Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
new 3400RL accident first day

Well, the size of this beast was a lot more than I thought it was once I got it on the back of my Sierra 2500. I live in Rhode Island and we have two way streets here that shouldn't be one way streets. After picking up the brand new rig, I managed to scrape a brick building side causing a small (one inch) chip to the left rear of the fiberglass rear side. So question: does anyone here think those fiberglass patch kits that you can buy at hardware stores are usable or would you recommend a dealer fix? The damage is very minor but it's upsetting because it's new so I want to patch it. It's really made me realize just how much bigger a fifth wheel is compared to my only prior trailer, a 24 foot Chateau travel trailer. I had never given any thought to the trees that line my street or to the angle I would need to get into the driveway. It may have been a blessing in disguise because I will be extra careful now. I was on my own at the time and I turned too sharply. But the good news is it's a beautiful home. We can't really believe how much room we have. The woodwork is excellent and overall, everything initially seems well put together and operational. I have several questions but I think I'll post them separately so I can flag them with anyone who wants to offer an opinion.

Wayne Morrison

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:16 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Wayne, I can not answer your question about the fiberglass kit but would like to say I am sorry about the damage to your new Montana. By the way congratulations and I hope that you can get it fixed soon.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Wayne, Sorry to hear about your initial mishap, but can tell from your post how excited you are about your new Montana. I am sure another member will pop in here and give you some advice on the fiberglass repair. Fortunately we have had our unit for a little over a year and no fiberglass damage yet. Good luck and may you have many happy miles in your new wheel estate.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:39 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sorry, Wayne, to hear of your mishap but at the same time I'm impressed you were open enough to 'fess up to it.

The rear cap is, I think, gelcoat, like on a fibreglass boat. So I would think a patch kit that would work in a marine setting would work for you, too. I have never done this kind of a repair but have heard it's very difficult to do it well enough the patch doesn't show. If you feel you can do it, I'd go for it. Otherwise I'd let a dealer do it. Just my opinion. Fortunately the cap is white so color matching might not be too difficult.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
Sorry to hear about your misshap. yes, there is a product you can use to repair the chip in the fiberglass. It is called jelcoat repair kit or jelcoat repair paste. I bought it at the local boat supply store. Works great and you well be able to match the color and it wet sands down to a perfect shine. The kit retails for around $16. Not proud to say i also had a mispap on my second trip with my 2004, 3655fl.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:32 AM   #6
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Sorry to hear of the mishap. I used a bit of light body filler and a spray can of white paint for a quick campground fix. Doesn't match exactly, but it got me home.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:30 AM   #7
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
So sorry about your mishap already but I'm sure you will get it fixed in no time. Just remember, when you think you have enough room, pull ahead just a little further, better to be safe than sorry.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Boy, I hate it when buildings and curbs jump out at ya! Everyone hates to have a boo-boo especially on a brand spanking new unit. If you are skilled at body repair, then go for it with one of the repair kits. However, if any doubt, take it to dealer and let the professional boo-boo doctors repair it. Then you will never have a visible reminder of your first scrape. Good luck and drive safely.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote