Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #41
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Early on with my 2008 3400RL , I did the reinforcement ,wet bolts , and X-factor all three areas . Never had a moments problem with suspension in over 12 years. I am sure IS is great ,but the leaf spring suspension can be made sound for a fraction of the cost of IS. Leaf spring suspension has been around a long time . To start even the shackle plates are nearly double the thickness on the wet bolt upgrade , X-factor takes out a lot of the side flex that gets hanger brackets etc etc .
Been there done all that before. Repalaced the entire suspension in 2016. New springs/ u-bolts/ wetbolt kit/ the hole 9 yards. All zerks were greased before EVERY trip. 8k miles later upon inspection of those removed parts at Mor ryde and the bronze bushings were worn in half again. Spring hole eyes worn. The IS is money WELL spent, and I dont worry about the suspension any more.

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #42
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
update, wet bolt finally arrived, took a look and it appears there is a gusset, pretty sloppy welding though....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gusset.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	7306  

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #43
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Been there done all that before. Repalaced the entire suspension in 2016. New springs/ u-bolts/ wetbolt kit/ the hole 9 yards. All zerks were greased before EVERY trip. 8k miles later upon inspection of those removed parts at Mor ryde and the bronze bushings were worn in half again. Spring hole eyes worn. The IS is money WELL spent, and I dont worry about the suspension any more.
Its crazy how things wear , that 2008 had lot of mile on it in those 12 years . Up into Canada , down south etc etc . About a year ago I took one apart could not get grease into it, not a sign of wear on bronze bushing nor any on the shackle plates . Only other thing I had to do in that 12 years was replace the shear springs , thats when I also replaced the position of the wet bolt to take grease.

IMO my 12 year experience trumps you 4 years Its either put together right ,and IMO everything was right ,and the wet bolts were greased properly the X-factor did its job, I checked tongue on everything ,especially the leaf spring bolts . etc etc. . And no I never worried about my suspension either, everything was done right, I know because I'm the one that did it. :thumbs:

I do understand the IS ,if someone has continually had problems ,but with four different fifth wheels ,and not single issue, other then shear springs ,and thats not an issue ,thats a wear item . Its a pretty tough sell for someone like me, thats not had problems ,and have taken care to not do so .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #44
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
update, wet bolt finally arrived, took a look and it appears there is a gusset, pretty sloppy welding though....

Sloppy welds are okay if that gusset is staying put. Pretty common on these fifth wheels ,sloppy welds.

I box in those two hanger plates , plus a gusset to the frame on them , thats a another common problem ,the poor welding ,and those hanger brackets breaking.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:23 PM   #45
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Its crazy how things wear , that 2008 had lot of mile on it in those 12 years . Up into Canada , down south etc etc . About a year ago I took one apart could not get grease into it, not a sign of wear on bronze bushing nor any on the shackle plates . Only other thing I had to do in that 12 years was replace the shear springs , thats when I also replaced the position of the wet bolt to take grease.

IMO my 12 year experience trumps you 4 years Its either put together right ,and IMO everything was right ,and the wet bolts were greased properly the X-factor did its job, I checked tongue on everything ,especially the leaf spring bolts . etc etc. . And no I never worried about my suspension either, everything was done right, I know because I'm the one that did it. :thumbs:

I do understand the IS ,if someone has continually had problems ,but with four different fifth wheels ,and not single issue, other then shear springs ,and thats not an issue ,thats a wear item . Its a pretty tough sell for someone like me, thats not had problems ,and have taken care to not do so .

Yeah I hear you. my only guess is were heavier than most. With the is on there now I'm just shy of 14k on the axles.

We are nearing retirement and I believe this camper will be the last one. Upgrading it to make it as good as possible is much cheaper and getting another one.

Besides I don't think I'd buy a newer one anyway all the issues reported on here about them.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #46
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
it appears I used the wrong wet bolt, it is larger diameter then the old ones, it went in easy enough. including bushing, i only noticed when checking the other nuts, they are a size smaller than the new nut. I cant imagine this being a problem, any feedback?

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #47
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
it appears I used the wrong wet bolt, it is larger diameter then the old ones, it went in easy enough. including bushing, i only noticed when checking the other nuts, they are a size smaller than the new nut. I cant imagine this being a problem, any feedback?
I can see the diameter of the bolt being correct since it went through the spring hangers and bushing smoothly. The size of the nut could be different regardless of bolt diameter. Probably no harm but just because I do things the way I do, I would install a matching bolt and save the odd size for a spare.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:59 PM   #48
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdgood1 View Post
I’m with Montana man, one breaks possible others are compromised. Check them all if possible..
The opposite side of the leaf was severely stressed. For safety replace all 8. Even if you replace them with standard grade 8 bolts. Do not go with a lesser grade.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. But the other ones will soon cry out for attention. Pound of prevention is worth preventing a migraine.

Safe travels and enjoy.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #49
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
The bolts supplied with the wet bolts have a knurled area next to the head. That keeps the bolt from turning with in the shackle and wearing them. I would use bolts supplied and a regular bolt as an emergency.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote