Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Residential Fridge Advice

We're taking our first extended trip in a few weeks and have a few travel related questions. We plan on covering 1050 miles in two days, traveling roughly 9 hours the first day and 7+ the second. Based on everyone's own experience does this seem excessive? Any concerns from a mechanical standpoint? We have a 2017 F350 6.7L, CC, DW, and a 2017 3791RD with minimal miles on the tires so both are mechanically sound...

Also, that first night we'll be staying at a friends without 30-50 amp service. While the Fridge will run off truck power while driving, when stopped overnight it will be without power. In general, during summertime conditions, will the fridge retain a low enough temp to keep things cold or should we plan on packing a cooler? I think I know the answer but wanted to appease the DW by asking.

Thanks

wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've gone further and driven longer than what you have planed. We prefer not to do it and you probably will too after you've done it a few times. I'm assuming you must have a residential refrigerator and I can't help you there. We frequently overnight in parking lots, etc. and so, for us, an RV frig that we can run on propane is necessary.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
If you keep it closed probably ok. But might freeze some gallon jugs for a little extra security
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
I contacted Keystone about the Fridge matter and was told that they don't recommend running the fridge off the truck while driving for more than 6 hours as it will drain the battery?? They recommend either unplugging the fridge or disconnecting the invertor which is located behind a wall in the main cellar compartment. I've asked for clarification as I didn't think the battery would run-down if the engine was running and operating correctly...
Old 06-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
IF you only have one battery in your rig and are running a residential refrig you will not make it throuogh the night with only one battery. Besides the refrig there are numerous other items that run off the battery/ies that will draw that battery down. I purchased a connection that plugs into the 50 amp receptacle that I can plug a 120 volt heavy duty extension cord into and run the unit while not on 50 or 30 amp hookups. It will run the frig for you BUT you will more than likely not be able to run anything else especially the A/C. I purchased it on Amazon. It works great for me when I'm sitting at home and don't want to empty the refrig. I can run some lights also and it also keeps the batteries( I have two) charged. I DO NOT have a residential frig however. This is just a suggestion or an alternative to not running any power at all to the frig.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
I drove about 8 hours coming back from my delivery to my house and did not notice any issues with the truck battery being drained. I do have two truck batteries. With that said, we are going on a 600 mile trip on Saturday, so we will see.

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Troutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
We have a res fridge. We drove 13 hours this last April. Single Interstate Battery from dealer. Battery voltage was 12.9 volts at the end of 13 hours of driving. So the truck kept the battery charged and temps in fridge was -2 and 38. Which what they were set at. Now this was not summer driving where the load will be heavier so your results may vary. Battery was also fully charged at start of trip. What I have added for piece of mind is an indoor outdoor thermometer. I put the outside sensor in the fridge. From the cab of the truck I can monitor the fridge temp.

I would use some sort of an adapter to supply power for fridge overnight or your second day you may have an issue because you ran your battery down and now the truck cannot keep up with charging battery and powering fridge though your battery.

In Summer months I was told during PDI the battery could run the fridge for 8-10 hours.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We prefer to take 3 days for that many miles.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #9
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
What I was planning on doing is placing frozen gallon jugs in the freezer/fridge. Running the fridge the while driving the first day, using the disconnect switch's while parked overnight, about 8-10 hours, and then running fridge off truck again the second day...I think the freezer/fridge will keep things cold enough overnight, maybe? Both the F350 and 3791RD have two batteries. Thoughts?
Old 06-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #10
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
that long.
invest in at least 4 (6 better) 6 volt deep cycle batteries. or at least two very over priced lifepro4 batteries.
got a good generator rated at twice what the reffer needs?

but how old are the rv tires? bearings?

do not include your trucks batteries in any of this, as they are for your truck not anything else.
pluse they are the wrong style.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #11
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Tires - 1 year

Bearings - just greased
Old 06-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #12
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
good to hear, as so many take off not thinking about the age of the tires, and then complain about a blowout. or a frozen bearing due to no grease
Old 06-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #13
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Residential fridge during travel

I am somewhat confused concerning the residential fridge and the battery drain mentioned in some of the posts above.

I assume I have a single battery in that black plastic box up front (I cant remember what I was told during PDI in January - one battery or two?). I thought the truck charged that battery while in transit...is that correct?

Does the res fridge (via the inverter)use more power from the house battery than the charge can counter act and keep up with? Why are you guys saying that the battery will be drained after a long day driving? Once you get to the campground and get plugged in - won’t the fridge be ok for the night and start out good and cold for the next days trip? And won’t the house battery get charged from the converter overnight?

We have only done ~5 hrs or so driving with the unit so far and I have not noticed any issues with battery drain or fridge not staying cold...don’t know what it would do on a longer day.

I like Jim’s idea of using couple jugs of frozen water to help keep inside cold.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #14
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
I took this photo of a poster that the dealer had in a Fuzion toy hauler last year at a RV show.

Sorry for the sideways photo, the computer said that I don't have permission to save it after i rotated it. Who knows why, I don't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170127_1602388.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	1851  
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #15
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
yes the truck can charge up your coach batt, but may not be able to keep up with more than that. (pending what your alt puts out).
also some trucks will allow your coach to drain the trucks batt. they can not take that kind of use. can kill them and then you are stuck where you sit.
as to the dealer. most only give you one multi use 12 volt batt. ( avaible everywhere cheap). they are not so great for deep use..
time for you to research battries and charging systems for a rv
Old 06-26-2018, 09:41 PM   #16
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
I just returned from a 4600 mile trip, first day I drove almost 12 hours, had a couple of 10 hour days. We had zero issues running the residential fridge off the truck while in transit. My 6.7 has the dual heavy duty alternators and had no issue with any battery drain. We were concerned like you that we might have issues, and I fabricated a rear rack to hold two 54 qt, Lifetime products (yeti style) coolers that married in the rear receiver hitch. Didn’t need them for a safety net after all.
Sailun 637 tires Predator 3500 (2) paralleled
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:00 AM   #17
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLNTIME View Post
I just returned from a 4600 mile trip, first day I drove almost 12 hours, had a couple of 10 hour days. We had zero issues running the residential fridge off the truck while in transit. My 6.7 has the dual heavy duty alternators and had no issue with any battery drain. We were concerned like you that we might have issues, and I fabricated a rear rack to hold two 54 qt, Lifetime products (yeti style) coolers that married in the rear receiver hitch. Didn’t need them for a safety net after all.

what if you were to stay in one spot for two , three, more days?
as it sounds like you have the on road part taken care of.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:26 AM   #18
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
[QUOTE]what if you were to stay in one spot for two , three, more days?[QUOTE]

To follow up on my previous post - is the concern driving all day while draining the battery then staying at a dry camp or Walmart lot with no power to plug into? If you stay in a park with hook ups - doesn’t the battery drain concern go away? I can understand the concern if you are faced with a dry camp situation at the end of a long day.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #19
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
my experience with Res. Fridg....
Have 2 batteries, and make sure the icemaker is turned off.
The truck will 'help' keep the batteries charged during travel.

When you stop overnight, run a 110 20 amp extension cord to your friend's house. Nothing else on in the rig. This will allow the converter to recharge your batteries and keep the fridg. cool.

That way you're ready for the next leg of the journey.
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #20
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
As Arkware said! - You can get the adapter on Amazon that adapts a 110 extension cord to you 5er's 4 prong plug. I have it connected right now in my driveway - I can run everything but AC units off a 20 amp circuit. Charges the batts and the frig stays frozen

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-15A-30A-P...2Badapter&th=1
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote