Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Timbrens

I ordered a set, here is a link to a place for $179.95, free ground UPS Shipping. (6,000#)
FYI.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:28 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
No link, Ozz. Needed another project???
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
OOps!, no, I am uncomfortably busy digging in the dirt and laying pavers.....ugh.
Here: CRS....
http://www.truckspring.com/VSearchRe...&pt=189&fv=584
Old 11-08-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
I just installed mine a couple of days ago,ordered from Truckspring.com same price and shipping free.Really like them easy to install took about 30 minutes.The 6000lb rating is more enough for towing and hauling.
bjlks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for the testimonial Brad, you always wonder. I had the Firestone air bags on my last Ford, really nice, but I wanted a passive system.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Oz...maybe you could help me with what passive Timbrens are over Firestone Airbags? Don't have either at this point of my "newby" life. Tks. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Wallnut
Established Member

M.O.C. #7561
I just put some on my truck a couple of weeks ago. I found them on Ebay from truckspring.com. They were being sold as an open box item. I was able to get them for $128...something to consider when looking.
Wallnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
mail2us
Passive is a system that sits at some pre-designed distance and in this case provides additional load compression resistance once the "gap" has been closed from adding load to the vehicle.

Airbags require inflation pressure which generates load resistance so your dependent on them not loosing capability of holding pressure.

I have wanted to make an upgrade to my truck as it does squat a bit but have been hesitant to do an airbag system as my day to day driving it unloaded and don't want the extra work of releasing air pressure then having to add it before towing....ok, I confess...I am LAZY...there I said it.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
I just removed a pair from my 05 GMC 2500HD Duramax and replaced them with Ride Rite Air Bags.
LEt me know if anyone would like to buy a pair. You need however to confirm that they would fit you 2500 first. I would imagine they would but compare the part numbers to be sure.
They worked nice but at this time I cannot compare to air bags but I think I might like the bags better at this point will know allot more when I tow with em.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Ozz hope you like the trembers, but like Bob above I think you'll go back to bags?? Bags put your head lights right where you need them, I do drive at night with the trailer (20% maybe). True you'll get a better unloaded ride with timbers. I help my ride out by taking the valve stems out of the air valve when not in tow. Time for the disclaimer you are NOT suppost to take the valves out, it does not pose a safety issue to do so. I'm still 2 yrs from retirement then the trailer will stay on the truck fulltime!!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

Oz...maybe you could help me with what passive Timbrens are over Firestone Airbags? Don't have either at this point of my "newby" life. Tks. Dennis
As I said, I had the Firestone air bags on my '06 Ford. They worked super, did a great job for me. A passive system is one you do nothing with when needed. The Timbrens are used, or come into play when you load your truck so much, it starts to lower the bed. Just like a set of helper springs, or extra leafs in your spring bundle; EXCEPT, the ride is the same as without Timbrens, unlike the extra leaf springs.
With the air bags, I would have to air them up, then deflate them when not needed. No big deal, but just the same, another thing to do. You can get an in cab air gage and control system for them.
I will be installing my Timbrens here on my RV Lot in South Padre, probably would not be doing that with the air bags.
Hope that helped clear up the passive statement.
Ozz
Noneck gave a very good answer as well.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:07 AM   #12
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I have Timbrens on my truck and they're great. I agree with Ozz that the passive is preferred. Nothing to mess with once installed....nothing to break, leak, deflate, inflate, etc. My truck is level when the trailer is on and the ride is good. The only time I get a bad ride is when I pull something with a 200-300 lb tongue weight on my bumper hitch. When they engage under this condition there is a jar, but when pulling the fiver I'm level and very controlled. I highly recommend timbrens.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:57 AM   #13
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920

Oz,

thanks for the explanation and to the others that responded as well.

I realized after asking that I probably could have gone to Air Ride and Timbrens websites fpr info but yours and others explanations on this forum is much easier to understand and the practical experiences.
Tks.
Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
No problemento, Dennis, and you are welcome. But remember some of us are full of hot air sometimes, (talking about the Ozzman)
My opinion is based on life's experiences, good and bad, different people and their experiences end up with unique opinions sometimes.
A guy has to sift through the chaff to get to the wheat.
Don't ever hesitate to throw a question out there.
Ozz