Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
NO Heat. 😬

So I come home from work at 4pm on Christmas Eve and furnace is silent and coach is chillin. And NOBODY answers there phones, especially for RV Service and Repair, HA! We are in Idaho and it is right at 30 degrees with about 2.5 “ of snow. ��
We have been able to keep it warm with the fireplace and a small rotating space heater blowing towards the vents in the stair risers to keep the Bay Area heated.
The thermostat doesn’t change anything, there is zero activity at the furnace. Reset = no change, the only LED activity is what looks like a steady blink or strobe, no pauses, etc. which data on blower indicates “Internal error”. Have tried cutting power, resetting breaker (was not tripped), reset switch on blower, thermostat way down, then off, all to no avail. But I did have the 15 amp 12 volt fuse be blown when I came home today. Have NOT replaced that yet.
Bad Ignitor circuit board? I read online here and elsewhere, that the dinosaur is the preferred solution. We are full time and safely in a park long term for couple more years. The furnace is an Atwood 8535 horizontally in A 2014 3402rl Montana 5th wheel. So anybody have any constructive advice ?(I am plenty well versed in smart-ass, so please save it for yer in laws).

2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
Why don't you try to replace the 15 amp fuse?
Old 12-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
Thanks for the reply, the fuse was NOT blown anytime prior to this afternoon. So getting home from the kids house and Christmas stuff, and it being dark, I don’t want to mess with it til daylight. And I know that the fuse is not what is stopping the blower. And I don’t need an electrical fire in the dark.��
Old 12-26-2019, 05:39 AM   #4
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
I would check YouTube for "RV Furnace Repair" to see if there is anything you can do yourself. Since you say the furnace is totally unresponsive, it does not sound like the sail switch or internal thermostat. Maybe there is another troubleshooting suggestion on YouTube. If you have a digital multimeter you can check for voltage going into the furnace and maybe at strategic places, like coming out of the control board. Look for a troubleshooting section in the furnace manual and check the manufacturer's web site for support.
PS: Check that fuse with a continuity tester and not just a visual inspection.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
There is a furnace troubleshooting file in the files section.
Since you have no power indications I would start with the fuse. You can use a regular fuse for troubleshooting.
Before you start that I would check and reseat all the wiring.
Good luck.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
jjfleck
Established Member

M.O.C. #19826
I would bet that it is the board. Use the dinosaur board, it is a much better quality board then the Chinese junk that atwood been using. I believe the dinosaur board you need is the fan 50 plus, you can get one for about 100 bucks on amazon.
jjfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #7
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
Thanx

Thanx to all for your good advice. I had to go to work so got the local rv tech out here and he cleaned it all out and could not find anything wrong and it fired right up and zero problems since. I will be doing complete PM this spring and get a spare Dino board as well. Thanx again. As always this forum is awesome!
Old 01-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #8
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
So.... the furnace goes dead again while I’m at work, go home change fuse and it works fine. Call the rv tech and he comes out in a.m. and changes motor and I have him install a dinosaur ignitor board too. All works great now. When I spin the motor shaft I can feel it going. “Lump-lump”. So it was about gone.