Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Leveling

What is the threshold everyone uses to determine whether you should put your tires on blocks or use a system like the Anderson leveling chocks before you hit auto level on your rig? The system will tell you how many degrees there is front to back and side to side before you try and level it. Just wondering what other folks are doing.

Lakelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I have not had a problem with any site so far. I generally just eye-ball the situation. I was just thinking about it after I read your post, and probably the worst case site for me was at a place near Pawhuska OK (where The Pioneer Woman from Food Network is headquartered)...sloping front to back and side to side. I added some blocks under the leveler feet here and there - and the system did it's job. It was not perfectly level but it was close enough for two nights.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have been in situations where I've had to manually level with the hydraulics due to the side slope, ending up with tires off the ground on one side and have never had a problem with that. Most of the time, just get into the site, drop the front jacks, get the truck disconnected and moved away, and hit the auto level button and we are done. I have never had to park one side on blocks, but do put blocks under some of the jacks to reduce how far they are extended.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We have a favorite State Park on Lake Ontario that has some much back to front slope I have to put down 4 to 6 inches of blocks under the front jacks to prevent the "Out of Stroke" error when leveling.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have learned with my Lippert 6 point level-up to get the trailer as near level manually as possible before using the auto level system. That means I still use a carpenter's square for front to back and I have a bubble level attached to my trailer hitch king pin for side to side. I also put blocks under the jacks themselves, as high as they need to go, depending on the slope of the campsite in order to keep them from going out of stroke from over-extending. After about the 3rd time of it stroking-out and getting error codes and having to finish setting up by using a carpenter's square anyway, because I could not get rid of the error, I learned the trick, and I've never had a problem again.

So, just like with all my prior travel trailers that were set up with boards under the tires, and using the carpenter's square to find level, I still do the same with the 5er. I do have the assurance though, that, if it's not perfectly level, when I hit the auto level, it will be, and not have to fret over an out-of-stroke error again.

My 5er is not very forgiving here. But I've learned what it takes by trail and error and now have no problems setting up anywhere. I know the maximum length each jack leg can extend now, and I make sure I've built up blocks to at least that height. Side-to-side, I still put boards under the low side tires. It works for me.

This was one such campsite last Summer where I lost the stroke on the rear and couldn't get it reset. I manually got it as close to level as I could. This one one of those learning curves:

Here's another time it happened last Summer:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
the electric jacks on a MHC want to move at least 6 inches and no more than 11. You should be pre-levelign to that.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:12 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
the electric jacks on a MHC want to move at least 6 inches and no more than 11. You should be pre-levelign to that.
Yes, you are correct. That's sounds about right for mine too.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote