Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
JLorne
Established Member

M.O.C. #21760
Question Plugged in but battery not charging.

I have had my trailer in front of my house for about a week. I have it plugged in going from the 50amp reduced to 30amp reduced again to 110. So basically I ran an extension cord from my garage and using adapters I plugged it in. I needed minimal electric, mainly just lights.

After a few days all the ceiling lights, awnings and slides have no power. However the ceiling fan, tv, microwave and a few other things do have power. No breakers or fuses tripped. I just assumed that being plugged in, even to 110 would charge the battery.

Why are half the electronics working and the other half not? Will plugging it in this way not charge the battery? Must it be plugged into 30 amp or 50 amp to charge the battery?

So now, I have it cleaned up ready for a Mother’s Day trip and the slides are stuck open. Will I have to remove the batteries and bring them in and charge them?

Just for my general education, why is this happening? Are there somehow two circuits? One is running off battery and one off the 110?

Thanks for your help!

JLorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There definitely are two electrical systems. One is for the 120V system (ceiling fan, microwave, TV, Stereo, etc) and the other is for the the 12V system (lights, bathroom fan, heater, slide motors). The battery is charged via the 12V system.

You appear to have 120V working. But the 12V system is not. The converter is fed by the 120V system and produces 12V to charge the battery and run the other 12V devices. It sounds like the converter is not producing 12V as the battery is dead plus the lights don't work. There is enough output from the converter to run most of the 12V equipment (not the slides though).

I would start at the converter and make sure it is on and producing 12V out the backside. The are 12V reverse polarity fuses in the converter which blow if someone hooks up the batteries backwards. Has anyone played with the battery recently?

There is a 12V disconnect switch in the convenience center which disables 12V from the converter to battery and most 12V devices. But when connected to shore power the converter will power the lights and such (but not the battery).

Ensure the disconnect key is in the position where it can't be removed (that is ON and the normal position).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
JLorne
Established Member

M.O.C. #21760
That makes complete sense, thank you for the information. You got me! I swapped out the marine battery it came with for two 100ah off-grid solar batteries hooked up parallel. I knew it was too easy! I guess it worked until the batteries eventually died since they weren’t being charged (I didn’t hook it up backwards at any time but I might have done something to blow a fuse while fiddling with it). Where would I find the inverter and the fuses I need to check, is it mounted up above the battery in the generator compartment? (I don’t have a generator so the batteries and hydraulic system is all that’s in there).

I may have just answered my own question after thinking about. Is the converter in the fuse box? There is a green light on below the reverse polarity fuses. The fuses are yellow right? Should the light be on or off below them, or do I just need to pull them and check them?
Old 04-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I think (not sure) you have the Progressive Dynamics power panels. The converter (you don't have an inverter) is part of it. Open the door and the manual (to verify what I say) in your Montana package. I seem to recall there are 4 fuses and they are there in the front side of the converter. Make sure the battery is connected correctly before attempting repair.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
JLorne
Established Member

M.O.C. #21760
Thumbs up

The batteries are hooked up right. But I posted a picture to verify out of an abundance of caution.

You were spot on for the converter. The green light was blinking and the 4x25 amp fuses were blown.

Do you ever use the “wizard” button. I’ve never messed with it and I’m not sure the purpose of it, is it to charge the battery faster?

And how do I keep some of my photos from posting sideways? Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E32FDF7-A9D7-4F2E-A638-D8A7B3880A51.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	3620   Click image for larger version

Name:	17867230-B0A0-4B72-8B6B-CA50EF384174.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	3621  
Old 05-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLorne View Post

Do you ever use the “wizard” button. I’ve never messed with it and I’m not sure the purpose of it, is it to charge the battery faster?
The "Wizard" is the 4 stage charging system. It determines what rate of charge is needed. The light blinks according to the rate of charge. You can override the rate of charge with the button but in 8 years I have never see the need to do so.

Quote:
And how do I keep some of my photos from posting sideways? Lol
There is another Thread about this "feature". Take a look at the Thread and let us know if you need more.

Tags
battery, charging problem, electrical