Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Anyone add rollers to thier Trailer

I have the 335RLSB trailer. It is 35' 5" long. Have any of you added rollers to the back end of your trailers frame to help when going over a dip or from a parking lot etc where there is a grade getting onto the street steep enough where you trailer could bottom out?
If so which ones did you choose and were they welded on or clamped on?
I don't think adding them to the rear bumper would help do you? Probably just cause it to bottom out sooner and the weight would probably just bend the bumper.
Has anyone had any issues with thier coach's length and it bottoming out. I haven't just looking ahead at potenial situations. I see alot of drives and other type entrances and exits at gas stations etc that have a pretty good incline coming in or going out.
Thaks

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I have towed several thousand miles & never had that to happen to me Nor heard of it happening.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I can't imagine that I would put myself in that situation. I don't even drive my car or truck into situations where doubt exists. If I ever beached the whale, I would call my emergency road service and let them handle the retrieval. It is an interesting question.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:38 PM   #4
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I had mounted heavy casters on my old TT. It sat really low to the ground and I was always draging on gas station driveways. The TT came with skid plates that were about to wear out due to use.

We cut the skid plates off. Then ran a string from the bottom of the bumper to the bottom of the rear most tire (along the frame). Then slid the caster along the frame until the bottom of the caster wheel just touched the string & mounted it there.

It worked well and kept the bumper itself off the ground.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Bob,

Not a fan of the wheels or drag tabs. Don't even want to give up an inch of clearance.

My concern is putting a torsional load on the TT. If you were to be at an angle and only one were to touch down it would put a stress torsionally through the frame.

Yep, you'll need to be attentive to the potential for you 335RLBS to drag in places like Fuel Stations with steep entry grades. You can reduce this by entering at a angle.

It's something we have built into our memory and seem to automatically adjust for and on occasion have passed some stations because of it.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:52 PM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Bob,
I have the same coach as you and do not have rollers but have considered them. I've only had an issue with dragging one time. I was going into a campground that had a stream flowing through a culvert. Above the culvert they had made a "dip" for the stream to overflow during heavy rains and come across the drive. It didn't look too severe so I went across at a diagonal. Going in and out the aluminum bumper cover scraped on the extreme driver side edge. The "dip" was just perfect for the both axles to drop into. I used a rubber hammer to bend the aluminum back into shape. I have always been careful about driving into inclines and dips. I won't be going back to that campground. So, yes like you I have thought about rollers but I'm not sure if the bumper is heavy enough to support the weight of the coach if rollers were installed. The additional length of the rollers hanging down might just exacerbate the problem.

I too would like to hear what others think.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:09 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ok, after reading your posts about TT issues. I guess the vulnerability is greater on a TT. Have to retract what I said except about the EMS.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:36 AM   #8
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We have a 315RLS TT and last year we went across a four lane divided highway and drug bottom with the back bumper. The south bound two lanes were eleveated with respect to the north boutn two lanes causing quit a bit of doming to occur. Consequence was that all of our bungie cords that we use to hold our bikes on the bumper rack were sheared off. Luckly, we were not going to fast and there was no damage to the bikes. Talked to our RV dealer and concluded to put a pair of large roller wheels on the TT where the frame meeets the bumper. Has worked GREAT!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #9
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
I put 5" casters just in front of the rear stabilizers
Montana_1953 is offline   Reply With Quote