Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2020, 10:42 PM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Intermittent water pump failure

So this past week was our first experience with dry camping after 10 years and two Montanas.
It was a great trip but one issue was the water pump would completely at random stop working. Both with and without the generator running.

I thought maybe the batteries were low, but that did not seem to be a factor and I could not seem to find a "pattern" to what was causing the malfunction.
Ended up taking a few sponge baths with water heated on the stove top!

I thought I would take a look at the pump, but I'm not sure I would see anything that would be a clue to this mystery and am strongly considering just replacing it.

Problem is...I have NO idea where it's located and rather than just start opening stuff up I thought I would see if anyone could point me in the right direction (I have a 2011 3580RL)

Also wondering if there is a worthwhile upgrade rather than just replacing it with the stock pump? Thanks!

Old 08-14-2020, 12:24 AM   #2
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
If like most pumps then yours is located behind the convenience center. I replaced mine with a Shurflo 4008-101-a65. They also have the e-65 which is the same pump but is the after market sales # whereas the a65 is the rv manufactures #. They are about 60.00 to 65.00 on Amazon. They are 3 gpm and about 55 psi. They are much more quite than the factory one. You can also add a quite kit to the lines behind the pump and add some 1/2'' pipe foam as far as you can reach behind the pump. Mine is probably 90% more quite than before. I have to be listening for the sound to actually hear anything. This will take you less than an hour to install. Good luck.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:19 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Sounds like an electrical problem a loose connection or the pressure switch than is located in the pump.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Sounds like an electrical problem a loose connection or the pressure switch than is located in the pump.
Lynwood

And check/reseat the connections behind the switch on the control panel.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
As always, great info regarding the water pump! I am thinking I will just go ahead and replace it with the Shurflo and do as suggested about making it quieter.
The original one is VERY noisy and since it's not a real expensive item, I am going to look for it and see about replacing it. I will however also check the switch connection while I'm at it.

Edit: OK, just ordered the Shurflo pump, quiet kit, strainer basket and I decided to give the accumulator tank a try based on good reviews.
Looking forward to getting this installed and will post the results!
Old 08-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I installed a small accumulater (1 pint?). It doesn't really help with the noise but it does reduce the pump cycling.
I read a post where someone install the 2.5 gallon accumulater under the sink on the cold water line with a T valve for easy winterizing.
If I was to do it again, thats what I would do.
As for the pump noise, put neoprene foam pad under the screws mounts and foam pipe insulation on every pipe you can reach that touches the wall or frame. This will help stop reverberation up the walls and frame.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Yep, I'm gonna use the foam insulation and mounting insulation ideas to really get this new pump quiet as possible.

The old one (original?) I'm replacing is ridiculously LOUD!
Old 08-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #8
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
The Shur-flo pump will already have rubber at the mounting points so you won't need anything else. This pump is already more quite than the Flo-jet that comes on these units and adding the quite kit and extra foam on the lines will be much much more quite than before. I did all this just because the hammering sound during the night. I keep the old pump just for emergencies only.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Sounds great, looking forward to getting this installed!
Old 08-15-2020, 10:05 PM   #10
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
The Shur-flo pump will already have rubber at the mounting points so you won't need anything else. This pump is already more quite than the Flo-jet that comes on these units and adding the quite kit and extra foam on the lines will be much much more quite than before. I did all this just because the hammering sound during the night. I keep the old pump just for emergencies only.
Not sure where to find the pump on my 358BH, but I sure can hear it! Like you said, very loud. Any ideas where to look greatly appreciated. Wonder how much quieter it would be with just adding the pipe insulation? Thanks!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:02 AM   #11
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Not sure where to find the pump on my 358BH, but I sure can hear it! Like you said, very loud. Any ideas where to look greatly appreciated. Wonder how much quieter it would be with just adding the pipe insulation? Thanks!
It should be behind the convenience center. Remove the 5 screws holding the panel to access.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #12
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Is that where the water hook ups are on the outside of the coach? Mine is inside a hatch. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #13
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
It should be behind the convenience center. Remove the 5 screws holding the panel to access.
How easy is it to maneuver it once its out? All those water line connections and tv cable etc. Don’t want to open a can of worms. Sounds easy enough but would like a little detail from someone that has done it. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #14
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Hey Texan, was wondering how much room there is once the panel is off. With all the water line connections, TV cable etc. How easy is it to maneuver around and install the pump? Want to avoid causing leaks etc. Sounds rather straight forward but don’t want to tackle something where I might get myself in trouble. You should do a U-Tube video! lol! Thanks.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #15
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If the pipes that go into the pump are hard pex, transition them to some flexible lines and feed the pump. Do you best to insulate the pipes from each other. I unscrewed mine pump from the floor and set it on a bed of insulation and encased it with insulation. Really quieted it down.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #16
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
How easy is it to maneuver it once its out? All those water line connections and tv cable etc. Don’t want to open a can of worms. Sounds easy enough but would like a little detail from someone that has done it. Thanks.
It was easy on my model - not that familiar with yours.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #17
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Hey Texan, was wondering how much room there is once the panel is off. With all the water line connections, TV cable etc. How easy is it to maneuver around and install the pump? Want to avoid causing leaks etc. Sounds rather straight forward but don’t want to tackle something where I might get myself in trouble. You should do a U-Tube video! lol! Thanks.
There was plenty of room to install the pump. You don't have to disconnect anything extra to install the pump. It will take you just about as long to get to the pump as to do the change out. When installing the foam around the water pipes you can reach only so far with your arms to get this installed. I took a few screws off my coroplast underneath the convenience center so i could install more foam to the pipes but this is just an option. I wanted to reach a far as i could so as to quite the pipes going to the shower on account of the hammering i was getting. All is quite now. Good luck. P.S. don't over tighten the fittings. Snug is enough.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #18
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
If the pipes that go into the pump are hard pex, transition them to some flexible lines and feed the pump. Do you best to insulate the pipes from each other. I unscrewed mine pump from the floor and set it on a bed of insulation and encased it with insulation. Really quieted it down.
Looks like you need to remove the handles off the tank valve controls to get the panels out? Looks like it should come straight from there? Not having a problem with the pump at this point. Just loud and would like to see if I can quiet it down. Thought about adding some additional rubber legs under the pump to dampen the vibration and noise. I’ll look at it and see what I want to do. Thanks
Old 08-16-2020, 11:09 AM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
No, no, no you are attacking it from the wrong side. The white plastic panel connected to the the left edge of the convenience center is what you want to remove. It is screwed to the edge and to the rear wall of the pass through. The water pump is easily accessed once the plastic panel is removed.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #20
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Looks like you need to remove the handles off the tank valve controls to get the panels out? Looks like it should come straight from there? Not having a problem with the pump at this point. Just loud and would like to see if I can quiet it down. Thought about adding some additional rubber legs under the pump to dampen the vibration and noise. I’ll look at it and see what I want to do. Thanks
No you take the carpet covered panel off from the left of the convenience center. The pump is right there on the floor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_172125.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	7033