Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
Dane
Established Member

M.O.C. #751
Don't Do What We Did

As painful as it is to publicly admit our recent mistake, I share the following in hopes of others avoiding the same experience. My wife and I had a wonderful weekend of camping in our Montana 2955 two weekends ago. When hooking up, everything seemed normal. The truck hitch aligned with the fifth wheel pin and the normal “noise” we notice then the hitch locking arm engages was noted. The trouble was, our hitch wasn’t locked and we did not carefully visually confirm that it was (OK - I didn’t as my wife was behind the wheel). When pulling forward we dropped our fifth wheel on the bed of our beautiful Ford 250. Many of the armchair quarterbacks in the campground gathered around to witness our demise. We raised the Montana off of the bed and low and behold it has hardly even scratched let alone damaged. What a durable unit! Our truck required a new side panel and tailgate to the tune of about $1800. Everything is fixed and looking new again. Perhaps it goes without saying – we won’t make that mistake again. The moral of this story – triple check your hitch to see that it is locked!

Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #2
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Thanks for the reminder Dane. FWIW, you're not the first and won't be the last with an unlocked hitch. Most of us have been red-faced at one time or another. I'm going to underline "pull test" on my predeparture checklist. Glad no one was hurt.
Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:37 AM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Ouch!.... we're glad that no one was hurt. As GordonR said, we've all been "red-faced" at one time or another. Many other members have posted their mishaps also. It sure helps the rest of us to (hopefully) avoid the same event.

Maybe that would be a good idea for a section here at the MOC... an official place to post our "red-faces"... hahaha
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dane, what kind of hitch are you using? Sorry to hear about your misfortune. As GordonR said, you're not the first and won't be the last. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not in that position. As serious as it was, I'm glad to hear the Montana didn't also suffer damage.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Okay, here I am green and dripping sap... How do you "tell" your hitch is secure? (Before you laugh... remember we don't even HAVE our Monty yet... and I have never hitched anything like that up..).. I would certainly like to avoid the costly damage type mistakes and move right on to the stupid and entertaining type that other campers enjoy watching...
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:28 PM   #6
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Appreciate your willingness to share your mistake--we can only imagine how you must have felt. As others have said--we all have our share of "red-faced" moments and can only hope that others will learn from our errors. That is one of the great things about the MOC. Here's another member who will be triple checking the hitch and thinking a grateful thought of you.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:51 PM   #7
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
it would seem therre is a design flaw in most 5th wheel hitches.
with the hitch we have it is impossible to have the hitch not latch.
when i back into the pin there is a sliding drawbar that closes behind the pin. the handle slides into the hitch also. its very easy to tell if it locked. if the handle is out it didnt latch. if the handle slid in then it is positivly latched. im glade i have the hitch i have.
it is a RBW LIL-Rocker.

http://rbwindustries.com/prod02.htm

Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 04:12 PM   #8
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Sorry about your mishap. Along with the visual sign of the pull rod going in, I also look at the hitch to make sure the bar comes fully across behind the pin on the trailer. I have also heard of people painting the slide bar white so it is easier to see. It just takes a second to peek under there and verify it is fully engaged. Anyway,, that is one idea I thought might be useful. Good luck and don't feel bad. We have all pulled stunts we are not proud of,, lol. Good luck to you and happy rv'ing.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:15 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Sorry to hear about you mishap. I installed a bed saver on my hitch after reading many post on another site about this very same thing. It is a great product. Go to www.bedsaver.com to see the product. It is the best $180.00 insurance policy I have ever bought. It will catch your 5er if you do not have it hitched up properly and save it from dropping on the bed of the truck.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:42 AM   #10
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
RangerMelB,
As you can tell by the replies above, there are different hitches available. The method of verifying the hitch is locked will vary. One suggestion, since you're in the Ranger business, is to have a conversation with a few fifth wheel campers in one of your campgrounds (especially those with Montanas.) Most will be happy to show you their hitches and explain them. That way, you can see the different types and get a feel for the pros and cons of the different models.
Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:08 AM   #11
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We listen for the "clank", watch the handle move and then check to make sure the the bar closes behind the pin. Just take your time, don't be in a hurry hopefully it won't happen to you. Make yourself a check list and then after you do stuff a couple times it will become 2nd nature.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RangerMelB

Okay, here I am green and dripping sap... How do you "tell" your hitch is secure? (Before you laugh... remember we don't even HAVE our Monty yet... and I have never hitched anything like that up..).. I would certainly like to avoid the costly damage type mistakes and move right on to the stupid and entertaining type that other campers enjoy watching...
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:09 AM   #12
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Dane, I'm very sorry this happened to you!!! That has been one of my biggest fears, to have the hitch not catch and drop the 5er, that and blowing a tire. Good luck and I hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:12 AM   #13
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
That's awesome, I just sent it to my husband via email! THANKS!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

Sorry to hear about you mishap. I installed a bed saver on my hitch after reading many post on another site about this very same thing. It is a great product. Go to www.bedsaver.com to see the product. It is the best $180.00 insurance policy I have ever bought. It will catch your 5er if you do not have it hitched up properly and save it from dropping on the bed of the truck.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:26 AM   #14
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
good ideas allaround.. THanks!
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:33 AM   #15
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
I also made the same mistake several years ago with a Prowler. It really scared me but caused little damage. Lucky for me it happened at home so no one saw it but me. It has made me more careful.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:23 AM   #16
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
That is exactly why I only raise the landing gear about an inch and pull forward just enough that the Mountaineer moves. Then I get out and finish raising the landing gear. At 1 inch if it does fall the truck and 5er never touch.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:40 AM   #17
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dbrill

That is exactly why I only raise the landing gear about an inch and pull forward just enough that the Mountaineer moves. Then I get out and finish raising the landing gear. At 1 inch if it does fall the truck and 5er never touch.
I do the same except that I hook up the trailer brakes and try to "drag" the trailer to make sure it is solidly attached!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:18 PM   #18
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
That is the reason I to bought a "bed saver" just don`t want campers to see a grown man cry.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:24 AM   #19
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
Sorry to hear of your misfourtune. I too use all of the suggested procedures followed by a pull test. Before I raise the landing gears I place the truck in forward gear and gently try to pull forward. I once had a fellow camper tell me a pull test was not needed but it gives me some sense of security!
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:28 AM   #20
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
RangerMelB,
The best way to tell is to "look check and recheck then test pull, lift the legs 1/4" up and test pull.
Good Luck on your purchas.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote