Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2007, 04:39 AM   #1
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Suspension opinions

Fixing to replace shocks on my 1999 F350 Dually. Looking at the Bilsteins. Also looking at adding the Timbren SES system. Is this overkill? Will this help with the bounce of my Monty? Do I need both? If not, which one? Or just looking for opinion on what the best shock would be. Added a Morryde and that helped some. I have tried all of the filling fresh water tank, weight distribution on 5er, and making sure she is level. But, I am looking for just a little more smooth ride. I know it is not going to be perfect, but just trying to improve. Thanks.

chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The shocks will help with bumps and bad road, if the old ones are shot. The Timbren system I am not familiar with, if that is the rubber hollow overloads, that will only come into play if the truck is loaded so much that the suspension rides or hits on the Timbrens. I know Timbren has many suspension upgraded, just not sure what the SES is.
If the problem is with the trailer bounce, maybe you should look into one of the air bag hitches, I see you have the Mor-Ryde, that takes care of the 'chucking'. Are you sure you have the correct spring rubber in the Mor-Ryde? There is a 14K and 18K spring rubber.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
I believe you need a good shock, your choice. I had air bags on my Ford it made a world of difference. Now I tow with a new Chevy and also bought a new hitch, Trailersaver TS3. The TS3 made a world of difference again, not totally because of the air ride but because of the head. My Reese was always loose. It never was tight on the pin. There was always slop, meaning it was like putting a 1/2" bolt into a 1" hole. This caused slop, chucking, bucking etc. The TS3 holds the kingpin securely without any noticable slop. I'm stating how my hitch was period. It was a new hitch installed on the Ford and I didn't know any better. I do today. I thought all hitches would be like this on 5ers. I should have investigated more. I didn't until I bought the new truck and decided on a new hitch. I'm happy that I did. Check the hitch first, it could be an issue. Mine was.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
OZZ, yes they had sent me the wrong spring. I just had the #4 put in Friday and it did make a difference. Only towed about 50 miles with the new spring but I could tell a difference. The Timbrens are the rubber "doughnuts" that look like the air bags, but no air to have to regulate. They only come into play when the trailer is loaded and they take away the "bounce" that you get on a rough road.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, I am getting them on my new Ford. I had the airbags, they were super, but will go with the passive system this time.
I looked over the Timbrens web site last week, they have many different systems for sale. In a heavy duty instance like you have you might consider the H.D. one, AND, that may be what your model number is. I know on the regular Timbren, the bottom of the rubber 'deal' just sits on the Axel, on the H.D. unit, it has a boxed in frame. I saw a post somewhere where the bottom of the rubber was slid off to the side under a very heavy load. Timbren upgraded them to the boxed in frame type..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote