Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
Montana_2872
Established Member

M.O.C. #2872
Wanting to buy a Montana

Hi everyone,
Rick and I are new members and looking at our first Montana. We currently have a Jayco but want to move on to bigger and better. We have heard that Montana is the way to go. My husband has seen the Montanas and just loves them. I'm going to see them this weekend. His preference is the 3400 RL. Oh by the way, we are Canadian so the price tag in CDN. dollars is $63,000.00. This fifth wheel would be fully loaded though. We were just wondering what the pros and cons of Montana's are and what questions to ask such as any problems with leaks, do the 4 slides need stabilizer jacks, etc.. Any input would be greatly appreciated before we make our decision.
Regards from Wyoming, Ontario, Canada !!!! Brrrrrrr
Heather and Rick Williams

Montana_2872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Heather & Rick, Welcome to the MOC forum. I am sure you will get lots of positive feedback to your post. We love our Montana. We have had it for almost 2 years and if and when we decide to trade it will definitely be for another Montana. The folks at Keystone have been wonderful with even the smallest of problems. We have had no major problems with our unit. Enjoy the forum.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Not sure what you mean by "fully loaded" but I would expect "Big Sky"??? Thermopane windows??? Arctic package??? Glass not filon exterior???... that sort of thing????
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
Montana_2872
Established Member

M.O.C. #2872
Thank you so very much Tom and Joyce !!! I think I can safely say that at this point, we are going with the Montana !!! When we bought our Jayco, 9 years ago, it was fully loaded and cost $25,000 for a 263RK with a Super Slide so I guess $63.000 really isn't out of line. We are also looking at the 35 and 36 ft. as well. Oh decisions, decisions !!! Will keep you posted as to what we purchase.
Regards,
Heather and Rick
Old 01-18-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
Montana_2872
Established Member

M.O.C. #2872
Hi Gruffy,
By fully loaded I mean Arctic Package, all the extras in the Moving to Montana Package, Value Package, etc.. Will bring home the specs tomorrow and email you with all the info.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I've got a 3670RL Big Sky here .... I'm familiar with the packages. I'd recommend the thermopane windows... I understand that it is possible to get an Arctic package without them (go figure??)

Best of luck with your new home!!!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:36 PM   #7
Montana_2872
Established Member

M.O.C. #2872
Hello again Gruffy,
My brochure reads Deep tint wwindows, safety glass windows ? No mention of thermopane but will ask. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi Williams,

The 3400RL is one of our favorite models. It's really a beauty. It's a big seller and there are numerous MOC members with that model.

We are on our second Montana and fourth fifthwheel. We would not hesitate to buy another Montana (budget willing, of course!). They are not perfect, but then none of them are. But I think if you look around in this forum you'll find frequent reference to "best bang for the buck". Montana has been the best selling trailer in North America for four years in a row. At the Tampa RV Show last week we heard they outsold the second biggest seller 2 to 1, but I've not seen numbers to confirm that.

And, of course, having this forum to support you is a big plus. As is having Keystone as the manufacturer. You'll also find mention many times in this forum of incidents where Keystone has gone above and beyond in support. They're not perfect, either, but are by far the best of the three different FW manufacturers we have purchased from.

Good luck, Montana or not. Let us know your decision. Personally, I'm waiting to hear your reaction to the 3400RL. Be prepared to fall in love.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Don't be fooled by the model number (3400) in relationship to its length. It's probably 37' long instead of the 34' that the number leads you to believe. We thought we were buying 34' when we purchased our 3380RL. She's actually 37' long. But we love every inch of it!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #10
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Heather and Rick, you'll love the New Montana. I highly recommend the Dual Paned Windows we have them. Are you going to order a new one or take one off the lot?

We have several members from Canada and more specifically Ontario. OntMont comes to mind and they recently got a new Montana. They would be able to better help you find out if the price is in line or not.

Do a member search for OntMont and send them an e-mail via the forum.

Wishing you all the best in your search and choice.

Oh yea, Welcome to the Montana Owner's Club

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:28 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Heather and Rick,
I have the 3400RL and would recommend it to anyone who asked me what I think. This is my second Montana and love it. Be prepared for the length of the 3400RL is actually a tad over 39' long. In answering your questions, I bought my coach back in April and have used it at the lake as a lake cabin from May to October. Have not had any problems with any leaks. (knock on wood) I leave all four slides out for the full 6 months and do not use any type of jacks under them. I bring them in usually once a month to keep things running smoothly. I love having all the room in my coach as I usually get at least two unexpected guests showing up over the weekend and there is enough room to go around. Good luck on your decision..
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:15 AM   #12
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
Aha! Moving from Wyoming to Montana And don't you just love the weather we've been having lately.

The 3400RL is a nice layout, but don't go by the model number to determine the length. The 3400RL is a big trailer.

We have our 3685FL at a seasonal site and don't put jacks under the slides. Like Montana Sky, I just run them in and out every month or so. We've had a few problems but any that did show up were minor and I repaired them myself. Ours has the Arctic Package without the Thermopane windows. We spent New Years Eve in it without a problem. I would definitely buy another Montana if I were ever in the market.

I would recommend you take a close look at the brochure and confirm with your dealer exactly what "fully loaded" means. RV Hotline Canada www.rvhotlinecanada.com has a number of 3400RL's for you to compare prices.

Good luck with your decision. I'm off to the Toronto RV Show on Friday, just to check things out
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #13
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
The 3400 is the unit that attracted us most - no complaints and this is our 3rd keystone product (previous units were Mountaineers by Montana) - BTW that was in the space of 12 months!

I would double check the extras very carefully - at the price quoted it seems to me it is not "fully loaded".

We will be at the Toronto RV show on Thursday
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:04 AM   #14
JimCin
Established Member

M.O.C. #1755
Heather and Rick.
We have a 3400 and love it. Before you buy check with Owen Sound Dealer Gordon Trailer Sales. Ask for Steve. We checked prices across Canada before we bought and he was by far the best price. 1-800-939-2631 or 519-372-0386.
Hope this helps.
Happy trails
JIMCIN
JimCin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:50 AM   #15
Montana_2872
Established Member

M.O.C. #2872
Thanks for all your replies. The 3400 RL Montana we are look at is priced at CDN. $65,660 but we have not started negotiating yet. This price includes the Value Package and Moving to Montana Package. Options are central vac, arctic insulation pkg, fireplace, 15.0 BTU A/C-Ducted, Ceiling Fan, fantastic vent fan in kitchen and bedroom, hydraulic selector valves, washer dryer prep, exterior shower, 2nd recliner/IPO Swivel, carbon monixide detector, 18' metal slide tray, day/night shades, high back desk chair, end table & lamp, free standing dinette & 4 chairs, hide-a-bed sofa and recliner/glider IPO swivel... Do you think this is a fair price ? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Heather and Rick
Old 01-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #16
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
More then we paid for an 03 Big Sky 3670RL..pretty much the same equipment but we have the thermopanes, and the Big Sky upgrades a lot of things like faucets, gel coat exterior, custom paint etc.

Don't have my documents with me.... and I haven't been back in the market.... but you should have room to negociate.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Williams -

Best of luck with the 3400. We love ours, and it is a long ways to the back of it. The price, converted to U.S. dollars doesn't seem out of line, but its hard to know. Our dealer put all of our money in the trade-in. I am sure you will really enjoy your new home. Unfortunately for those of us "northern" dwellers, it will be a few months yet before we're ready for the Montana to be occupied. The campground where we store our Montana doesn't open until April 1. Counting the days.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:52 AM   #18
jayers
Established Member

M.O.C. #2876
We are thinking about buying a 2005 3400rl it has all the options that the Williams but it also has a Sofa Table, King Bed list price was $57,571. We saw it a the Pittsburgh RV show and the show price was $44,521. We are trading a 2003 Holiday Rambler in on it.

John and Peggy
jayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:04 AM   #19
Montana_2893
Established Member

M.O.C. #2893
As I noted in another thread my wife and I are looking at the 3400rl also. We like the layout the best of all the models except for the fact that the bathroom is in the master bedroom and there is no privacy screen between it and the bed. I was wondering if an 3400 owners had a similiar concern? I was thinking of the possiblity of hanging a ceiling track with curtain so on those few times we have guests staying we could have a little privacy at night.

My other question is for 3400 owners who have the thermopane windows. My dealer said the omnly problem with those is that you cannot get jollesy (sp?) windows when you order the thermo pane ( only sliders). Exactly what type of windows do you get in the 3400 when you order thremopane....also. is it true that the bedroom window does not open?

Thanks
Montana_2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:55 AM   #20
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I'll bet the dealer didn't tell you that you also don't get the condensation running down the windows, or that the windows don't fog up.

Up in Canada that was no problem... here in Florida... watching the neighbors... we're glad we got 'em.

As far as the bedroom goes, the windows are smaller but the fantastic fan pulls air through the bedroom like a tornado... venting has been no problem.

Note my post on sun shades in the improvements thread. If I had the crank out windows I could not have done that. With sliders I can hang the shades and still open the window .... that fabric lets the air flow through.