Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #21
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
Had to replace the inverter on mine. I plugged a battery charger for 20 volt power tools in and it worked After some trouble shooting I then plugged in a hair dryer and it would come on then off about 3 times then would shut off Replaced inverter and it now works great.i guess it was putting out some power but not enough to run hair dryer or refer.

Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #22
John McLean
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23622
They are not cheap if I went back with the same inverter. Price goes up considerable from the one Keystone installed.
John McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:26 PM   #23
mlucagilbert

M.O.C. #30612
I am currently having exactly this problem with my 2022 Montana HC, which we drove off the lot three weeks ago. We had to leave overnight without warning and the fridge drained both batteries completely. When we got back, I was able to secure the pigtails we needed to connect to our building power, including a surge suppressor, and we hooked up and everything worked fine. I disconnected and hit the road two days ago. Our first stop did not have a power option. The batteries are fulling charged, all DC devices work just fine, but the inverter outlets (including the fridge) are dead. The odd thing is that the remote display panel on the CSW inverter has power and shows full batteries, but nothing is going to the inverted outlets, which were fine before we drained the batteries. The battery disconnect is on and working because, when I turn it off, the CSW display panel loses power.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find a warranty-certified shop that can take us before April and most are saying they cannot get a replacement for the inverter (if it is indeed bad) for 2-6 months. We're having to redo our entire itinerary so we do not have any powerless stops. It's a bit of a pain.
mlucagilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:00 PM   #24
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Check the battery cut off switch
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:03 PM   #25
mlucagilbert

M.O.C. #30612
Ed -

If the battery cut-off switch had malfunctioned, wouldn't that mean the inverter is getting no power at all - so the remote display would also be dark?

And wouldn't it also kill all of the DC-powered lights?

I'm new to all of this, so I may have all of that wrong.
mlucagilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:37 AM   #26
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I know I'm late to the party, but the inverter on our 2019 was bad when we did our PDI also. It was replaced under warranty. Ours is the Magnum Dimensions CSW1012.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:34 AM   #27
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Some Magnum inverter models (including the unit that came on our 3121RL Legacy) have an ignition trigger wire which needs 12v for inverter to run. However, the inside panel will still light up from the 12v feed direct from battery to inverter. In my rig, if shorepower was disconnected and battery disconnect to coach (inverter battery switch still "on") my inverter would not work and inside panel would be on. Turned "battery disconnect" (my least fa'orite term) switch to on and the inverter works. The ignition wire on our 2k watt Magnum was a single orange/white wire.

PS - no longer have the OEM inverter - went 3k Victron.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote