Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #41
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Carol the last time we were at Portage lake late last fall it looked like they had quite a few trees that had been marked to cut down, Thats a shame because it is an older park with some nice size trees, one of the other places we go is Maumee bay s/p and all the ash trees in the campground have been cut down and new trees planted already. Roman

Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #42
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Country Guy,
You could be right, all of the trucks I know about are coming out of the Kewenaw Peninsula area (Lanse, Baraga, Ontonagon, ect.) They run from up there to the mills in Asland, Wisconsin Rapids and others.
I have seen a lot of signs posted in the state forest and national forest campgrounds saying not to carry firewood.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #43
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The website you provided said the entire state of Mich was under quarantine, Carol. Are you sure the UP is exempt?

I too wonder about ALL the logging companies. I see log trucks occassionally here in the northern part of the Lower Pen. Maybe... Trying to remember the last time I did see one. Thought it was this winter. Maybe not...

It could also be that each truck load of logs has to be inspected by a State Inspector - then they can proceed.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #44
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I will try and remember to check in with her the closer we get to rally time. If things have changed I will leav it at home. I don't really want to have to disposse of it along the way just because I can't bring it into the area. I suppose it will depend on weather or not there are any infected areas in Iowa or along the way the I may drive thru before arriving at the Rally.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:02 AM   #45
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave,

I thought you might know about the logging, seeing that you live up thata way! That State inspection part makes common sense to me.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:16 AM   #46
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Dannyl,

The burn bans are now back on here in Central Texas. We are behind something like 18 inches. We had about two inches two weeks ago so they lifted the ban for a very short period of time.

When we camped in Marble Falls you couldn't even use a BBQ pit. The only outside cooking you could do was on a propane grill. We took our kerosine heater with us so everyone stood around it and toasted themselves
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #47
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
An amazingly active topic! Here is another two cents worth. We love a campfire and it was great to sit around one with the kids--they really open up. Unfortunately, we have developed allergies to wood smoke and, I think, everything else. When the campfires get going, we are forced to shut the door--hopefully we are hooked up and have good power incase we have to use the AC. We love the propane "fireplaces" which are very safe and costs a lot less to operate than "store" wood. They don't transferred bugs, fungus, etc, Just food for thought.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:10 AM   #48
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I didn't realize what a response I would get to my question We are now seriously thinking about taking wood or not taking wood. I don't want a hefty fine. Nor do I want to transfer anything that would harm a tree from state to state.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:13 AM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never had a problem with 'wood bans" here in Ohio and always carry firewood when camping with our local camping group because the primary gahtering place is the campfire..We NEVER carry firewood when "on the road" Takes up space and many CG's no not allow campfires.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #50
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We always carry our own firewood.There are some campgrounds that dont allow you to use your own, you have to purchase from them.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote