Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Tow vehicle

Hi all,
It has been a while since I have posted anything but I wanted to post and relate my experience with GM2500 vs GM3500 trucks.
I am lucky to own both and have been towing my 3475RL with my DRW for years and I have been itching to try towing with the 2500 and did it today and I was shocked! I have same LBZ/6sp Ally in each with same Edge Evo tuner set on level 2. Got Firestone bags on the 2500HD.

I thought that the truck would bounce all over the road and it did not! I went over some really rough cement pavement and bridge expension joints and I felt less road with my E-rate 265/75/16 then with the DRW. My DW even commented on it and said that maybe we should keep it as the tow vehicle since it is easier to sightsee with because of the narrow body and tighter turn radius.

I know that the weight police will tell me that I am crazy and it is illegal to town with it being overweight ect ect but in NC I can register my vehicle for more than the sticker on the door as long as I do not exceed the axle rating or tire capacity and at this point I have 1 total of 5900lbs on back tires with a capability of 6884 on the tires so I should be good. My goose-neck and B&W companion hitch allows me to turn at 90 degrees without a slider so I am not sure what the down side would be to tow with the 2500HD since I only use the 3500DRW for towing the camper and only have 18000 miles in 3.5 years of owning it.(I use the SRW crewcab short bed for work)

Has anyone else had same experience?

Please, keep the legal comments to a minimun as the sticker on the door is a recommendation and not a legal guide line. I know severl people on diesel place that hotshot with the DRW registered at 38K and go all over the lower 48 and stop at every stations and never got a ticket for being over the GVW.

ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Tow with whatever you are comfortable with. It's a personal choice. From your post, it sounds as though you are towing with a gooseneck. I would be more concerned about that. From what I understand, you can put undue strain on the fifth wheel frame. They aren't built like a gooseneck trailer.
P.S. If you can, join us this coming weekend at the Mid-Atlantic Rally in Wytheville, VA.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree with Jim, this personal choice needs delved into in great detail over a campfire with us in Wytheville next weekend!!!
Sorry, for the double Ads!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
I am towing with a B&W Turnover ball with a 5th wheel companion hitch adapter.
Man, I wish I knew about it. I am going to the Jellystone in Natural Bridge Station, VA from the 6th to the 11th! I used to go to the KOA in Wythville and liked it. Love the area.

As to the DRW to SRW I am going to have have a hard time selling the DRW. It is my baby. My wife says I tear up when I talk about selling it. That truck has been so good to me. I might keep both since I use one for work and occasionally tow with the SRW when we are going in cities that we are doing a lot of driving in. I guess I am lucky to be able to do that.

Do you all get together and RV as a group often?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I've owned and towed with both. Never had a problem towing with a SRW truck. I chose a DRW because a decked out duallie is one bad ride!

Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ejc1214

I know that the weight police will tell me that I am crazy and it is illegal to tow with it being overweight ect ect
Who said it's illegal?
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
This ought to be fun! You know you can't tow that much with that 2500 badge on that truck!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here we go again.
In my case, I tow with a GMC 2500HD D/A Short Bed and will continue to until GM adds the 3500 SHORT BED Single Rear Wheel to it's line up.
Do I need the 3500? Not in my opinion. Do I need a DRW? He&& No.
Over the years, both my 2003 and 2005 2500HDs have done the job in every conceivable driving situation. Everything from hauling up mountains and down the other side. Panic stops and maneuvering to avoid an accident. I can think of no valid reason to go to a 3500 other than to finally get the "Weight Police" off my back.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
The only thing I would add to this discussion is wheel weight capacity. I mention this because GM uses aluminum wheels on the 2500 and steel wheels on the 3500 SRW. When I ordered ours, I was told I couldn't get the aluminum wheels because they weren't weight rated high enough to match the capacity of the 3500 SRW. I don't know if that was true or not, since I don't know what the two wheels are rated at.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:00 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have owned several of the 2500HD's and 3500HD's and both are awesome Trucks, when they are equipped with the Duramax/Allison. But when you have heavy Pin weight there is the difference. You will never sell anyone on something they don't like. People are just different, and your not going to change them. That little tag on the door jam is there for a reason! ejc1214 its great to have a choice, when towing and its alway good to have a back-up. Just one other thing if your towing the Montana line the 2500HD series works ok but try towing the best 5th wheel Keystone ever designed the Cambridge with the 2500HD you will know the difference in its towing ability vs the 3500HD's. I towed the Cambridge thru the Rockies with the 2005 GMC 3500HD (never overheated) and had a pin weight of 3800 lbs and total weight of 25,600 but the Cambridge did have disk brakes. So be Happy, life is to short. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Cambridge with a SRW? I don't think I would be confy with that! This for me is just an experiment, I think. I will tow most of the time with the DRW but, like I said, when going into cities for sight seeing I might tow with the 2500HD. Since I had the truck and only needed to get the B&W Turnover ball installed to use with the companion 5th wheel hitch, I figured "why not?". I will be using the goose-neck for work in the future so I am not losing anything.

Anyway, the reason I posted was that I was amazed that the 2500HD handle the 2800lbs pin weight as well as it did and the ride was actually smoother than the 3500HD DRW. I just never expected it and thought it would be bouncing all over the road and it did not.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Here we go again! Tow with whatever YOU feel comfortable with and don't let anyone tell you that you are legql or illegql.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Lawman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7940
There was a very good post on this subject by a fellow attorney a few months ago, you can probably find it with the 'search' function. It is very informative, the bottom line is that if you tow over weight and are in an at fault accident, you can very well end up liable. That's one reason I have a dually.
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lawman

There was a very good post on this subject by a fellow attorney a few months ago, you can probably find it with the 'search' function. It is very informative, the bottom line is that if you tow over weight and are in an at fault accident, you can very well end up liable. That's one reason I have a dually.
I believe what you are referring to is a post of another post found on the internet. No credentials as to the author of the OP what so ever. I could probably recall the member that posted that on this site, but that thread was closed, so I'll just let you search it out. I see you are a "mostly retired attorney". Are you prepared to make a blanket statement like that with your credentials attached to it?

BTW, I think that if you have an accident towing within weight with that dually, and you are at fault, you can be found liable here in TX. And that's not from an attorney, simply a retired mechanic.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've towed many years and many miles with a SRW and have yet to experience a white knuckle moment or ever feel on the edge of control. A dually is fine but I don't believe it is necessary for a Montana. Maybe for some of the heavier Big Sky units but not the Montana.

It is NOT illegal to tow over those ratings in the USA. It is, I understand, a different story for those living in Canada. My attorney told me this and also told me my exposure is that should we be at fault in an accident then an attorney might try to show it was caused by being over the ratings. However, they would have to prove it. I've yet to hear of any accident shown to be caused by being over the ratings and we're not enough over to carry much weight in such a discussion, in my opinion.

If you want to stay within ratings, then most of the Montanas will need to be towed by a dually.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #16
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
sorry guys. I did not mean to start a fight. Like I said I wanted to relate what I discovered for myself and to see if anyone else had had same experience. That is why I said what I said about the weight police. I have a very good attorney that took on Monaco Coach and won on my behalf(settle it anyway) and legally he also said that I was fine as the tag on door is just a recommendation from GM for their legal benefit and that on the road DOT rules.

Anyway, I will be signing off the post right now before it gets nasty. Happy trails and be safe no matter what you tow with!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #17
Lawman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7940
One of the reasons I do not post often on this forum is the totally incorrect information posted regarding certain subjects, and I do not wish to get bogged down in a discussion with a poster who know not what he speaks. Weight is one of those areas.

I know personally the originator of the information contained in the post mentioned earlier. It is true and factual. Those drivers of over weight vehicles who like to say the ratings (GW, tires, axles, etc) are "guidelines" are totally wrong, and can easily proven so in a court of law. Yes you can register your vehicle for more weight than the GVWR, however that does not relieve you of liability if you exceed the MANUFACTURER'S weight limits. The states that register vehicles in that manner are interested in fees generated, it's up to you to remain within weight limits.

This is my last post on this subject.
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Actually I agree with Lawman, in that there is no difference between legal and right. If we know we aren't doing what's right, then it's wrong (including speeding or driving after a few brewskis). If you are overweight it doesn't matter if you have a vehicle that has a rocket jet engine in it and you can go 100 mph up a 6% grade while towing 7 tons. It's still wrong and only becomes illegal and punishable when someone gets hurt or dead. How many of us have heard of overweight trucks, going down the wrong hill and plowing into a vehicle because they THEN found they couldn't stop for the light at the bottom of the hill because the hill was steeper than thought and they were too heavy. Ask the victim or their remaining family how they feel about what was right, but not illegal.

I may be exaggerating my feelings and am very sorry for those who may be offended with how I put things, but for ejc1234 and his SRW or DRW, I say whatever works for him but if he's posting for opinions, mine is that as long as it satisfies weight ratings, knock yourself out. The weight ratings on the truck are what the manufacturer is willing to be liable for in the event of a problem and you are responsible for anything after that. You then look for what's comfortable.

I have seen many members post that safety comes first. Anything else and I pray nothing bad or wrong comes from it. Most laws come about when too many wrongs create the need to make it a legality issue. Like wearing seatbelts, smoking in public places or things many of us used to consider freedoms but have been legislated away because of too many problems from folks who took the freedoms too far.

ejc1234 - good luck with your decision and thanks for allowing and accepting us to share our opinions.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
My problem with posts such as from the attorney, is there is nothing to substantiate his statement. Sure if you are overweight and have an at fault accident you can be held liable. By the same token, if you are at fault, you can be held liable if all your weights are in line (happens every day). If you are going to post laws on here, back them up; otherwise, they are merely more gossip. I am not questioning that the above poster is an attorney; but my nephew is a New York attorney, and I can assure you he does not know whether overweight towing is illegal or not (especially in TX or any other state). He is a real estate attorney. So if you want to back up a statement, throw some credentials at us.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #20
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Unlawful - against the law
Illegal - a sick bird
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote