Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Flag etiquette

While watching the evening news about Usama Bin Laden's death today, we saw footage of young Americans with American Flags wrapped around them celebrating the news.

While we certainly support the enthusiasm displayed by these people, and the fact that they are young and involved, we couldn't help but notice that they haven't been educated on the etiquette of our Flag.

So, we emailed the news organization, Facebook and Twitter with the express intent to positively reinforce what most of us were taught in grade school:

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good on you guys!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We second Ozz!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And third.

It is so unfortunate that the U.S. Flag Laws are not enforced.

A few weeks ago, Earlene was watching a parade here in TC. As the colors came by she stood and placed her hand over her heart. Other onlookers just stood there, and some even remained seated. Shame on them. I hope I am sometime around someone like that when the colors come by. I'm very outspoken.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I support the youngsters enthusiasm also but the youngsters now-a-days are not taught anything about the flag how it is to be displayed or what is actually stands for! Being the Commander of my local American Legion Post, I run across this quite a bit when we put on our Veteran's Day Program at the local school and also at our Memorial Day Programs. Actually it is not just the youngsters, there are many adults that don't know flag etiquete. What actually bothers me are those that wear a shirt that looks like a US flag or a tie that looks like it had been made from a US flag. I've even seen some of my fellow Legionaires wearing these ties and I tend to mention it to them when I see them. You should see the looks I get from them when it happens. The next time I see them they are not wearing that tie anymore!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Waynem I am still trying to get pass the part where you are outspoken I would never have believed that my friend. LOL. But you ARE Right!!
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639

I also support the youngsters enthusiasm.
At least they were not burning it, like when I was in the Viet Nam in the 60's.
they stoped teaching that sorta stuff in school, too bad.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
I fly the Flag, I also have a tie that has the Flag on it which I will wear from time to time. The tie is not a Flag but rather red & white stripes with some stars on a field of blue. I also fly the Texas Flag, but never higher than the US Flag. I stand for the Flag and also place my hand over my heart. I hope my tie is never taken for anything, but showing love of country.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just a note on flag etiquette. It has to actually be an American flag for the etiquette to apply. If you would note at Disney world in Florida on main street flags fly on top on nearly every building. They are not lighted at night or ever taken down. You can see this in other parts of the park as well... However if you look closely you will note that they do not have the proper number of stars or stripes in the proper order...They are not actual American flags therefore etiquette does not apply. Same might be said for ties, shirts shopping bags, ect. Something red white and blue with stars
does not make it a American flag. I do agree about knowing the proper etiquette. I see many flags displayed improperly on RV's when displayed with other flags . We belong to FCRV a USA , Canada Rv organization and when in Canada there is a different etiquette..Foreign country you know. We also run into this with Lions international.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When in a foreign country the etiquette to follow is that of the host country. When in the USA, the etiquette is that of the USA.

Last year I was in an RV park, that when you approached the main entrance (gate) the US Flag was on my right as I was looking at it. This was incorrect. The US Flag is always on it's own right. So as I was looking at the entrance it should have been on my left, which makes it on its "own right." I notified the office and they said they would have it moved. Two days later when I departed it was still in the same place. Some people just don't understand the etiquette.

Think of a stage. There are two flags, on of which is the US Flag. As the US Flag looks out upon the people in front of the stage, it will be on its own right. The people looking at the flag will see it on their left.

When the US Flag is flown on a pole with another flag on a separate pole but in the same vicinity, the US Flag should be higher than the other flag.

In a setting of three flags, the US Flag will always be in the center, and the other senior flag will be on its right.

Ooops! on a soap box, just being a little "outspoken" (Thanks Bobby.)
Old 05-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Wayne I am just sitting and reading you are doing a great job!! A friend of mine always said you go ahead and talk while I pat my foot. And I have been taught a few things from this discussion also. Thanks
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Right after 9/11, there was a great show of patriotism and displaying of the flag. Unfortunately, many displayed the flag incorrectly by hanging it vertically with the stars in the upper right corner...they are ALWAYS in the upper left corner. It got to be so bad, I made copies of the proper way to display the flag and put them in mail boxes, on front doors and to people who I could catch with an incorrect flag. Most were very appreciative, but some wanted to argue.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
There are many places on the web to find out about flag handling and display. But it is interesting to note that although there are sort of some laws regarding this issue there is not any real enforcing of them. In addition even the Supreme Court has ruled several times that curtailment of how the flag can be dealt with interferes with the First Amendment of Free Speech. So about the best we can hope for is that most folks will deal with our National banner in an honored and respectful manner.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
All we can do is educate the uneducated. We can try harder in that endeavor.

Yes, when displaying the U.S. Flag on a wall, or side of building, the Blue Field with Stars assumes its own right, just like the entire flag assumes its own right when flying with another flag. Kind of simple, but some just don't get it.

I'm just trying to live up to Bobby's image of me.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Most folks know little if anything about how to display the flag. we do because we belong some organizations and we need to display the flag correctly.. However I would rather see the flag displayed
not exactly properly than not displayed at all.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote