh).

Even if you did a proper PDI and it all looked good, a cable not seated correctly might pass the PDI, but could then fall off after you've driven and bounced things around a bit.

Please let us know what you find.

RVs, never a dull moment.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Thanks Art. We do get TV in the BR but only with the antenna. I have turned the booster off when I am connected to cable so I have reception to the living room not the BR. As I don't have a satellite receiver to plug it back into to complete the loop, what else should I do? I really don't want to go back to the dealer for $110/hr. If nothing else, I'll wait until Florida and see if the "cable guy" can figure it out. They're only going to charge $39.95.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dick,
If there are three coax connections in the living room area, two of them must be jumpered together, (on our 3400 it was the top two), to allow the cable connection to pass through to the bedroom television.
The antenna booster in the bedroom closet must also be off when watching cable. At one time there used to be some links to photographs posted that showed exactly how they are supposed to be hooked up. I always got confused and I would just turn the bedroom tv on and start changing connections inthe living room until I got a picture. Hope this helps.
Bingo

Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #12
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Thanks Bingo. I can see me in Florida doing exactly that, trial and error. Once I get there, I'll have 3 months to figure it out. We very seldom watch TV in the BR unless we are fighting. The good thing is I usually am in the living room and Louise is in the BR. The bad thing is, we were fighting.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
c214dick,

If you find the solution, please post it. My new unit is doing the same thing. The bedroom works on antenna but shows no signal from everything else.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The loop has to be connected to view cable in the BR.

Also, if you trace the cable fro the back of the television you may find a splitter. The cable lead from outside goes to the splitter and then the splitter feeds the LR tv and something else. CRS what it fed.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Lee & Dick, if you see TV in the BR from the antenna I still think it's the TV configuration in the bedroom.

Three things to check:

1. Use the menu function on your television to set the input from "TV" to "Cable"

2. Change the channel to 3 or 4. These are the television channels your TV's tuner searches for cable or satellite signals.

3. Make sure the booster is off!

You might have to try checking all combinations of these three to find the combination that works. Don't do this when any fighting is going on. You'll need a clear head to keep track of what combinations you've tried until you find the one that works.

I'm only posting this from memory but I have a satellite box in the looped circuit and the BR TV is set for Cable, on channel 4 (because that's what the satellite box is set to) and the booster is off. I haven't used the rabbit years in a while so I've not had to change anything in years so that's why I forget since it's been in a while.

If none of this works, you might have a wiring issue. If so, then call Waynem.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Lee,
The 2011 models are different (at least ours is). In the convenience center, there should be one connection that is the input for cable. The other connections have to have a short piece of jumper coax installed. If need be, I should be able to post a picture of the new set-up in the convenience center. Ours is a satellite feed, but I think the external connections (jumpers) should be the same.
Bingo

Old 11-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Art, you didn't tell him WHAT to call me!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #18
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Thanks,
Unfortunately my rig is packed away until Feb. and I can't try the different ideas till then. I've printed these posts out so I dont forget what has been suggested.

Bingo,
There are three connections in my convenience center: Top is labeled Coach Cable, below it is LR Satelite and the bottom is BR Satelite. There are no jumpers installed except in the BR closet where the antenna booster switch is.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Lee,
I will post a picture tommorrow if I get a chance. I am on satellite, but I can hook up to cable here at the campground and see what I have to do to make sure I have the feed to the bedroom. I have a hunch it is the jumpers but I will double check to make sure. (I will have plenty of time on my hands since DW will be in the kitchen preparing an army sized meal for Thanksgiving, and I am banished from that area!!) I do know that at present I have two connectors in the bedroom closet, one is labelled satellite and the other is labelled cable yet it is the winegard faceplate. I know this is the antenna feed because the satellite feed is from the connector labelled satellite and it goes to my Directv box and from there I have RCA jacks going to the television set. I can get both satellite and antenna but as Art said, I do have to switch the source on the television set to Air for antenna and cable for the satellite. I do know that on our previous rig, I could get antenna and cable without having to switch the source on the TV menu. Rest assured we will get this figured out before February!!
Bingo

Old 11-24-2010, 04:33 AM   #20
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Lee,
I don't think the pictures will be needed. Here is what I found out, Art is correct, when you are hooked up to cable, you then have to enter the setup or menu function of the television. If you have the new Jensen model television, it is menu on the remote, then pan across to channel and the first item will allow you select either air or cable. When you have cable selected, you then must do the automatic scan to pick up the channels. The interesting thing in all of this is I discovered that on the new rigs (remember ours also has satellite), you can have antenna, cable and satellite all functional at the same time. Cool!!!
Bingo