Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Montana_3921

M.O.C. #3921
hot water trouble?

Hello everyone I have a question about my suburban model sw10de hot water heater. I ran out of propane completely and after refilling the tanks and re-igniting the furnace i tried to re-start the hot water heater,with the on/off switch after many unsuccesfull attempts
I tried resetting the breaker ,checked the fuses the reset buttons on the outside by the on/off switch were not tripped. Next I checked the main lp line going into the regulator? there is lp gas but it wont travel thru the gas valve. any help will be greatly appreciated.
I am quite a distance from any service centers.

thank you,

Montana_3921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
The outside switch is the on and off switch when you are hooked up to power. The on/off switch for the heater when on propane is inside the unit on the panel with the pump switch and the fresh water/waste water indicators. It will turn red when on.
Light the stove first to ensure you are getting propane inside the unit and get rid of any air.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Steve-
Is your unit new? Sounds like the same problem I had the first time out. I ran out of propane during the night and the bottles failed to switch. Same as you, propane up to the regulator, not going through, replaced the regulator and all was well after that. I was several miles from a Montana dealer but bought the regulator at another RV dealer. Have submitted the cost to Keystone for replacement, but not yet resolved.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
Montana_3921

M.O.C. #3921
Thank you very much I will give that a try I was hoping it was something simple.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Ann

The outside switch is the on and off switch when you are hooked up to power. The on/off switch for the heater when on propane is inside the unit on the panel with the pump switch and the fresh water/waste water indicators. It will turn red when on.
Light the stove first to ensure you are getting propane inside the unit and get rid of any air.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #5
Montana_3921

M.O.C. #3921
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Steve-
Is your unit new? Sounds like the same problem I had the first time out. I ran out of propane during the night and the bottles failed to switch. Same as you, propane up to the regulator, not going through, replaced the regulator and all was well after that. I was several miles from a Montana dealer but bought the regulator at another RV dealer. Have submitted the cost to Keystone for replacement, but not yet resolved.
Thanks for the advice I was unaware the master switch by the sink was the way to start the propane igniter. I just bought the
trailer used a 2003 3655fl I love it.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It might be the regulator as Charlie mentioned. Another possibility, sometimes if you open the propane valve on the bottle too quickly it will lock up the protection device because the sudden rush of propane makes it think there's a leak or ruptured hose. I'm not sure how to unlock the device so if you don't find the problem somewhere else post back and maybe somone here can help with that. I think someone said to close the valve and tap the bottle a few times with a wrench or hammer (just tap, don't bang on it), then open the valve slowly. Maybe someone else can provide the method to do this for sure.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote