Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Fuel filter replaced- no start

Hi All,

I just replaced both fuel filters on my 2008 ford f250.
I followed instructions and installed motorcraft filters.
After finishing the job I turned ignition switch on and off for 30 seconds six times to purge the air. Well my truck starts for 10-15 seconds and dies. Did any of you had any experience like that?
Any suggestions?

Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Sounds like you still have air in the system, or the filter isn't sealed properly. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Jerzy54, I have not had that problem...I did have mine run out of diesel at a gas station...pushed it to the pump, filled it up...then agonized for like 30 minutes with key-on-off's, crank w/o start and when she finally started had to like lightly modulate the accelerator to keep it running and slowly made my way out and up the street trying to make headway and let the fuel system purge all the air out. That was NOT FUN and now I look for refuel before hitting the 1/4 mark.
There is supposed to be a water purge on the upper filter chamber which maybe a better means for purging air...using the key-on-off until diesel comes out w/o air, close off then cycle few more times...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Thanks for all your answers to my problem.
I just want to share my experience with you what happened.

After not successful attempts to start the truck I let it sit over night and see what is going to happen next morning.
Well in the morning I tried to start the engine with the same results. I was ready to call towing service over, but I
decided to try the cut off switch solution. I pressed the switch down and at the same time I was cranking the engine.
After two times I decided to try to start the engine and it started OK. Now everything seems to be normal.

One more thing I want you to know that diesel supplement manual is stating to use FD 4604 which is for 6.0L engines, FD4609 is correct number for 6.4L.

Thanks again for your answers.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Glad you're fixed and running. I can't speak for Ford, but GM has a push button on the top of the filter housing to prime the filter. I always fill the filter before putting it on though to aviod the air problem.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:46 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Jerzy'
Good to hear from you! Glad you got her started. Where is the cut off switch??? Had same problem as you on my 6.0L. Got to the top of the street and she quit after installing new filters. Before I called for a tow, I decided to re-do the filters. Started right up. I, too, think there was air in the line.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:25 AM   #7
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you too. How are the travels?

The switch on my truck is on pasenger side, you have to open the door and there is little 2"x2" access door with
crossed pump mark on it. Take it out and there is the switch. The access door is not inside the cab, but on the frame where door meets the cab.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Don't know about Ford, but GM and Yanmar both have screws that loosen, the manually bleed the system, retighten screw...never had a problem with either engine doing it that way.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've had this feature on my Ford trucks and vans since 1988 (never owned Ford cars). That's when I discovered the emergency fuel cut off switch located in the passenger side of the vehicle. I cannot see the switch, because it's on the other side of the interior plastic molding under the glove compartment but I have been able to develop the feel for it.

I had trouble only once and when the dealer's tow truck should up, the tech showed me the switch. Put your finger on the other side of the molding and press down on the round plastic reset button. Now after changing fuel filters in any Ford I just press the switch as part of my routine - and I don't know if I need to or not, but just do it anyway.

Does Dodge and Chevy have this "Feature"? Ford must have had a problem with fuel flow (fire hazard) and installed this switch some time ago.

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner to provide this info.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Art: When I got my first diesel (a 1979 diesel rabbit) I was informed of the 'panic switch' to kill the engine in case of a 'runaway' as diesels were known to occasionally start pulling oil from the crank case and continue to run, at ever increasing speeds to boot. Have seen it a couple of times in early military dueces -- sure screams.

Regardless, when I got my first Ford (1999 F250 7.3L) diesel, the sales / delivery staff showed me the kill switch; told me that they had never heard of anyone needing to use it but it was there in case it ever should need to.

I don't know of any such in my current Dodge -- I'll have to ask next time I'm at the dealership.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Art, the fuel cutoff switch is required by law in all gas and diesel vehicles after some year or other. I know my daughter's new 1987 Ford EXP had the cutoff because after she fell asleep and woke up in the median her car would not start. She was several hundred miles away and called me when the mechanic who towed it to his shop couldn't figure out how to get it to run. I suggested the fuel cutoff switch. That fixed it. The mechanic was so embarrassed he did not charge her a dime, not even for the tow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Art, the fuel cutoff switch is required by law in all gas and diesel vehicles after some year or other. I know my daughter's new 1987 Ford EXP had the cutoff because after she fell asleep and woke up in the median her car would not start. She was several hundred miles away and called me when the mechanic who towed it to his shop couldn't figure out how to get it to run. I suggested the fuel cutoff switch. That fixed it. The mechanic was so embarrassed he did not charge her a dime, not even for the tow.
Steve, does your Dodge have a fuel cutoff switch?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I don't believe the fuel shutoff is a diesel versus gas, because my Ford Aerostar and two Expeditions have had them and they were gas. Now I've had 2 Ford diesels that also have them.

I don't know about other brands.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Weird! If my Chevy has one, I'm not aware of it!

EDIT: OK then! I did a quick check on another site I belong to. GM/Chevy has a fuel shut off solenoid that cuts the fuel off when the ignition is turned off. Makes sense!

Learning more every day!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #15
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Is there a cut off switch for my 2005 ford F350 diesel? I have never seen reference to one anywhere
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
illapah... yes, I'm pretty sure there is. I had a 2004 Ford and a 2006 Ford with them. It wouldn't make sense to skip a year.

Check your truck's service manual, or get under your glove box and look or feel down behind the plastic cover next to the passenger's feet. It's something you'll need to know about if you ever have trouble starting your truck - it's the first thing to check since it is easy in comparison to other problems.

Unfortunately, you'd still be surprised how many service or tow folks do not know about this since it seems so specific - Steve Reigle pointed out a story and he's not the only one since I helped my brother-in-law once.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:37 AM   #17
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Art,
I've got an '04 F250 6.0 and I can't find any switch or any reference to same in my manual? Looked all around the passenger foot area and foud nothing. Hmm.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote