Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2020, 07:05 PM   #1
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
OTRMobile heads up...

All,

Just got off chat with OTRMobile, and I thought that I would pass along what they told me. You ARE going to lose your AT&T connection that OTR is currently using!!!!

If you have OTR, you know that they sent out a notice to current customers this past Tuesday (3/10) that they were going to offer a new plan. They didn't have a lot of details about the plan, but a coworker and I were able to find out that the new plans would use T-Mobile as the provider, not AT&T.

In the area we are in, TM is not all that great of a signal, BUT they are building out network fast, and with the merger with Sprint, they will have a lot of coverage quickly.

We inquired about what would happen if we didn't have good luck with Blast, and they assured us that we could go back to AT&T. So, I switched.

Yesterday, late in the day, our internet connection quit working, and I finally got thru with chat around 7:00PM TODAY. The OTR associate told me that they are no longer able to reset most AT&T SIM cards, and she didn't think she would be successful with mine, and she wasn't.

As I inquired more, I found out that eventually everyone on AT&T OTR will lose their connection, and if they want to stay with OTR, you will be required to switch to the new Blast plan.

The OTR plan was great, and the only real issue that we ever had with it was that it didn't work well with Sling TV. Finally figured out that was because Sling is owned by Dish, and they are a competitor of Direct, and AT&T was blocking our Sling signal. I have no respect for AT&T as a company after this incidence. YMMV

Just a heads up for the rest of you on OTR, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when you lose AT&T on OTR...

Old 03-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
They made it 3/14, and AT&T quit.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I don’t have OTR but did quit AT&T years ago due to poor customer service.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I don’t have OTR but did quit AT&T years ago due to poor customer service.
I'll never have anything from AT&T.

OTR had their issues too, but they were very pleasant on the phone and chat, and at least where trying. They were just a vehicle for AT&T internet...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #6
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Always used Verizon, never a problem and good service, may pay a little more but I know its always there when I need it.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:50 PM   #7
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
ATT also just bailed on Wineguard where the Togo system had ATT unlimited for $30 a month, all those that bought that antenna for that reason were hung out to dry by ATT January of this year.

While T-mobile is expanding coverage it is still a generation behind. Their 5G is still not as Robust as Verizon 4G.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #8
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
While T-mobile is expanding coverage it is still a generation behind. Their 5G is still not as Robust as Verizon 4G.
I'm not for sure that I agree with this. TM's 5G will be able to go further, and penetrate buildings easier than AT&T and Verizon, because of the shorter wavelength. Because of that, it will be easier for them to deploy, because they ultimately need fewer towers.

If you look at a TM 5G coverage map, they actually HAVE 5G coverage. Verizon has "spots" of coverage, only in metropolitan areas.

In Verizon's current 5G configuration, they will NEVER get 5G coverage to anyone that's further than 10 miles from a metropolitan area. That's 90% of the country. The way that they are going to do that is with fixed antennas. That's great for your house, but worthless for cell phones and RVers, or any device that's on the move. Even with that being said, you are still going to have to be "close" to a tower to get fixed 5G, probably within 5 miles to get decent speeds.

The Verizon stuff might be faster, but it is not that much faster...
Old 03-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #9
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
I was wrong on the speeds.

In places were Verizon 5G does exist, it is quite a bit faster than TM. Still no 5G coverage for mobile with Verizon, so it's somewhat a moot point ...
Old 03-15-2020, 08:52 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
I'm not for sure that I agree with this. TM's 5G will be able to go further, and penetrate buildings easier than AT&T and Verizon, because of the shorter wavelength. Because of that, it will be easier for them to deploy, because they ultimately need fewer towers.
Actually I think you mean LONGER wavelength. T Mobile uses a lower frequency 600 Mhz range signal (meaning longer wavelength) for their transmission rather than the higher ~1 Ghz range. Longer wavelengths (lower frequency) are better at penetration and longer distance. Shorter wavelengths (higher frequency) are better at attaining much higher speeds, but poor on distance and penetration.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:10 AM   #11
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
5G is not a panacea for cell or internet. ESPECIALLY in rural locations which most RVers find themselves. 5G will really improve urban communication because of the nature of the new tech and because 95% of their customers are in unban locations. But give me a robust 4g network in rural locations. 5G is simply not needed out there. Stop buying into 5G hype, 4g is fast mostly reliable and will be around for quite a while.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The short wave length 5G that Verizon is using is great. It is many times faster than 4G but won’t cover an entire football stadium so I think we can forget about it where we camp or most of us live. The long wave length that T Mobile is using is a little faster than 4G. Like ^ said forget about the hype the miracle 5G not going to happen any time soon.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #13
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Actually I think you mean LONGER wavelength. T Mobile uses a lower frequency 600 Mhz range signal (meaning longer wavelength) for their transmission rather than the higher ~1 Ghz range. Longer wavelengths (lower frequency) are better at penetration and longer distance. Shorter wavelengths (higher frequency) are better at attaining much higher speeds, but poor on distance and penetration.
Yes, longer. Thanks for catching that!
Old 03-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #14
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
5G is not a panacea for cell or internet. ESPECIALLY in rural locations which most RVers find themselves. 5G will really improve urban communication because of the nature of the new tech and because 95% of their customers are in unban locations. But give me a robust 4g network in rural locations. 5G is simply not needed out there. Stop buying into 5G hype, 4g is fast mostly reliable and will be around for quite a while.
... and that's exactly why I LOVED the OTR stuff on AT&T. 4G, and I was CONSISTENTLY getting 60+ M down and 20 up.

AT&T sucks for what they are doing, yanking plans from people. We are on a Verizon plan that is no longer available, but they have NOT taken it away from us...
Old 03-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #15
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Come on guys. 60+Mb download speeds!! Are we really in need of 4k movies on our devices? And isn't Elon Musk going to save the world and ruin astronomical visual research?
Old 03-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #16
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Come on guys. 60+Mb download speeds!! Are we really in need of 4k movies on our devices? And isn't Elon Musk going to save the world and ruin astronomical visual research?
I don't need 4k on my devices it even my TVs, BUT I do want to be able to watch on two TVs and run a computer at the same time.

For us, OTR is our FIXED wireless solution. We don't use it for mobile, generally speaking, but we do take it with us when we are camping..
Old 03-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #17
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
In theory 4g should get faster as the first adopters move to 5G... less traffic on 4G towers... better for us "slow pokes".

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #18
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
I don't need 4k on my devices it even my TVs, BUT I do want to be able to watch on two TVs and run a computer at the same time.

For us, OTR is our FIXED wireless solution. We don't use it for mobile, generally speaking, but we do take it with us when we are camping..
Thanks. I did not know what OTR was.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #19
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
No, but those of us that telecommute which is a fast growing number, especially right in this moment, it is important. 60mb download is best case that is not a constant by any means
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #20
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
For those of us that do tech support from the road. the bigger the pipe the better. I can tell the difference be tween DSL speeds 25Mb and !00Mb
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote