Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Setting up camp?

I was talking to my brother the other day about his 5th wheel and he said that when he parks, he leaves the front a little below level then lowers the rear jacks to the ground and then raises the front with the main gear to gain extra stability (this unloads the axels a bit). Does anyone else do this? Is it a good or bad thing to do. His rig is much smaller and lighter than Monties and Mountaineers if that makes a difference.

ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rear jacks are STABILIZERS. They are not intended to raise the rig. The guys will happen along to give their 2 cents worth, but Al always tells me, you are only supposed to snug up those stabilizers, NOT raise the unit with them. Don't think your brother is doing it right, or, lets put it this way, it is not done that way in Stevens' country!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Some people do that but you have to be very careful because the rear "things" are not jacks, they are "stabilizers" as has been previously said by Mrs. Country Guy. They are used only to help stabilize the side-to-side movement of the rig. I run mine down with my rechargeable drill until they are snug and they work fine. You can use the crank to give them another 1/2 turn or so. But by no means put any leverage weight on them. I've seen rigs come into Ketelsen's RV with the rear stabilizers bent because of raising the front end to put more weight on the rear.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Carol is absolutely correct. The rear jacks are stabilizers only and are designed and intended to be snugged up on the ground or a block. They are not designed or intended as load bearing devices.

On Edit - I do the same as Orv, snug them up then give them about 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
That technique is certainly a frame bender. There are enough ways to stress the chassis without doing it deliberately!!!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
They are "stabilizers" not "jacks."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
This might be a new topic but I will ask the question here first. I have done a search with no results. Cathy and I will we either long timing or full timing starting this next summer (selling Alaskan house and traveling for awhile, then maybe buy a stick home again, or not), and we are wondering about campground security. Should we be concerned about leaving a few things out during the day while we sightsee or put everything under lock and key? I'm not worried about night time when we are home, but when we are gone... Any advice anyone?

By the way, I have gained alot from this forum so far and planning on being a long time member. Between the forum and my sister (RV'ing all her life and in 5th wheel last 7 years, she's still a LT, won't give up her stick home around kids and grandkids), I have had a lot of my questions answered.

Thanks a bunch to all who respond and don't mind helping out a newbie.....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Phil,

Probably get both ends of the spectrum here, but Al and generally leave out the chairs and bikes, and grill and stuff. Only thing we had walk was a part case of beer one time in a state park, which was our fault, as we left it in full view (WHAT WERE WE THINKING??? DUHH)

We figure it goes back to, your comfort level, if you feel you can afford to replace the item, and the fact, that there are always some greedy selfish nasty stealing types out there, and at some time the two may collide. As has been said here a time or two, if the hair on the back of your neck stands up, or your stomach does flip flops, listen to your body and your 6th sense and either lock it up or move to another campsite or another campground. If it feels wrong, you won't rest anyway, so move on out!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Al
We've been at this a long time. Most, and I emphasize most, CG's are secure and the people are good and watch out for each other. There is always that one person or group that ruins it for everyone else. We have never had anything stolen at our campsite. We did have a tool box stolen from the truck which was parked in a day use parking area. It wasn't locked in the big tool chest so partly our fault. You will find almost everyone takes off for the day with chairs, rugs, light, BBQs, etc. left out at the campsite. I wouldn't leave a radio or TV out (or beer, Carol, what were you thinking~LOL)
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sue,

We were NOT thinking! We had a lot of other stuff on our minds, and it just did not register what we did, until a couple of days later we realized the beer was gone! Like I said, DUH!! It was summer, there were a lot of teens in the park, our mistake, their high!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:44 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Answer to ggranch question...
Very bad idea as, like everyone one else pointed out, they are stabilizers and not jacks. I inadvertently raised the front jacks less than an inch and bent the left rear stabilizer. Took about an hour to get it back to being usable.

pparamore...
Like the rest we leave out the chairs, grill, etc. Most often I don't even lock the compartments. In over 3 years of full timing we have only had 2 bikes stolen during the night by kids from the apartment complex just up the road. They were both recovered within 3 days. At night I do chain and lock the bikes.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:23 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Carol, there you go contributing to the delinquency of minors! LOL
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just a side note on the stabilizer issue. Did you know that if you raise the front landing gear while forgetting that you still have your rear stabilizers will blow that 50 amp fuse??? Did you know that those 50 amp fuses are really hard to find in the middle of the night??? Was able to scrape up a 30 amp to temporarily fix the problem. (BTW, MIMF uses a manually resettable 75 amp fuse direct wired to the battery.)

Do you know that I will not make that mistake again (probably)???

I was playing with my pin stabilizer and ADD Boy here got way too focused on only the pin stabilizer...

Just thought I'd throw my meaningless stupid adventures in here. You guys are all way too smart to ever do something brainless like that...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #14
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Dsprik: A .22 LR bullet might work in place of the fuse!!!
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I didn't have that either, Bob. Just as well... Cheryl gets nervous when she sees me playing around with ammo.

Also, not sure if I'm comfortable with an electrical charge going through gunpowder...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:07 AM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave, some us figured out the problem of bending those jacks and blowing breakers the hard way too.

Bob, LOVE that photo of the ole RV! What a classic!
Old 12-15-2006, 01:29 AM   #17
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Yeah, Ditto... usually realize it after hitting button for few seconds and about 1 sec after release hear a flex noise at rear and exclaim Oh #$%^ it! Tends to fix the memory for a bit...
Leaving stuff out, same with us, leave basics only, typically keep storage doors locked not that they would slow down a real thief but outta sight outta mind.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote