Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Maybe axle alignment off

2019, 3021 with strange tire wear on lead axle. My tires with about 25000 miles on the lead axle are showing inside rib wear on one side and same axle outside rib wear on other tire. Dealer checked bearing and measured for alignment and issues with springs. He saws with all he has to work with nothing is out. Called frame shop and they will check it over, Montana wants to stay in loop even though we are out of warranty. Frame shop says tire wear indicates lead axle is not tracking correctly in the direction of travel. Worst case cutting off brackets and re welding. ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS???

Jeff & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Did the frame shop take measurements or only go by tread wear? If the frame shop can't tell you exactly what the problem is, go to another frame shop.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
RV still at dealer. Only spoke to frame shop and will be there next. They said it could be a easy fix or larger if brackets are out of line. Just confused with inner wear on one side and outer wear on other tire.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:28 AM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
That is unusual wear patterns but they could be individual problems. If the shop can't positively identify the problem, any solution to the fix would be a guess.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:37 AM   #5
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
They told me on the phone themwear pattern indicates axle not aligned with pin and direction of travel. The more I think about it the outside wear tire must be slightly ahead of the inside wear side. I recalculated tire mileage and it probably 18 to 20,000 miles. All wear is on the one axle.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
What comes to mind is if the spring hangers are welded out of alignment from the factory, they may owe you some assistance with the repair. That would probably be Lippert. The shop should coordinate with them and get it corrected.

Just thinkin, good luck.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Misaligned spring hangers is a possibility but rare. I would look first at the axle to ensure the pins are still in the correct spots on the springs and the bolts are not loose. A much more common problem that allows the axle to shift.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
GO ARMY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20780
I have the same issue a couple years back, took it to the dealer and i was told that my axle was bent called keystone and i was refer to dexter since the issue was the axle, dexter sent the dealer 2 new axle and put new tires on thinking that problem was solve. Drove about 800 miles and i notice the same tire wear is happening again so I went to a different dealer and while en route the axle hanger snapped off so the dealer put on new hanger checked the alignment and was told again that it was all good. this time we are heading to elkhart for the regional rally keeping an eye on that tire and the wear is getting worst, during the rally both LCI and dexter checked the axle alignment from the king pin (Center point) to the front axle and determined that the axle was off, the lift spring hanger was welded in the wrong place. so it was fixed by LCI but at this time all my trust was gone and decided to get the moryde IS and disc brake it was high but we do travel a lot so i can justify the upgrade
Air lift airbag, Trail air pin box, IS and Disc Brakes
GO ARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I side with Carl ... there is a round pin with a nut on one end down thru the center of most any spring stack. It locates in a hole in the spring mount to keep your spring stack in the proper place. I'd guess if your spring hangars were mislocated ... it would have shown up way before 20,000 miles. You might have hit a really big chuck hole or hopped over a curb in your travels. Very few dealers have anything close to equipment to check axle alignment ... go with a regular trailer alignment shop.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote