Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2004, 06:40 PM   #1
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
medical and mail service

Hey folks I need some advice as me and the wife are planning on going full time in the future and we are trying to get things in order and the two big items are how do you do your medical and your mail service? I have some medical now from when I retired from the civil service and I have medical now at the railroad and I'm told that the policy that I have now at the railroad stops and they have a modified one that you can buy. I also have medicare part A but that is only hospital benefits. I can use all the help on this item that is available.

Puz & Muz Pigpens
Future Full Timers

Montana_1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:10 AM   #2
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
puzzie, We are going through similar transition right now. Best thing to do is check with your individual insurance reps to determine how your medical insurance will work when you are traveling. I am not sure if the civil service insurance is under Tri Care but they have additional medical insurance available at very reasonable rates. Tom is retired USAF, is covered by Tri Care for Life and also has added medicare part B to his medical insurance. As for me, since I do not qualify for medicare at this point, we found excellent coverage and reasonable rates by signing me up for Tri Care Prime until I reach medicare age. You do have to have a primary care physician with Tri Care. We have found a local PCP who is willing to refer us with just a phone call from wherever we are at any time a need for medical care arises. If you are covered by tri care they have a good website with excellent information and phone number contacts for any questions. As for mail I know some other members here are using a mail forwarding service. I am sure they will jump in here with recommendations. As for us, we have gotten a P.O. Box near friends and family who we can call to pick up mail and forward to us. Hope this helps.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:24 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Puzzie, there are several mail forwarding services who cater to RV'ers and provide a mailing address for you. We use Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls, SD. Website is www.alternativeresources.net . Another in SD is MyHomeAddress. I think the website is www.myhomeaddressinc.com . Also, American Home Base in Pensacola, FL. www.amhomebase.com . My uncle/aunt used them for several years. I think Escapees is theone in Texas. www.escapees.com .

As for medical coverage, I probably can't help too much on this one. I retired from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas so continue that converage in retirement. When you need a prescription refill, take your prescription bottle to a pharmacy participating in your insurance and they'll call to transfer the prescription to their store. We usually try to use a national chain store mainly because they often have these things computerized, which makes transferring that much easier. Generally, even when not computerized, we'll have our prescription with half an hour, no more than an hour, after we walked into the store. We usually use Walmart pharmacies but have also used Walgreen's, etc. Just ask to make sure they participate with your insurance. This has not been a problem at all. The most difficult part is the time zone change when they need to physically call to transfer the prescription. You need a time when both stores are open if they're not linked by computer. Not a big deal, just something to remember.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote