Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Consumer Protection Agency

With all the problems posted on this web site, and others, about the RV quality, and lack of response from manufacturers, has anyone filed a complaint with the Consumer Protection Agency??. Every once in a while I see someone say something about filing a lawsuit, or a class action lawsuit. Who will be the first to file?? No one, because its on your dime! If people will start filing complaints with documentation to the agency, maybe we can get some help to make the manufacturer clean up their no quality control. After you file a complaint, follow up for some results. If they get enough complaints, and people follow up with them, maybe, jut maybe, they can force some change. THE AGENCY can file the lawsuits. This is from their web site:

What We Do
The FTC is a bipartisan federal agency with a unique dual mission to protect consumers and promote competition. For one hundred years, our collegial and consensus-driven agency has championed the interests of American consumers. As we begin our second century, the FTC is dedicated to advancing consumer interests while encouraging innovation and competition in our dynamic economy.

The FTC develops policy and research tools through hearings, workshops, and conferences. We collaborate with law enforcement partners across the country and around the world to advance our crucial consumer protection and competition missions. And beyond our borders, we cooperate with international agencies and organizations to protect consumers in the global marketplace.

PROTECTING CONSUMERS
The FTC protects consumers by stopping unfair, deceptive or fraudulent practices in the marketplace. We conduct investigations, sue companies and people that violate the law, develop rules to ensure a vibrant marketplace, and educate consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities. We collect complaints about hundreds of issues from data security and deceptive advertising to identity theft and Do Not Call violations, and make them available to law enforcement agencies worldwide for follow-up. Our experienced and motivated staff uses 21st century tools to anticipate – and respond to – changes in the marketplace.

PROMOTING COMPETITION
Competition in America is about price, selection, and service. It benefits consumers by keeping prices low and the quality and choice of goods and services high. By enforcing antitrust laws, the FTC helps ensure that our markets are open and free. The FTC will challenge anticompetitive mergers and business practices that could harm consumers by resulting in higher prices, lower quality, fewer choices, or reduced rates of innovation. We monitor business practices, review potential mergers, and challenge them when appropriate to ensure that the market works according to consumer preferences, not illegal practices.omplaint with the consumer protection agency??. I see every once in a while someone talking about needing to file a lawsuit yada, yada, yada. Who’s going to be first to file? Well, we have a government agency who can do it for us if we just start filing complaints with back up evidence. If this agency gets flooded with complaints and people follow up for results, maybe something happens. This is off their web site, FYI:

Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The problem I see with this is that you can’t simply say “Your quality is poor. Clean up your act”. I think it would take lengthy, detailed, documented, and substantiated reports of problems that occur regularly across all manufacturers. Without specific details of the problem areas there is no case. And what some manufacturers do poorly others may do well. And vice verse. And that just compounds the problem of specifics. The idea is great. Implementation is another matter, and would require a significant outlay in time and money by someone.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Don't hold your breath. The guberment did nothing about the Chinese drywall scandal.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_drywall

There are a couple of neighborhoods in Chesapeake Va that have been abandoned due to this. The guberment did nothing for these homeowners. They had to get lawyers and file class action suits themselves.

I believe there are 7 guberment agencies responsible for consumer protection. Each said not my job and pointed fingers.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I understand the frustration and the passion for a solution from those who are having issues. Until someone knows the number of significant problems versus the number of units produced I don't think you will get far with the CPA or a class action.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:11 AM   #5
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
IMHO - it sucks if you get the lemon. Lemon owners are most vocal. As a percentage, the lemons are a minor percentage. And if you bought from the right dealer, the issues are minimized.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
IMHO - it sucks if you get the lemon. Lemon owners are most vocal. As a percentage, the lemons are a minor percentage. And if you bought from the right dealer, the issues are minimized.
Yea, it sucks if you have a lemon. Problem is there are to many lemons. I doubt they are a minor percentage. Dealers are booked out for weeks trying to fix all the screw ups from no QA at the manufacturer. Its very obvious the manufacturers do everything to screw the owners if they can get away with it. Some units are worse than others, but even the dealer I use admits they end up taking the wrath from owners for extremely poor quality control from the manufacturers, and it’s getting worse, not better. My dealer has resorted to having all their units inspected and repaired by the factory before they take delivery. They have 16 units that have been sent back to the factory in the last 2 weeks. Doesn’t sound like a minority to me.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote