Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #1
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Clearing a 13'6" Bridge

Booked a campground in West Glacier (Montana for July) It is a new campground so no reviews to speak of, however there is mention of a Bridge just before the Campground that is 13'6", My 2019 3791RD is 13'5". since the AC covers are the highest point what is involved in removing them and would that give me and extra couple inches for safe clearance if they were easily removable? I do have air bags so I can posture the for best clearance as well.

The Bridge sign says 13'6" however it is slightly arched so I would assume the 13'6" is on the far side (lowest point)

Here is the google map view of the bridge the campground is just about a mile on the other side of that bridge

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4951...7i13312!8i6656

I do have on board air compressor however not sure airing down is viable option with this weight. Any other thoughts appreciated.

I Am probably ok to get under this bridge however need plans B-?

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:10 PM   #2
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
You could safely air down for a short distance such as going under the bridge but I would measure how high I am, measuring from the ground to the top of the front air after airing down and airing up on level ground to see just how tall you really are. You might or might not be the 13'5'' you think you are. I would also contact the campground you are planning to stay at and they should be able to tell you if they have seen any problem with other rv's clearing the bridge. If the bridge says 13'6'' then that should be at the lowest point traveling under the bridge and if you have an arch then I would travel right under the arch if possible for more clearance and peace of mind. I can't imagine an rv park having a bridge that customers have to travel under and have a low clearance problem.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:13 AM   #3
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I can't imagine an rv park having a bridge that customers have to travel under and have a low clearance problem.

My sentiments exactly, especially given that this is a fairly new campground, and rigs have only been getting bigger in the past few years. I could understand it if this bridge was built in the 1960s or 1970s, but not in the last decade! That is just nuts!

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:24 AM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The RV park should know if big rigs can make it under that bridge. Call them and ask.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:52 AM   #5
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Hi

we passed it last year without the monty as we stayed at east glacier.
Honestly we thought wow ... it states 13.6 so you should be able to trust it, right?

I wouldn't - but you hardly see any markings.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4952...7i13312!8i6656

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	westglacierbridge.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	5500  

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
What is the name of the Campground. We are starting plans for a trip to Glacier this year.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you haven't measured for yourself when hooked up, you should do it. We are almost thirteen six when hooked up.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #8
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
What is the name of the Campground. We are starting plans for a trip to Glacier this year.
It is a new park that opened up last June (2019) there are reviews from two that mentioned the Low bridge, one said they showed up and were not willing to attempt the bridge so the campground canceled and refunded them, the campground is aware of the bridge height, however they make no mention on their webpage.

The Campground is West Glacier RV Park and Cabins it is located within walking distance to the village and park entrance. It is the best RV park location in West Glacier. We were really excited to stay at this park being so close to everything.

https://www.glacierparkcollection.co...v-park-cabins/

I just called the RV park they did admit they were aware of one Rv that had problems getting under however they were only open for a short time last year. They did say that semi's who service the village pass under with no problem. I did ask them if they can confirm the ACTUAL bridge height and get back to me and they said they would as they were sure somewhere in the construction planning that bridge height was addressed.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If you haven't measured for yourself when hooked up, you should do it. We are almost thirteen six when hooked up.
What he said.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
We have an RV carport we store the 5er in I had to notch the front facia for the 5er to get in I measured with a laser at that time I was 13'4.5" when hooked to the truck. I do have an Andersen hitch and airbags so I do have front adjustments.

With that said I did not measure both A/C's only the front, does anyone know if both are the same height or is the front higher or vice versa?
Old 02-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #11
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
No, way, wouldn't trust that sign and airing down the bags on your truck won't help because you're not airing down the fiver. Once you air down your truck, then, your truck and fiver becomes a V and the ass end of your fiver sticks up more and could hit. I would find another route and measure the height of your rig when you're hooked up.
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #12
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Maybe this is what I need, anyone using this or something similar.

I did talk to the RV park there is another option which is a 38 mile detour of which 10 miles is dirt road

https://giraffeg4.com/collections/rv-collection/#RVShop

Old 02-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #13
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Maybe this is what I need, anyone using this or something similar.

I did talk to the RV park there is another option which is a 38 mile detour of which 10 miles is dirt road

https://giraffeg4.com/collections/rv-collection/#RVShop

With that, I'd think it'd be too late if you're in a clearance area. I'd want to know a head of time what the height it.

I use google maps (satellite view) for a pre trip planning, then my garmin 770 GPS, and then a truckers atlas to actually plan my route and check and check the route again before rolling

I'd rather go the extra 10 miles and deal with a dirt road then worrying about making the fiver a convertible. When we roll out of CT, I go an extra 40 or so, to miss the parkway and not go over the GW bridge, so the extra miles are worth it in the long run.
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #14
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdownthehighway View Post
I'd rather go the extra 10 miles and deal with a dirt road then worrying about making the fiver a convertible. When we roll out of CT, I go an extra 40 or so, to miss the parkway and not go over the GW bridge, so the extra miles are worth it in the long run.
Look I do not mind a little dirt road action however these are gravel washboard and pothole ridden roads, 10-miles is significant with 40 5er and truck on rough windy narrow dirt road. Our 5er is also full body paint so that is a concern also. That road is a last option as it is 2-3 hour detour.

Does anyone know if I can skim an inch or two by removing the A/C covers?

I do appreciate all the discussion.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #15
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
We have an RV carport we store the 5er in I had to notch the front facia for the 5er to get in I measured with a laser at that time I was 13'4.5" when hooked to the truck. I do have an Andersen hitch and airbags so I do have front adjustments.

With that said I did not measure both A/C's only the front, does anyone know if both are the same height or is the front higher or vice versa?
The front a/c should always be higher than the rear by several inches and if it's not then your front end would be riding pretty low and that would be just the opposite of what I see traveling. If you are running level then your front is higher.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #16
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
The front a/c should always be higher than the rear by several inches and if it's not then your front end would be riding pretty low and that would be just the opposite of what I see traveling. If you are running level then your front is higher.

The AC units on the 3790/91RD are the same height on the roof.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #17
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
The AC units on the 3790/91RD are the same height on the roof.
Well I guess there is an exception to every rule. Thanks for noting this.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #18
TWC84
Established Member

M.O.C. #20918
We're going to head to Glacier sometime in the next year or two. Would appreciate an update on what you end up doing.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #19
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Can’t help with actual height. But zooming in on the bridge picture it appears the arch is higher than the darker inside sections (underside of above roadway) meaning those dark underside areas are the actual 13’-6” clearance. So the fact of no marks on the facing of the arch doesn’t speak for what might be on the underside of the inside sections.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:33 PM   #20
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
You said you are 13'5". Is that what you have measured when hitched or going off the Montana brochure specs.
When we hitch ours settles on the TV pretty good. I have actually measured 13'4" hitched on a level concrete pad at the highest point which is our front AC unit.
Will you get more room by removing the cover?
Take it off and see.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote