Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #21
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Our generator was factory installed and I would definitely recommend doing it that way to avoid dealer labor charges. On another note, I also elected to upgrade the propane tanks to 40# tanks (and yes, they are heavy). The LP generators drink the propane pretty rapidly. I have two 12 volts currently in the battery compartment so you should have no problems.
Bingo
Thanks again Bingo for the great advice! I will just have them do the gen install. I was going to do the gen prep anyway, but may as well have it done at factory because you're right the labor would probably be ridiculous, plus full msrp on the gen probably if do it later. I didn't know how much flexibility we had ordering from the factory if it wasn't listed as an option. I will try to get the dual batts and the larger propane bottles too if I can, as I will want to do that too anyway. Appreciate you taking the time to help me out on this!

Greg

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #22
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dealer upgraded the propane tanks for me and I did the dual battery install myself.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #23
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

In regard to the Level-Up System, I just received an e-mail from Lippert yesterday. They have approved additional service centers for installations. I tried to paste the info here, but it all ran together, if anyone is interested PM me and I'll forward the e-mail. I agree, would prefer to have such a system installed prior to putting the unit on the frame, would make for a much neater installation, but I have no complaints about my install, just love the ease of set-up.
Thanks Michelle and Ann. Somehow I got that email too, I must have signed up with them at one time. Good to know if I don't want to order the whole package, I could at least get the install down in California now. Say, I love your cat - is that called silver and black tabby, or mackerel? Just beautiful. Thanks again for the heads up on the Lippert.

Greg
Old 08-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
He's an American Shorthair Classic Silver Tabby. Mackerel is the zebra stripes.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #25
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

He's an American Shorthair Classic Silver Tabby. Mackerel is the zebra stripes.
Silver Tabby, should have gone with my first guess He is quite handsome. We have two domestic shorthairs, one black tabby (Cleo, for Cleopatra) and Zinger an orange tabby male.

You two have a wonderful truck/trailer combo. I just test drove a 3500 DRW like yours this weekend except it was a crew cab. How are you liking the Chevy? I was quite impressed with the test drive, but still have the F450 on the table too. I really like the Chevy, but it's a little smaller in the interior and I'm 6-2 so I was a little cramped for height. Love the engine and transmission combination though, and the transmission felt really good on the Chevrolet.

Happy travels!

Greg
Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #26
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
We love our 3750FL. I have owned many RVs and I am more comfortable in the Monty than any other. I am 6'4" and 280# and have yet to hit my head inside the coach. Outside is a different story. The living room (Man Cave) is great and the ceiling height in the kitchen, dining, bath, and bedroom is great. I can actually take a shower without my head in the skylight. Heck, I can't even reach the ceiling. I added a second battery. Want a backup. Added the 2nd A/C, vent screens, dog screens on the two doors, and a backup camera. We like the 2nd door. We use it as a mud room. The Big Sky package was not available at the time we purchased our coach (one year next month). We enjoy the desk and have an all-in-one printer/copier/scanner on top of the desk strapped to the railing. Dutchman has announced a 3750FL also and you make like some of the changes that they made to the floorplan. For example, the frig is in the dining slide. I really like that change.
Good luck
Joe
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #27
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

We love our 3750FL. I have owned many RVs and I am more comfortable in the Monty than any other. I am 6'4" and 280# and have yet to hit my head inside the coach. Outside is a different story. The living room (Man Cave) is great and the ceiling height in the kitchen, dining, bath, and bedroom is great. I can actually take a shower without my head in the skylight. Heck, I can't even reach the ceiling. I added a second battery. Want a backup. Added the 2nd A/C, vent screens, dog screens on the two doors, and a backup camera. We like the 2nd door. We use it as a mud room. The Big Sky package was not available at the time we purchased our coach (one year next month). We enjoy the desk and have an all-in-one printer/copier/scanner on top of the desk strapped to the railing. Dutchman has announced a 3750FL also and you make like some of the changes that they made to the floorplan. For example, the frig is in the dining slide. I really like that change.
Good luck
Joe
Hey Captain Joe, I'm only 6-2, but that is exactly why we are going with the 3750 like you. Shower without stooping!! And all the room in the bedroom to actually get dressed, we have never seen a bedroom with that much room. It totally makes sense to have all the standing activities in the tallest part of the trailer, and the sitting in the living room in the lower ceiling area. We thought the same thing on using the bathroom entry for dirty shoes and clothes as you come in... We had dual 6-volts in our previous travel trailer and it worked pretty well. I use a cpap, and could still go several days dry camping with the two sixes. I saw that Dutchman, wasn't sure which would be better construction-wise, but they don't offer as many upgrade options it looked like. Do like that frig in the slide too though.

Thanks for the comments on your 3750, we really appreciate it!

Greg
Old 08-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #28
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Greg, Love the truck. Traded in an 05 extended cab dually with duramax/allison (5 speed) for this one. Wanted the longer warranty, exhaust brake, and more power. Love the cruise braking feature, set the cruise and about the only time you touch the brake is for pit stops. Removed the rear seat and installed the cats cage. We travel with anywhere from 2 to 4 with us. These guys are CFA Registered and we travel to shows, showing them. No money, just an expensive hobby, but we enjoy it, lots of friends just like here (hope to finally meet some face to face at the Rally). We looked at the 3750, but it was more that we really wanted. Best Regards,
Old 08-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #29
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Just got back from South Dakota. Had a 3400RL, and have no regrets. Love the layout. Would recommend the 2nd AC. Hate loosing the Fantastic Vent, but our unit has the AC in the bedroom. Tough to cool the whole unit.
boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #30
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Our Big Sky 3580RL has a AC in the living room and the bedroom and a Fantastic Vent Fan in the kitchen.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #31
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
Our 3750FL is our 5th RV in our 50+years of Rv'ing. We selected our 3750 after comparing all makes and models of 5th Wheel RV's for over a year at RV Shows, dealers, and visiting with folks in RV parks, with our experiences for what we do, etc. We traded a JayCo Eagle for our Montana a little over a year ago. We liked our Eagle and the previous RV's but our 3750 is by far the nicest, most comfortable, easiest pulling, and most convenient that we have owned. We use it all seasons (we live in Colorado) and it is also the best winter using unit that we have ever owned.

The only modification to our 3750FL has been adding foam Pipe strips (obtained at Home Depot intended for insulation of pipes) to the projecting wooden molding above the couches in the front living room. Those projecting moldings (that cover the slide motor mechanism) are head bangers unless you cover them with protection. The Foam pipe covers have an advesive strip along the split that makes them easy to attach and they are easy to cut and bend to fit around the corners.
Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #32
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
Since Tow vehicles are mentioned above for the 3750FL, I will describe ours. I have more than one Dodge D3500 Dually that we use to pull and haul ranch trailers and equipment and our 3750 RV. We regularly pull up to ranch loads of 25,000 pounds or more in the mountains of Colorado with no problem. In fact, with the High Performance Cummins engine in the Dodge D3500 Duallys, the engines produce 800 ft lb of torque. Dodge rates the truck to pull up to 30,000 pounds. That is almost double the weight of a fully loaded Montana 3750FL. (We use only manual shift tranmissions for our trucks in the Mountains of Colorado, never auto transmissions for work trucks.)

I have noticed that when hitched to our 3750FL I hardly ever notice that I am pulling any trailer at all until I look in the mirrors. It is certanly less noticable than when pulling our horse or livestock trailers or machinery or flatbed tailers. Pulling the 11,000+ ft passes in Colorado is childs play, and going down with the exhaust brake is a breeze. Our trucks have 3.73 axles since for our use even the 4.10 axles are not needed.

We also notice that our MPG useage when pulling our Montana 3750FL is almost the same as when running without any trailer at all. We recently returned from two weeks with our RV to and from the West Coast of Orgegon and our total diesel consumption averaged 16.3 MPG round trip after return to Colorado.

This even included some varying driving at the places where we camped for two or three days at a time. (We attended the Good Sam Rally at Redmond and also stayed at John Day, Crater Lake, Medford, Gold Hill, Rogue River, Portland area, etc., so we drove around some in those areas after we unhooked the RV in the Campgrounds.)
Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #33
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

. Removed the rear seat and installed the cats cage. We travel with anywhere from 2 to 4 with us. These guys are CFA Registered and we travel to shows, showing them. No money, just an expensive hobby, but we enjoy it, lots of friends just like here (hope to finally meet some face to face at the Rally). We looked at the 3750, but it was more that we really wanted. Best Regards,
That's so funny, same with us. We always joked that we don't make any money with our dogs, in fact they cost us $60,000 for the tow vehicle and trailer we first had. The girls are too old now, but they used to lure course and do straights and ovals, so we had a great excuse to go camping and usually in some really nice off the beaten path place. Sophie, the black one, finished with some rather nice letters after her name including Field Champion. Our little Carmen, the blue one, was usually "most appreciated", but she didn't care she just loves to run anyway... Have fun!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #34
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boje

Just got back from South Dakota. Had a 3400RL, and have no regrets. Love the layout. Would recommend the 2nd AC. Hate loosing the Fantastic Vent, but our unit has the AC in the bedroom. Tough to cool the whole unit.
Thanks boje,

Yeah, we're doing the 2nd AC. Just got off the phone with a dealer to actually see if we can do the bedroom AC and also get a Fantastic in there because we do a lot of dry camping too. He didn't think so, but figured it was worth a shot.

Greg
Old 08-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #35
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rancher Will

Since Tow vehicles are mentioned above for the 3750FL, I will describe ours. I have more than one Dodge D3500 Dually that we use to pull and haul ranch trailers and equipment and our 3750 RV. We regularly pull up to ranch loads of 25,000 pounds or more in the mountains of Colorado with no problem. In fact, with the High Performance Cummins engine in the Dodge D3500 Duallys, the engines produce 800 ft lb of torque. Dodge rates the truck to pull up to 30,000 pounds. That is almost double the weight of a fully loaded Montana 3750FL. (We use only manual shift tranmissions for our trucks in the Mountains of Colorado, never auto transmissions for work trucks.)

I have noticed that when hitched to our 3750FL I hardly ever notice that I am pulling any trailer at all until I look in the mirrors. It is certanly less noticable than when pulling our horse or livestock trailers or machinery or flatbed tailers. Pulling the 11,000+ ft passes in Colorado is childs play, and going down with the exhaust brake is a breeze. Our trucks have 3.73 axles since for our use even the 4.10 axles are not needed.

We also notice that our MPG useage when pulling our Montana 3750FL is almost the same as when running without any trailer at all. We recently returned from two weeks with our RV to and from the West Coast of Orgegon and our total diesel consumption averaged 16.3 MPG round trip after return to Colorado.

This even included some varying driving at the places where we camped for two or three days at a time. (We attended the Good Sam Rally at Redmond and also stayed at John Day, Crater Lake, Medford, Gold Hill, Rogue River, Portland area, etc., so we drove around some in those areas after we unhooked the RV in the Campgrounds.)
Will, thanks so much for your detailed response. Nice to know with so much experience you picked this trailer brand and model. Just curious, did you go with the dual pane windows? Dealers keep trying to talk me out of it saying they won't really make a difference with insulation, and only minimal on sound reduction.

I didn't know the Dodge was rated to 30k pounds. I have been going back and forth with the Ford and the 3.73 vs the 430 gears. I know the 4.30 gears are overkill, but I have heard the turning radius on the F450 is really nice to have. I might have to rethink just getting the F350, not sure. You got some good mileage with the 3.73's.

You just came back from my area! I grew up in Portland and now live across the river in Vancouver. You hit some great spots, hope you enjoyed our neck of the woods.

Thanks again for the reply Will.

Greg
Old 08-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #36
Tko
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6130
Seahunter

We have had no towing issues with the F250 Turbo Diesel single axel not 4WD. The unit sits level and tows smoothly. In fact this 3750 tows much better than our previous Mountaineer tow behind! Of course I don't tow with any tanks filled.

Paul and Nancy
Tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #37
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Same here Tko and we have the V10 engine.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #38
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Paul and Nancy,
Tell your dealer that yes the fantastic fan can be added in the bedroom along with the second AC. We have a regular vent over the bed as well as the AC mounted about three feet away from the vent. It can be done.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #39
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
My Big Sky 3580RL with 2 AC units also has a vent in the bedroom about 4 ft from the AC, it also has the Fantastic Fan in the kitchen.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #40
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks again Frank and Bingo!

The vent and AC in the bedroom - was the vent factory installed, or did the dealer install?

Thanks

Greg