Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Dental Care and VA

I am a 100% disabled vet, well lets say 100% unemployable which is one in the same. I am currently here in FL and my records and perscriptions come out of MI. I have a problem with a tooth the dentist here said it would cost up to as much as $840.00 to pull. Its close to the sinus cavity so they may have to patch that area so they claim.

How do I go about doing this when I am not near my home location? Do I just go to urgent care and go from there? I'm lost and on an antibiotic for a week, would like to get this addressed thru the VA.

I have never used the VA for anything more than perscriptions. I have had dental ins. thru my old employer but that ended Jan 1st.

Any help here would be great appreciated!

Thanks
Dave

Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I've dealt with the VA on numerous occasions. If I was in your position, I'd pay the $840.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Although I use the V.A. for some services, I had a consult with the person who educates us vets about the services available- I was told that I am on a national database and could avail myself of services anywhere in the system- I would go to a V.A. hospital, not a clinic, to inquire how to get served- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I am 100% unemployable and live in northern Wisconsin. I am presently going through the dental thing at the Iron Mountain Michigan VA Hosp. This dental clinic is staffed by young very professional dentists and they have state of the art equipment. Better in fact than the local tooth pullers and drillers. Find the nearest VA hospital and go there. It may take a week but they will either get you in or will arrange for a local dentist that does dental work for the VA. They did that for me two months ago when I broke a tooth. For me the dental care has been outstanding and it cost nothing. Contact the nearest VA hosp to you and they should be able to help...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Exnavydiver x 2. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
I'm from MT. While we go to AZ for most winters I went to the local VC clinic here in AZ and got registered with them. Had a problem last year and they took me right in, no problem

x's 3 above
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
4 X's on that! I'm from Omaha and they do all that has been said above!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
X5 just came home from the VA hospital here in Portland, very comfortable with their services
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Champ, go to the nearest VA hospital. Best health care ever. Thanks for your service.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Called them yesterday and they said just come in and get registered and there dental dept. takes emergency service every day. Taking antibiotics now, so will finish that then head to the VA and let them do there thing as there is nothing they can do till I get rid of the infection. Hopefully I can set up appts. to get all my teeth taken care of while I am here in FL.

Thanks everyone, and will let you know my experience with them when I go there.

Thanks again
Dave
Old 01-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #11
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
I think us 100% need to share information - good job everyone

the VA hospital is the only place as they won't pay for outside dental unless they refer it out

Mike
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
As a non-veteran and hearing complaints about the VA, there are plenty of stories of successes. I certainly don't mind paying the huge taxes I've paid in the past knowing that the dollars went to a Veteran's care.

If you are a Veteran and you use this system, just know guys like me that have to pay huge sums of money (agghhh) to get the screwball service I get from the private sector (yup, the private sector sucks, too). At least you have the option of free service that might save some of your dollars getting it no matter the reason. Why pay for a miserable time if you can get it free? HUH? Well, you know what I mean.

I have a neighbor who is a veteran and is struggling with MS - losing mobility and sight. The VA is bending over backwards trying to help him out. He used to belly ache all the time about them until he found out what it would have cost him if he had to use my route. Right now he is staying at a VA to get trained on how to be blind. It's weeks of inpatient training where he stays at the facility (he's been there 3 weeks and they expect another 6 to 9 weeks). I couldn't afford that and he's getting this for free - God Bless him that he served (in Nam, no less) and he's getting this. I'm proud to have paid my taxes as a small contribution towards his comfort and he knows this. It sure has calmed him down a bunch knowing he's got it better than many.

Champ49, I'm looking forward to some good news in your case. And I hope it costs you nothing but time. When you don't like the way things are going for you, just keep me in mind and that I'm paying a lot more than you ever should. Hopefully, this will help you deal with it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It wasn't free, he paid the bill in 'Nam
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
tomd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5075
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Well put Ozz. Thanks to all veterans. They deserve quality health care.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #15
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Thanks everyone, once again the MOC comes to the rescue. Now its to the dentist next week, which I might add is NOT the thing I like at all!!! LOL
Old 01-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You got that wright Ozz. Over 50,000 paid the ultimate price.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tomd

Quote:

Well put Ozz. Thanks to all veterans. They deserve quality health care.
Actually, they don't. The VA is designed to treat military connected injuries, however, in our PC world, it has expanded to everybody that was on active duty. IMHO, like many gov't agencies, they are empire building.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Your health care depends on your level of disability, Dave's is 100% mine is 10%, big difference in what is covered.
I see that as military connected, but you are entitled to your opinion.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
I am very fortunate to have the help from the VA. Yes I paid the price in Nam, but the way I look at it is that I made it home and led a great life. Thats more than I can say for 58,000 plus that gave the ultimate price and the how many thousands that are still paying the price. I have my problems but they are minor in comparison to others. As Ozz says, the difference in 10% and 100% are a huge difference. Why it is I have no clue. Wish it could get changed and maybe someday it will.

The VA is doing the best they can and I hear a lot of positive out of them. They seem to be more prepared now than ever before, but there is still a long ways to go.

I'm just rambling now, but just wanted to say thank you VA for your assistance. I appreciate it greatly!!!

On edit, I want to thank us tax payers also as they are the backbone of this VA.

Dave
Old 01-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #20
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:

HOOAH!!!!!!!!!! I'm 220% dissabled by VA standards. Although you can only draw 100%. About 10 years ago, my DW and I both had the big "C". Both had extended stays in Hosp. with major surgeries. Even with State employ Ins. , our savings went away in a hurry. I was one of those who resisted going to the VA because I had heard the horror stories and had heard some of my "friends and neighbors" make comments about those who used the VA services. Then a real friend, a retired Lt. Gen. called me aside and said, " our parents and fore fathers who served in terrible wars are the ones who put the VA in place. If you don't accept what they have done for you , you might as well urinate on their graves". Needless to say it changed my perspective. The VA has saved my actual life as well as my financial life. For that I am extremely grateful. I am also extremely grateful that our nation has stepped up for the long haul for our current vets. If our nation, that practices war mostly for financial gain, wants to continue to send our warriors into places that can get them killed, or maimed for life, both physically and mentally, the very least we can do is stand with them in their medical and psycological needs. After all, they are asked to do unspeakable things for us. Proud to have been an American fighting man and used to being critisized for it. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote