Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
DMV License and weight taxes...

My renewal notice for my 2014 F450 came today. Year flys by when your having fun! The nice folks at the California DMV give you nearly three months to prepare for paying. My bill including weight fee's was about $1350.00. The "disability weight fee waiver" was disallowed. The new guidelines have my truck hauling capability and weight stats over the waiver limit. I spent twenty minutes at CHP office to no avail! DMV officer was very nice, but the legislators have not recognized our Pick-up trucks as recreational vehicles. It's not just based on trucks weight. It's also based on hauling capabilities. All of our Duallys, if you follow the rule of law, have "competed themselves" into additional taxes for owners. Oh those who think the F350 will save you, it will not. I guess you could lie on your renewal, but that is not worth the risk. I got one ticket for passing a weigh station, while not towing... Not willing to get a weight ticket.

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Hey Artemus...

Wow, that's pretty spendy. Time to relocate!
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Yes, time to relocate. Statistics are showing that the high cost of everything is causing a mass exodus from California.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:07 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks! You made my morning. Now I don't feel quite as bad about how much Kansas likes my truck.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:10 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Ouch,
I just got an F450 in Arizona and have to go get it registered in California. Thanks for the heads up.

What kind of ticket did you get? In California? All the weigh stations say "no pickups" so I'm curious!

Thanks
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:28 AM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Wow!!!!! Ok I will stop complaining about my $73 Texas registration. And if I ever get to Caif. I'll most likely get a ticket too since I would refuse to pull into a weight station. It's just the principal of the thing. Then I'll probably get tossed in jail cause I'll most likely go off on the judge lol lol lol..... Whoaa wait, my luck I'll get tossed in a cell with some guy named Big Johnson who wears makeup, and that's his nickname.. lol lol....Ok Ok Maybe I'll have to rethink this stopping stuff lol lol......But I do feel for ya and that kind of highway robbery...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I would be shocked to hear that any state wants registered RV's to pull into a weigh station.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #8
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

Ouch,
I just got an F450 in Arizona and have to go get it registered in California. Thanks for the heads up.

What kind of ticket did you get? In California? All the weigh stations say "no pickups" so I'm curious!

Thanks
Law exempts vehicles like our trucks from stopping if you are towing an RV not for hire. The weight of the truck requires you to stop if not towing. They often wave me through but we are not considered as Pickups! You must also have CA numbers posted, application at CHP offices. I have permit but never stuck numbers on truck. Cottonwood Ca weigh station got me. Never stop in other states. Just at home.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #9
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

Wow!!!!! Ok I will stop complaining about my $73 Texas registration. And if I ever get to Caif. I'll most likely get a ticket too since I would refuse to pull into a weight station. It's just the principal of the thing. Then I'll probably get tossed in jail cause I'll most likely go off on the judge lol lol lol..... Whoaa wait, my luck I'll get tossed in a cell with some guy named Big Johnson who wears makeup, and that's his nickname.. lol lol....Ok Ok Maybe I'll have to rethink this stopping stuff lol lol......But I do feel for ya and that kind of highway robbery...
Hey I will visit you in jail! What kind of cake do you like? Lol
Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

The kind with a file in it?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
steelpony.... that was disgusting and I'm not talking about your rant, I'm referring to the $73 registration fee in Texas. Is that your truck fee renewal? My Mom's 1995 Toyota Tercel (almost fits in my truck bed) costs that much to register in California just last year even after 18 years. My mom just got the new fee notice but I don't know what it is yet. It's disgusting that California is so high.

In California, the fees are based on the price of the vehicle when it's sold, then they tack on some other additional amount for a weight fee for trucks. That's why when I upgraded my F-250 to the F-350 rear end, I did NOT want to recertify and get a new VIN because the VIN reflects the weight class and it would have been higher. This year, the weight fee for my 2006 F-250 was $204 just for the weight fee. I think I paid $364 overall (the weight fee was more than half the bill). Note I have a 2006 and originally paid lots more when the truck was new. While the fee does drop over time, in California, the starting point is ridiculously high.

I'm curious if Artemus Gordon is complaining about his renewal at $1350, that he must have paid more when he bought the thing. I won't be nosey enough to ask, but it was even higher. So many just don't care to remember this since the price of the vehicle was even higher. The bad news is don't expect those fees to be used, as intended on California roads, cuz it sure seems like it isn't. I just drove yesterday northbound on State Route 99 from Bakersfield to Sacramento and while there is still lots of road construction, it's barely improved from the last time I drove it in October, 2012, about 17 months ago!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #12
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:

The kind with a file in it?
I was fined nearly $450.00 on my previous F450. Not stopping, no CA numbers, no permit. Adds up quick. I paid lawyer $1500.00 to lose the case for me. Yes a very expensive exercise in futility! I almost forgot, I did not have trailer enforcement on my license. No fine for that, but since I used trailer towing as my excuse, the judge asked where my enforcement was listed on drivers license. I took that stupid test and got my enforcement. Many people don't even know about that little pearl! Lol. To answer question the original fees when purchased were more than renewal! I guess when you want to urniate in the tall grass with big dogs, you must pay. I did not even get "flowers made on me"! (Sorry True Detective reference)!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #13
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
This post certainly takes the sting out of what I get from "Massataxes". Because my truck has a GVW over 10,000, I am required to register as a commercial vehicle, which is an annual $240. I've never earned a dime driving this truck around. No matter. A regular passenger vehicle registration is $60 every 2 years. So, I guess I'll stop complaining (as much, anyway).

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #14
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Artemus Gordon,

You have opened up a can of worms and given me a heads up to avoid these problems! In looking through the MCP permit regulations, I found the following exclusion:

(G) Motor trucks or two-axle truck tractors, with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds, when used solely to tow a camp trailer, trailer coach, fifth-wheel travel trailer, or utility trailer. Vehicle combinations described in this subparagraph are not subject to Section 27900, 34501.12, or 34507.5.

I guess the big variable is "solely".

Both my wife and I have the California endorsement, restriction 41, which allows towing a 5th wheel between 10,001 and 15,000 GVWR. Problem is that the rig is over 15,000 GVWR so we need a non-comml class A.

So, I'm unclear if I need the MCP permit if I unhook and driving around town. The sole purpose of the truck is to tow the RV but it clearly does not tow all the time. I can't wait to ask at the dmv. When we went into take the test for the endorsement 41, they had no idea what it was. The supervisor had to go look it up and then find the test!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Yes the recreational enforcement is a joke! Here is link to DMV. There is a subsection that exempts a driver using his truck and towing his personal RV. That is not listed in this section. You are correct our trucks are registered as commercial and in my case and yours the GVWR over 11,500, and unladen weight of 8,001,puts us outside pickup status. (CVC 471) Note: it's a misdemeanor if you willfully refuse to stop! I will try to post RV towing exemption: If can find it again. Note that not all CHP officers enforce it, but all it takes is one!

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/en...s/stopping.htm
Old 03-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #16
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Yea, I read that too. I started researching the MCP permit and found the following:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/publications/pdf/chp800e.pdf

See where it is not considered a commercial vehicle for permit purposes at the bottom of the 1st page
Old 03-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:

...the judge asked where my enforcement was listed on drivers license. I took that stupid test and got my enforcement. ...
Artemus: Well I hate to burst your bubble, but there is more bad news. Your 3750 has a GVWR of 15,770 lbs. The DMV requires a "Non-Commercial Class A" license for anyone towing a 5th wheel greater than 15,000 lbs. It doesn't matter what the vehicle actually weighs, the GVWR (listed on the DOT weigh sticker pasted on the drivers side by the propane locker) is the determining value. The "Endorsement 41" is only valid for 5th wheels from 10,001 to 15,000 lbs.

The test for the "Non-Commercial Class A" include the same written test you took for the "Endorsement 41" *PLUS* a Medical evaluation (which you can fill out rather than having a doctor do it as required for a full commercial Class A license), *AND* a driving test. The driving test is pretty easy (back up for some distance, back the RV into a "campsite", and drive around a corner without hitting the curb) that you should be able to handle easily. The trick is you have to go through a pre-trip checklist (described in the booklet) and point out each and ever thing required. You do not want to omit something.

One other tip, you will need someone with a correct (or better) license drive your truck and rig to the DMV for the driving test. They will ask how you got the rig there and you don't want to say you drove it without the proper license.

I had a long chat with the CHP guys at the recent RV Show at Cal Expo. They said they don't check any of this license stuff unless you are in an accident or doing something really stupid. They thought the DMV rules are out of date, and crazy but they can't change them.

Good luck!!!!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #18
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Dumb question so will accept dumb answer. What about vehicles not registered in California, do they stop?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #19
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

Yea, I read that too. I started researching the MCP permit and found the following:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/publications/pdf/chp800e.pdf

See where it is not considered a commercial vehicle for permit purposes at the bottom of the 1st page
Section V Code 34601 (2) (G) is what I was looking for inre: towing Fiver! Note: CHP told me "as long as hooked up to RV"! Go for gas or get caught hauling firewood your going to be cited! It sucks, but information is key to wining this argument. Therefore I am always searching for diesel! Lol. Really never intended to start this discussion, I just wanted to be comforted by my fellow MOC pals!! Lol
Old 03-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #20
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Quote:

...the judge asked where my enforcement was listed on drivers license. I took that stupid test and got my enforcement. ...
Artemus: Well I hate to burst your bubble, but there is more bad news. Your 3750 has a GVWR of 15,770 lbs. The DMV requires a "Non-Commercial Class A" license for anyone towing a 5th wheel greater than 15,000 lbs. It doesn't matter what the vehicle actually weighs, the GVWR (listed on the DOT weigh sticker pasted on the drivers side by the propane locker) is the determining value. The "Endorsement 41" is only valid for 5th wheels from 10,001 to 15,000 lbs.

The test for the "Non-Commercial Class A" include the same written test you took for the "Endorsement 41" *PLUS* a Medical evaluation (which you can fill out rather than having a doctor do it as required for a full commercial Class A license), *AND* a driving test. The driving test is pretty easy (back up for some distance, back the RV into a "campsite", and drive around a corner without hitting the curb) that you should be able to handle easily. The trick is you have to go through a pre-trip checklist (described in the booklet) and point out each and ever thing required. You do not want to omit something.

One other tip, you will need someone with a correct (or better) license drive your truck and rig to the DMV for the driving test. They will ask how you got the rig there and you don't want to say you drove it without the proper license.

I had a long chat with the CHP guys at the recent RV Show at Cal Expo. They said they don't check any of this license stuff unless you are in an accident or doing something really stupid. They thought the DMV rules are out of date, and crazy but they can't change them.

Good luck!!!!
You are correct! Just shoot me now!..... Lol