Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Bridge Weight Limit

Seems like there was information at one time for weight limits on bridges posted but I can’t find it. I’ve tried searching the net and even tried to Google it. I’m unable to find the weight limit on this particular bridge. You can see the sign on the birds’ eye view when it’s Googled, but I can’t make it out. It is near Falmouth, KY on RTE 159 close to the turn in for Kinkaid Lake State Park in Kentucky. Here is the coordinates at the bridge (38.721195,-84.299912).

Is anyone familiar with that area and by chance know what the weight limit of that bridge is?

Have you been through that area?

What is the best route from the "AA" Highway?

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Bill, Have you tried Bridgehunter.com

Falmouth Bridge aka The Blue Bridge

Posted April 26, 2012, by Anonymous

A few interesting facts about this bridge.

Built 1927 rated at 15 Ton capacity as noted on the permenate plaque on the bridge.

Painted blue with an experimental paint, in early 70's, and rated at 28 ton capacity, as noted on sign mounted in front of bridge, posted by state highway department. (Editorial comment: Impressive paint!

25 Apr 2012 while the replacement bridge is under construction, the Blue Bridge was inspected. That same day, the inspectors spoke to officials and wanted to completedly close the Blue Bridge, as unsafe. Rumor has it, the city officials and the local school board, were instrumental in setting the new weight limit at 3 ton.

Replacement bridge is due completion Mid-2013 time frame.

http://bridgehunter.com/ky/
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I don’t believe that is the same bridge. If you go to Google maps and type in the coordinates (38.721195,-84.299912) you can view the exact bridge I’m asking about. The bridge I’m referring to doesn’t seem to be listed which crosses the Licking River.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bill,
Contact that county and ask them to tell you the weight limit on the bridge.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
....or....cross it really fast, that way if it falls, you will already be on the other side of it, getting back across may be a problem though!!! (Kidding, of course!!)
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Bill,
I think this is the bridge
http://uglybridges.com/1218193
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Seriously though, after some research, I do believe Awaywego is partially correct. Here is a link to a photo of the entrance to the bridge from the Falmouth side:

http://www.falmouthoutlook.com/image...own-bridge.jpg

When you look at the bridge in Google Street View, it looks exactly the same. This is the bridge that crosses the Licking River when you are leaving town and is known as the Shoemaker Town Bridge. However, on June 12 of this year the weight limit was raised according to the Falmouth newspaper. Without a subscription though, it does not tell what it was raised to. As John said the best thing to do is to contact the district Highway Engineers Office.

On edit: seems like even I was looking at the wrong bridge after seeing Charlie's post, but the info may still be applicable if you are coming in from Falmouth??

Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Bill,
I think this is the bridge
http://uglybridges.com/1218193

Thanks al for the link. That is the bridge I had questions about. The weight limit looks good but by the looks of the bridge on the bird’s-eye view on Google, it really needs some help. I was told it was over the Licking River but the fact is that it appears to be over the Kinkaid Creek. It's very interesting what is stated about the conditions of it.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Made it across the bridge. Not bad at all. It had a posted weight limit of 27T.

I asked my smart phone for the nearest Cracker Barrel and it told me it was 18 miles. Found it on the GPS and it said it was 17 miles. When it routed us it was actually about 30 miles using the fastest route on car mode. Oh weBll we followed it anyway and went there. Had a nice late supper and returned back to the park.

Talk about the boonies, I doubt there was a section of road that was straight for more than a quarter mile.

The GPS gave us so many warnings about "sharp curve ahead" that we had to turn that feature off.

When we pulled into the campground we were to be on site 20. There wasn't any way we could have gotten in that spot. Absolutely too small! The photos of the site were really mis-leading. Fortunately several people had canceled and we found a great spot.

Not complaining just sharing some of the fun we had getting here.

We haven't seen any rain yet from Isaac but they are showing it in the forecast. Don’t really matter to us though we are having a great time and have plans if it rains.

On edit there were 2 different weight limits. It looked to me like a rig with a single axle trailer was limited to 24T while a rig and double axel trailer was 27T. By the time someone figures it out you would probably be across.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow that was lucky... One must be careful that it was not the old Mission Tire engineers that gave this bridge its rating any more than their tires were rated properly. After all it's just a number and these days one must just hope they found a weigh to rate the thing and not just throw a number on it cuz someone paid a fee.

I gotta stop this. I am turning into such a cynic. I'm sure the bridge was labeled 27T correctly. Bill-n-Donna made it and with my 22T CGVWR, so should I. If we were both on the bridge at the same time, then, that's a problem! I'll have to remember when approaching a bridge if another large vehicle combination was coming on from the other side, I should probably let them by first so we are not on the thing at the same time.

Thanks for this safety pointer and reminder. I'll have to keep this in mind for some of these smaller country bridges that will probably have the lesser ratings.

Rain and hurricanes are another story.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Art, hopefully they dont sub-contract the engineering to China. If they do that and their work is anything like their tires then we better watch out.

Had a great day today, had a very large snake warped around my neck earlier today (Python). I'll post a photo when I get home. Can't quite manage photos on the I-phone. Tried to post it but too much aggravation.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

... with my 22T CGVWR, so should I.
22T CGVWR?? Are you sure?

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
oops, 11T, or 22,000 lbs... thanks for catching that!!! (Actually I think it's 11.5T or 23,000lbs - nevertheless, I had a major typo.)

I guess I'll not be getting any jobs labeling weight ratings.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote