Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Roy & Georgia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27061
Motor cycle hauler

I have a 2015 mountaineer 375FLF and a 2005 Harley Ultra Classic that weighs in at just under 900 lbs that I would love to take along to places that do not allow duals. Any suggestions? How much weight can I put on the back of my 5th wheel?

Roy & Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I wouldn't put much of anything on the back end unless you have a welder install substantial bracing tied directly to the main frame beams. Even then it is a LOT of stress on the frame.

Might want to look into the HC380/381 as they are ideal for hauling motorcycles but not losing living space. It is a unique two story design (IE:basement garage). So unique we have a dedicated Facebook page.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
We've seen several of these while on the road. It's the route I would take.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You will need some sort of trailer. The frame can't take that much weight and bouncing. And you can't live on one of the coasts where it's illegal to tow another trailer behind.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
We've seen several of these while on the road. It's the route I would take.

Fairly sure they are going to consider this a trailer and as such you will not be able to use it in any state that does not allow double towing (Florida and most of the costal states).
Old 09-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I saw a DRV with a BMW on a lift on the back and ask the owner about it. He said his camper was equipped to carry that much weight but don’t try this on your camper.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Fairly sure they are going to consider this a trailer and as such you will not be able to use it in any state that does not allow double towing (Florida and most of the costal states).
Talked to a full timing couple at Nellis AFB last year that said they are not considered trailers (I've done no research).

Edit:

Just did some digging.

https://www.freedomhauler.com

Quote:
DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
An All-Steel Flatbed Carrier, the Freedom Hauler bolts to a special mounting bracket that is installed on your RV’s frame. Its 2-point connection makes it an extension of your vehicle that does not count as pulling doubles. The Optional Trailer Conversion Kit makes your Freedom Hauler a hybrid UTV trailer.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #8
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
I think they are considered dollys.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
They are considered dollys and not trailers. We have one and it has allowed us to haul our Spyder with us. Part of the standard installation includes beefing up the rear.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
Talked to a full timing couple at Nellis AFB last year that said they are not considered trailers (I've done no research).

Edit:

Just did some digging.

https://www.freedomhauler.com
Thats the manfactures word not the law. Only thing that really matters is what a Police officers impression is at the time of the stop. Something tells me that the law will eventually be clarified and these will be treated similar to towing doubles. For sure that is a LOT of stress on the back of a trailer frame and your going to have to do some serious reinforcement at a minimum.

But to each his own. I certainly understand the desire to bring the toys along with you. If it can be done safely then go for it.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #11
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
Once attached to the frame can this "dolly" be easily removed?
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:50 PM   #12
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Another thing to keep in mind is overall length. With my short bed crew cab and 3100rl (which Montana shows as just over 35 feet, but is actually over 37 ft) I’m already at about 54 feet. That just leaves 11 feet for the trailer or “dolly” In order to stay under most states 65 foot max length limit, and it looks like you need at least 2 feet between the rear of your trailer and the nose of the freedomhauler. Not much room left for cargo.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #13
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
In some states, an "extension" is not considered a trailer. It has to have 2-points of attachment to the parent vehicle, and wheels that pivot or swivel.

Here is one solution: http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel-eco

Another solution is obtain your CDL, and pull a conventional trailer behind your fiver.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #14
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
In some states, an "extension" is not considered a trailer. It has to have 2-points of attachment to the parent vehicle, and wheels that pivot or swivel.

Here is one solution: http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel-eco

Another solution is obtain your CDL, and pull a conventional trailer behind your fiver.
Our fiver came from the factory with a drop-down cargo rack. Don't have the manual handy, but I imagine as long as the load an extension puts on your bumper isn't any greater than the cargo rack max weight capacity, no frame modification would be needed.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:49 PM   #15
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Thats the manfactures word not the law. Only thing that really matters is what a Police officers impression is at the time of the stop. Something tells me that the law will eventually be clarified and these will be treated similar to towing doubles. For sure that is a LOT of stress on the back of a trailer frame and your going to have to do some serious reinforcement at a minimum.

But to each his own. I certainly understand the desire to bring the toys along with you. If it can be done safely then go for it.

Its the law. I did the research.

Just wanted to add in that if you don't own one you probably have no idea but the weight commonly expressed as the tongue weight is minimal. In my case the bike weight is centered over the axle. The two connection points to the frame have minimal weight on them. When the dolly was being installed we could lift hte front by hand with the bike on it.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:17 PM   #16
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
Its the law. I did the research.

Just wanted to add in that if you don't own one you probably have no idea but the weight commonly expressed as the tongue weight is minimal. In my case the bike weight is centered over the axle. The two connection points to the frame have minimal weight on them. When the dolly was being installed we could lift hte front by hand with the bike on it.
The first one I ever saw was in a campground in coastal NC. The sites were quite short so it was disconnected. It certainly didn't look like it put a lot of stress on the frame. I did not talk to the owner.

The owners I did talk to at Nellis AFB were were eager to give me all the details. They said their only issue was the extra length and care it took to get into some back in sites. Otherwise they loved it. They carried an Electra Glide on theirs.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #17
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
This is the BEST solution for a large bike!
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #18
Livingmybestlife

M.O.C. #26705
We have a Freedom Hauler and love it. It has an electronic loader for the bike IMG_7715

IMG_7715

If you have questions give my husband Shawn a call can I leave his number on here???
We have a 2017 Ultra Classic Limited
Livingmybestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #19
Livingmybestlife

M.O.C. #26705
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
You will need some sort of trailer. The frame can't take that much weight and bouncing. And you can't live on one of the coasts where it's illegal to tow another trailer behind.
There is hardly any weight and now bouncing with the fabulous engineering these guys have done on the Freedom Hauler.. And with its two point attachment directly to the frame with no articulation at the hitch, it is not considered a trailer so therefore it is only an extension of your existing RV. Works Awesome!! There isnt any change in the hitch pin weight on the truck either.
Livingmybestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #20
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Glad to see those with Freedom Haulers chiming in with really great information

https://www.freedomhauler.com/photo-gallery-1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C39F1FB-1241-4B57-BC35-017199154988.png
Views:	60
Size:	432.0 KB