Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
donscomp
Established Member

M.O.C. #11167
New to 5ver - Glad to find you all.......

Hi All,
So glad we found you here.
We are Don & Debbie from Ventura County.CA
Long time Pusher RVer. 1st time 5ver.
And I am sure I will be FULL of questions in here. LOL
We will pick up the Montana on Thursday and leave to the track in Vegas Monday.

I am SO concerned about how they run the TV and stuff. I am use to EVERYTHING being fed from a switch box. And able to watch a dvd from the living room to all other TV's. Sat. & OR cable to ALL locations and I am afraid that isnt the way it is in these 5vers.
The entertainment system is VERY important to me. Wont have a dome or mounted dish yet. But have a portable I used for the pusher when trees were in the way of the dome.
I noticed there are 3 incoming hookups in the water dept. Then in the bedroom, 3 in one box and one that says cable with a short jumper. The living room TV has a DVD Surround sound.
Bottom line is? Untill I get this right. I will be asking a LOT of questions. LOL
Oh, those WITH a mounted dome or dish. Where did you run down TOO? and are the Montanas nomally PRE wired to the roof for sat?

Also glad I seen another post with a good idea to ask about call back updates on say the refer and stuff. I HATE walk throughs. LOL

Thanks all. VERY new at towing and like I said. SO glad we found you here.

Don

donscomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Welcome to the forum. My first suggestion would be to do a full walk-through and have the RV tech explain fully every system and it's operation, including the cable and satellite hook-ups. We have a roof-mounted Winegard Trav'ler auto search system that we are very pleased with since we just grab our Directv receivers from the house and take them with us when camping. I have discovered (pleasantly) that it is possible with the way they hooked ours up that I can have cable, satellite and antenna functional at the same time. As far as I know all of the televisions work independently of each other (we have three - living room, bedroom and we carry an additional one for outside via the basement connection). I don't think the rigs are pre-wired for roof hookups. Ask away with any questions you may have, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Welcome to the MOC.
I suggest you use this PreDeliveryInventory (PDI). Even though you had a Pusher I suggest you take your time and let your dealer know you are going to be a turtle going over every thing.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
donscomp
Established Member

M.O.C. #11167
Thank you very much. We plan on asking a lot of stuff on the walk.

May I ask. Where did you bring the feeds from the sat down at?

Don
Old 02-22-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
donscomp
Established Member

M.O.C. #11167
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Welcome to the MOC.
I suggest you use this PreDeliveryInventory (PDI). Even though you had a Pusher I suggest you take your time and let your dealer know you are going to be a turtle going over every thing.
Good luck.
TY John.
Got it.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our rig has a coat closet directly inside the front door that contains a panelled column that extends to the roof. They brought all of the satellite feeds down it which connects behind the coat closet to the basement area where they accessed the connections in the convenience center. Here is a link to a previous thread detailing the roof installation:

Winegard Trave'ler Roof Installation

and another thread showing the internal auto-seek controller installation:

Inside view

Hope this helps,
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
donscomp
Established Member

M.O.C. #11167
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Our rig has a coat closet directly inside the front door that contains a panelled column that extends to the roof. They brought all of the satellite feeds down it which connects behind the coat closet to the basement area where they accessed the connections in the convenience center. Here is a link to a previous thread detailing the roof installation:

Winegard Trave'ler Roof Installation

and another thread showing the internal auto-seek controller installation:

Inside view

Hope this helps,
Bingo
I thank you much Bingo. It is a start. NICE job BTW.
Don
Old 02-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Congrats Don, very nice looking rig. When we first got our 2010 3455 I was totally confused about the cabling in the new Monty. Basically the new ones are wired with the idea of your rig having two receivers, one for the bedroom and one for the living room. So one of the inputs feeds the bedroom and the other feeds the living. Using one receiver will not get you a signal for both tvs, without some modifications. We did not get a schematic with ours and somewhere on the MOC I was provided with one. Try doing a search as I can't seem to find it. Maybe be sure to insist your dealer provides one as it does give one a clear understanding of how these cable for tv go. Keep us posted.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here is a link to the wiring diagrams for television in Montanas. You want to look closely at the second one as it for the newer RVs.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37324&SearchTerms=tv,wiring,diagr am

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Now that's exactly what I was looking for, good job Carl.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
donscomp
Established Member

M.O.C. #11167
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Congrats Don, very nice looking rig. When we first got our 2010 3455 I was totally confused about the cabling in the new Monty. Basically the new ones are wired with the idea of your rig having two receivers, one for the bedroom and one for the living room. So one of the inputs feeds the bedroom and the other feeds the living. Using one receiver will not get you a signal for both tvs, without some modifications. We did not get a schematic with ours and somewhere on the MOC I was provided with one. Try doing a search as I can't seem to find it. Maybe be sure to insist your dealer provides one as it does give one a clear understanding of how these cable for tv go. Keep us posted.
THATS what I needed to know my friend. And was afraid of.
And lets say you went Sat to the living. Is there a way to switch from Sat to cable there? Like I said. We are use to a big ole switch box VCR/Cable/Sat/DVD/Ant for all tv's.
And the outside? Does it normally come off with the Bed tv?
Thank yo VERY much. Getting more and mor info.
Don
Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
donscomp
Established Member

M.O.C. #11167
Thank you VERY much Carl!!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:19 AM   #13
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Congratulations on your new Montana and welcome to the MOC! Agree with others, even though the walk throughs can be a bit confusing, it is a really good idea to do a thorough check of everything...catch it early and your dealer has a chance to get you on the road with a fully functioning rig. You will find that when you have questions, this forum has MANY members who are very sharp and can address just about any questions regarding your Montana (and other issues) you might have. I have been repeatedly pleased with the warm friendly atmosphere found on the MOC that other forums clearly lack. Again, welcome and hope you have many happy and safe trips with your new Montana.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #14
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Don, I can't help much with the switching between Sat & cable for the living room tv as I honestly have never used the cable input to follow it through as I always us just the sat to this point. One should be able to feed both from behind the tv and into the receiver and simply switch between the two I would think. Let us know how you make out.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
donscomp
Established Member

M.O.C. #11167
Thanks Darwin. Will tackle it the 1st of next week when we are at our destination. But it sounds as if it is either or. It doesnt appear you can feed the whole coach off a sat. OR from one receiver, feed all locations like we could do in the pusher. Man, I am gona be FULL of questions here. LOL
Thanks again.

All in one remote question.
Just got home and I cant for the life of me get the all in one remote to work. This is the remote that works the jacks, slides and all.
It worked on walk through. Any button I push. The lil blue LED flashes very quickly. He showed me when he turned it on that he pushed two buttons. But I cant get it to work. EXCEPT, the sec. light WILL go on and off. Thats it. The rest. Just fast flashes.

Any ideas?
NEVERMIND. Found a topic on this problem and gota try a few things. Then again. Maybe I just dont wana use it. LOL A few horror stories about that lil remote.
And thanks again
Don
Old 02-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There is a specific sequence that must be pressed to activate the remote. Two buttons are involved. I cannot remember the sequence but it is the lowest middle button and the one immediately above it. I think the bottom one first then the one immediately above it. Or the other way around?? You may have to have the battery disconnect turned off as well. Not much help I am afraid, but the sequence is also outlined in that dreaded piece of literature that is provided somewhere in that big stack of dreaded pieces of literature called.......Owner's manuals (yechhhhh!!!)
Bingo

Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #17
donscomp
Established Member

M.O.C. #11167
Thats Ok Bingo. You have helped this ole guy a whole lot. I DID dl the manual for the whole system so I can mess with it when I get home. Buuuut NOW it is raining. LOL Errrrr
**Update**
Goter working with a reset.
Thanks friend.
Thanks everyone on these forums
Don
Old 02-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Switching back and forth from sat to cable in the living room would be very easy. Just plug the cable in your TV and change sources. If you want to feed sat through the entire coach with one receiver you can't hook up to cable too. You have to use the cable feed to do that, but you can do it. As long as you are OK with sat only in the living room you can run cable through the entire coach. Post what you want to do specifically.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #19
atharp

M.O.C. #11172
Hello...

Will be picking up our first Montana (a High Country 313RE) in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it. Have camped since I was a kid. The husband and I have had a 73 pop-up (well broken in with not many amenities to say the least), a 1999 hybrid, a 2006 Rockwood 5'er and now are upgrading to a Montana. My sister and her husband are on their 2nd Montana and I liked them both so when we decided to take the plunge. again.. we gravitated to the Montana. Can't wait to get it. Once we get it, I'll need to figure out how to get a picture downloaded of it
atharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don N Debbie,
First, welcome. I'm an SOB, but they let me hang around here from time to time.

First, as I understand it, there are two separate inputs for televisions, one in the back bedroom and one somewhere else. It may well be that they are for two feeds for separate televisions. It doesn't feel likely that they would go to that way of hook-up, but its possible, I guess. If you are only going to use one satellite receiver, try using barrel connectors in the bedroom to hook two cables together and see if you get a signal. If so, then that would be one way to do it.

Second, I have an older satellite Dish VIP 722 receiver. It has dual inputs, and a "distribution out" that feeds a tv in the back bedroom. By trial and error I got cables hooked up that allows me to watch both tv's using satellite. On the back of my receiver is an Antenna In rf connector. for a few years I left it alone figuring it was just a way through-put to the receiver. Then, one day with almost no Honey De's I stuck the antenna in it and started messing around. What I found was that it is that it may be a through-put, but if I go into my system setting and "scan for local channels" using the satellite system menu, they will appear in my guide list, a different color, with guide like information, and I can select the tv antenna (or cable, I think - haven't tried cable.) channel using the guide selection or channel up-down button. There is no need to change "input" type.

Good luck, and again, welcome.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote