Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Supports under slides

Is it necessary to add supports under slides when they are extended? Obviously I am new to this lifestyle. I have not seen any, just wondering...Thanks for help....

Frozen Phil in the Frigid North.....

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Phil,

I remember seeing those at camping world years ago - not sure you need them on the Montana/Lippert slides. I think they are more for the TT with the crank out slides that aren't very sturdy. I actually looked at a TT that had bars you had to extend INSIDE between the slide and the wall to hold the slide closed.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
No need for slide supports, I leave my slides out for 6 months a year. I cycle them open and closed once or twice every two weeks to keep things lubricated and operating properly.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
I have a set, and I use them if we are set up for several days and expect lots of company in the unit. But I actually don't think they are needed (hmmm, an opportunity to leave some weight at home???!!!)
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Using supports under the slides is a big no no. Keystone does not recommend them even for TTs.
Over extended periods the tires may deflate or the ground will settle from the weight. Unless this settling is equal under each support the jacks can cause twisting of the slide mechanism.

Hopefully Dale (MIMF) will appear and give us Lippert's thoughts.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:07 AM   #6
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Reading through my paperwork I got with the new Monty they state do not use slide supports. Good enough for me......
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:23 AM   #7
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have to put at the least two inches of boards on my slide side when I park my 04 Mountaineer. If I do not do this the living room slideout will cause the 5vr to be high on the enterance door side. I have had the enterance door open a little and when I put the living room slide out the entrance door will close. We do a floor level check and it shows we are off without the boards. We do not like to sleep with our heads down hill.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Interesting point old turbo...I can see this turning into another 'how do you level' thread. I have a large living /dining slide and it moves mine about 1/2" out of level. Since you are only supposed to 'snug' the stabilizing jacks, your approach looks like a good way to go.

BTW - I used to put jacks under the slides to compensate for this, but discontinued after seeing so many seasonal rigs parked without them.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:40 AM   #9
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Oh, joy!! A chance to dabble in the minutia!! How to level!!

First, everything I can find says "DON'T" put supports under the slides. Visualize the effect if a tire goes flat on that side while the supports are in.

We noticed the difference in "level"' with slides in vs slides out. So, when we installed it, we set our external bubble level (our reference point) to show level with slides out. With this, when we travel down the highway the bubble level may indicate that we are 1/2 or so inch out of level, side to side.

If your leveling reference is already "set" for dead level with the slides in, just take the known change in mind when setting up with slides in. Supports can cause LOTS of harm, no significant "good".

JMHO
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:07 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
By no means should you use stabilizing elements of any kind under the slideouts. You can create damage to the mechanism if for some reason their would be some settling of the rig on the wheels on that side. This would produce unwanted upward force on the slideout. Not only that, there would be the possibility of leakage at the top since the seal would not be completely closed at the top.

I don't believe you will ever see any "fulltimers" with supports under the slides. Well then, why does CW sell them? Because people, unknowingly will buy them. CW will sell whatever the public will buy.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:08 AM   #11
emurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #6507
I have a set of stabilizer jack for the slides. I bought them because it seemed like a good at the time. After reading all the responses in this forum and consulting owners information, I won't be using them any more. After thinking about it, they can cause more stress on the slide mechanism than not using them. Also the stress would be in the direction the mechanism is not designed to handle (UP). I spoke with my dealer and they said that, in 7 years of selling Keystone products, they have never had a slide mechanism failure due the sides being left out for extended periods of time.
emurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Our slides are out for 6 to 7 months at a time while we are in Florida and after 3 years we have had no, none, zero, zilch. nada problems.

olds1932, Well then, why does CW sell them? For the same reason they sell many of their products. Your money filling their pockets.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

olds1932, Well then, why does CW sell them? For the same reason they sell many of their products. Your money filling their pockets.
Glenn, that's exactly what I said, I believe. Anyone will sell you anything that you will buy.

Orv
Old 11-28-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
From page 50 of the owner's manual:

"During extended travel stays, move the room in and out once or twice a week to help keep the seals and internal moving parts lubricated. During long term storage periods, it is advised to have the room retracted." Says the same thing about storage in the Lippert Service Manual.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #15
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
If I could twist this thread a little, should I run my slides in and out once a week while not in use until I am back on board in March?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:14 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, that about covers it. Thanks again for the outstanding support.

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:38 AM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

If I could twist this thread a little, should I run my slides in and out once a week while not in use until I am back on board in March?
I have found no need to do that. Even when we are parked for three months with the advance staff for the Escapees RV Club Spring Escapade. I guess if it is necessary, I should receive 30 lashes with a wet noodle.

Orv
Old 11-29-2006, 05:23 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Keystone's position is that you do NOT put supports under the slides. For a year or so the manuals did say to use supports but when that was pointed out to Keystone they took that statement out, according to a rep at the factory.

The problem is the stress the supports would put on the slide's framework and hardware should a tire go flat or the rig just settle on the wheels and stabilizers (that does happen). The slides do not need supports. They are plenty strong.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:45 AM   #19
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
At our seasonal site we extend the slides out May 1 of every year during placement/setup and they stay out till Sept 30 without ever running them in and out. Been doing this for four years and have yet to encounter a slideout problem of any kind.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #20
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
The slides in and out every couple of weeks or so is one of those things that probably help keeping seals flexible and helps prevent corrosion, esp on the hydraulic arms and slide gearing. Just like a car, plane or boat, if you don't use a particular system, it probalby will go "downhill" lots faster.

We had a saying in the airplane business, "NEVER move a rusty switch" So, don't let things get "rusty"...LOL
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote